Author Topic: RF-020 • Snow (Hey Oh) - Red Hot Chili Peppers  (Read 21154 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:14:22 am by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Fondue

Re: RF-020 • Snow (Hey Oh) - Red Hot Chili Peppers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:47:18 pm »
This is some great exercise for sure. I find that it's easier to leave my second finger down on the 5th string throughout all the chords (in the riff) even if I play it the next fret up with the pinkie  ???

Makalol

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:41:18 am »
Thanks for the lesson, though I already had learned the riff a few weeks before from another guy's tutorial, which was actually. Anyway, this one showed everything and I appreciate your effort!

Also I've started to practice it along the metronome, currently only at 60 bpm (the song is on ~105 bpm as it seems) and the 'rootnotes' (the lowest notes at the beginning of each part of the riff) fall onto the 1 and the 3, so the whole riff fits into 4 bars, am I doing it right this way?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:27:26 am »
@Makalol all good w the metronome.

@Fondue if it works good then its ok!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline DucesWild

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 03:20:52 am »
So, i know how to play this riff on an acoustic guitar in standard tuning. so i thought i would share it with you.

its really quite a bit easier imo.

its played fingerstyle (and is great practice), plus fingerstyle is the only way it doesn't sound like crap.

Am                                   F                                C                                    G
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------1------1>3<1-----1--------1-----1>3<1----1------------------------------------3-----3>5<3-----3--------
---2-----2-----------2--------2-----2---------2-----------0------0>1<0----0------4-----4----------4------------
2--------------------------3---------------------------2------2----------2-----5-------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------3-----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and for the variation instead of going to the G like that it goes to a different variation of G. or atleast i think its from a G, could be a variation of B, dont quote me on that one. but here it is

------------------------------
-----------------------------
-------0----0>2<0-----0-------------
----0----0----------0------------
-2-----------------------------
------------------------------

Domikaze

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:31:39 am »
Hey (oh)!

So, I think I have the bridge and chorus pretty much down, but I am having a lot of trouble with this beast of an intro. I haven't been playing with a metronome (perhaps that is part of my problem), so I am not sure what the timing I can play at is, but I am having a particular problem with my accuracy and consistency. I get a lot of twangs or wrong hit notes and I think my right hand seems to be the problem.

I am thinking that I perhaps should slow down and really work on the picking, but I keep seeming to hit a wall at a certain speed. Is there a good method or pace to increase my speed and accuracy on this song?  ???

Also, I think I might have stretched my hand a little to far playing this at some point because my lower palm starting hurting for a bit after playing!  :'(

Anyway, thank you so much for posting this. I love this song.

DavidHD

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:09:16 pm »
Thanks for a great lesson Justin.

The alternate picking is a right pain! Still, once you can alternate pick you open up a new world of speed. I need to get the knack of changing between strings while alternate picking then hopefully I'll be getting somewhere (see Hysteria solo for another prime example of usefulness!!) haha

jamacoe

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 06:13:10 pm »
Thank you for all the great lessons for free!!!

At 0:05 sec on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuFI5KSPAt4 I can cleanly hear him slide it up to the F#. The slide up can be seen at 0:32. He uses his ring finger, as that is conviently over the 5th from the previous B.

Keep on rockin' !

Jan

Aeonstorm

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 11:09:15 am »
I'm having major trouble with the second half of the chorus. When playing those three chords which require a thumb hooked over the top, how do you bar your first finger? For the chord with the first finger bar across two strings, i can just manage it if I squeeze really hard, but I can't get the three strings no matter what, not to mention that the three string bar requires my fingers to be so flat on the fretboard that my third finger on the fourth string ends up muting the third string. What is a good way to practice doing this bar?

tenohfive

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »
Great song and great lesson, but something I'm struggling to understand having always fingerpicked - I'm now trying to understand alternate picking.

In the hammer on/pull off, it says to play it on the down stroke/pick, and the hand sort of silently picks the upstroke. But isn't there three notes/sounds? Note, hammer on, pull off...so wouldn't that lead to down, *silent* up, *silent* down, leading to an upstroke on the next note (rather than a downstroke as in the lesson?) I know I'm probably misunderstanding alternate picking here, but if someone could explain how I'd be grateful.

Offline Jonny5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:58:36 pm »
In this riff it's 16th notes but the hammer on/pull off is slightly faster, so you actually play three notes in the space where usually there would be two. It goes '1 e and a (2/hammer/pull) and a 3 e and a (4/hammer/pull) and a'. Alternate picking is much like keeping your arm moving when strumming in that it helps maintain a constant rhythm even when not picking the strings. In this instance you actually only miss out one 'beat' even though it's 3 notes, and therefore come back on a down pick after it. I'm not sure of the terminology to describe that type of rhythm, but hopefully this makes some kind of sense.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 05:46:55 pm »

...you actually play three notes in the space where usually there would be two.....

...I'm not sure of the terminology to describe that type of rhythm.....

The term is 'triplet' :)

Andy

Frood

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 01:05:10 pm »
Hey Justin!  Great tutorial and great site.  One suspicion about John's fingering that you focused on.  I think he uses his ring finger because he doesn't actually start the riff at f# on the fifth string...  He hits the note on d#- where your ring finger is at the end of the prior part and then slides down to f# so theres no way to switch to your preferred 'pinky fingering'   Try it a few times with the slide from d# to f# and see if it sounds right to you, it adds a subtle change to the tune.  I'm not sure if he does it every time in repeating the riff but pretty sure its in there the first time through the riff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App