Author Topic: Making the melody with a guitar?  (Read 908 times)

kentl

Making the melody with a guitar?
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:17:38 am »
Okay so I got the chords and all that and all thats left is making the melody for the words

few problems, First off I can't sing, in the sense that I have no idea how to hit any notes with my voice nor can i under stand the "right bretahing tecniques had many a teacher pull their hair out for me

So I heard about making it on the guitar

Any one give more detials on how to do this?

i mean it seems steight forward but so dose sining  :P

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Making the melody with a guitar?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:04:00 am »
Justin is just now releasing a new series of lessons:

Folk Fingerstyle
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/FO-000-Folk.php
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-202-FolkFingerstyle.php

You may or may not be writing songs in the folk style but I think this may be useful to you.

He is going to teach methods to play open chords and incorporate notes from the open position major scales ...

and the combination of these two things is exactly what you need ... the ability to play a chord and know which notes are sitting under / near your fingers that can be used to create a melody

:)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42:25 am »
if you know what key you're in, you can try out a scale that fits your chords.

if you've got a basic understandign on how to improvise over chords, you'll be making a melody in no time without trying every single note on your guitar.

perhaps, if you can tell us how the song is built (chords, style of the song, ..) we can give you a little push in the back on what scales you could apply. Knowing a scale in only one position can be enough to get you started, as long as you keep it in mind to go broader than that one shape in the future.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

kentl

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:18:22 pm »
Folk huh? Never even throwout about it before, then again I did not even know you needed to sing a note in the chord  :D

As for the chords its basically this (some times I add a C or do only one bar of each chord or what ever

Am, Am, Em, Em, Am, Am, G, D, F, F

So I figured it was A minor pentatonic but I tried it just now and maybbe its i need pratice with it
but really i dont hear a melody in there

Get The Forum As A Mobile App