Author Topic: Firefox Upgrading - Word of Warning  (Read 1048 times)

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
Firefox Upgrading - Word of Warning
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »
Several valuable hours lost tonight trying to bring a dead PC back to life all on account of upgrading FF to 4.
Saved a restore point. Did the upgrade (to see if it would work with all addons). It didn't. Did a system restore.
FF was dead. Wouldn;t even start and no process to show for trying to start it!
Am now restoring from a TrueImage backup. But what a waste of time.
Wish these programmers would learn their trade.
Just saying.... beware. The new install seems to screw something up that even a sys restore won't mend.
Pain in the but eeh. >:(
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
Re: Firefox Upgrading - Word of Warning
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:20:48 pm »
I'm running 5.0 without problems. Thanks though.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:16:49 pm »
Hi Cue... long time...
I'm running 5 on a couple of PCs and have installed for clients as well. It is good, I agree. However, what gets me is that these software peeps don't really think about peoples' "comfort zone".
I've been running 3 on my personal "surfing" machine with all sorts of addons that essentially change it into a different browser and a very nice one at that - for my purposes. (I've just counted them and there are 36). And I do understand that addons are 3rd party and that Mozilla is not directly responsible for them all. I don't think that it's too much to ask, however, to expect an upgrade to say... "hang on, if you DO upgrade then you'll lose these addons... are you sure". Then one could see what one was missing and make a decision to upgrade or not. The new FF installs but only informs one AFTER the event that one has lost X amount of addons. That's just rude!

I had my own way of getting around that (or thought so)... by setting a sys restore point. However the FF5 install puts several DLLs in protected space (I now suspect) so that the sys restore does not do a genuine and full restore. That's naughty. It means that one can't revert. Well I did in the end (from a drive image backup) but it was a pain and I lost the machine for over an hour while it was getting back on its feet.

All I'm saying is this... I know my way around PCs very well. I feel sorry for the average user who just needs to get on with things, who needs to bid on that eBay item coming up in 5 minutes or who needs to get their term paper in tomorrow. If I can get caught out then what do they do? Hmm... I do like PCs when they are working but can really understand why more and more people are drawn to those fruity toys with all the character of a major corporation. People DO want things that just work.
Anyhow... all's back the way I like it now and I had no eBay item or term paper so I can consider myself lucky.
Glad you are enjoying FF5 and wish you hours of fun with it (including on Justin's fantastic forum).  :)
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:54:47 am »
Sorry for jumping the gun.
You're right about the add-ons. I don't use a lot, but some (AdBlock Plus, ReloadEvery, PhotoBucket Uploader, DownloadHelper), and about 2-3 of them (I think) stopped working after upgrading to 5.0 of FireFox.
It is indeed a bit odd that it says that after the installation and not before. That's just totally backwards.

I find the sytem restore issue a bit odd though. I've had an issue with an install reaching deep down into the system to install it's stuff (StarForce I think it was), and due to the x86/x64 (I run Windows 7 x64) driver incompatibility, the system wouldn't boot anymore. A system restore cured it, luckily.

I'm glad I didn't have problems. Because if I did, I would've reached your topic too late. But I'm having fun with FF5's so-called 'App Tabs' - I can keep my social networks open at all times without them taking up too much tab space.
I do find however, that it's still eating RAM like it's suffering of some kind of eating disorder... It's now running at about 525 MB RAM with 4 app tabs and 3 forum pages (2 forums in total). It's not many, it's not few, but this shouldn't be taking up THAT much RAM, should it? Well, I have RAM to spare (4 GB total, 3.7 accessible for the OS) so it's not that big of a deal, but it still seems a bit odd to me.

Thanks for the reply.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:27:30 pm »
Most addons will work in FF4 and FF5 if you edit them to work.
I've had to do that with Elasticfox since it stopped working when FF4 was out. But amazon never updated the addon. So i simply set the Max version in the plugin to be something like version 8 of firefox hehe.

Just close FF, find the addon and find the install.rdf file. Edit that and look for an entry that says <em:maxVersion></em:maxVersion>
Change the value in between the tags to be 5.1.0 or something. Save the file and then start FF again. Chances are your disabled addon now works fine.

Offline thesnowdog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:54:16 pm »
For completeness you can try http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility and for small FF updates you will possibly get lucky and your extensions _may_ still run properly.

Unfortunately with Mozilla now in a major version numbers arms race with Google this annoyance will only escalate.  We can expect FF 6 AND 7 before the end of the year. :(

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:50:56 pm »
Ragz-

Nice tip, mate........ I'll look into that.

I love using Firefox........ but the bugger has got to be just a little more of a pain since they started using the plug in container. I know they did it for a positive reason........ it's just a pain that twenty seven instances of it have to shut down first before FF finally goes to sleep.......... And have you ever exited then, as an afterthought, decided to fire it up again right away, then got that 'Firefox is already running.......' blurb....... Now that is annoying.

To say nothing of the people who suddenly found their sh*t didn't work post v3.6 update, 'cos their firewalls were blocking plugin-container.exe and they didn't know how to allow it...........

Offline Gandalf

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Suffolk/Cambridgeshire Border, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:15:59 pm »
I was looking around on the Mozilla forums today and came across a bit of info about sorting out the Add-on incompatibility problems with FF5.

Download and install the add on compatibility reporter https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api. This will allow you to tell Firefox to ignore compatibility checking.

I have tried it and it works for most of the add-on's that I have installed.

It would appear that compatibility checking is turned off by default.

Hope this will help someone
George
Yamaha FG730S

Get The Forum As A Mobile App