Author Topic: Vocal dynamic mic recommendations wanted  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
Vocal dynamic mic recommendations wanted
« on: June 05, 2011, 04:34:41 am »
Ok, i'm on the hunt for a second mic. This time i want something geared more for vocals than instruments. But would like it to be well rounded enough that it could handle instruments if needed with a decent sound.

Why dynamic and not condenser? Well, after much reading, i've decided that rather than buy a cheap condenser mic, it seems to be better to buy a dynamic mic and when the time comes to buy a condenser, i buy a more expensive condenser than a cheap one.

Plus, my recording room is too noisy for a condenser to work well. I need something a little less sensitive.

So, what mics are you using for recording vocals and why did you choose that particular mic? The more info you can provide, the better.
Thanks for your time all.

Offline bluepingu34

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Vocal dynamic mic recommendations wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:18:40 pm »
I'd go for an SM57 or 58. The 58 is a probably more versatile because when you take the cap off it's pretty much a 57 (the grille is the only difference). :)
http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/sm58-vs-sm57-12391/

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:24:51 pm »
If you are going to look at something like a 57 or 58, then do yourself a favor and look at a comparable mic from Audix. They sound better and cost maybe 25% more.

Other than that, the dynamic vocal mics are not necessarily cheap. They will run you $350+ for an EV RE20 or Shure SM7B. You can hear reviews of these on YT and is you ever listen to Radiohead on YT they use a lot of RE20

There is a transformer mod you can do on an SM57 that pushes it a bit towards the SM7, or makes sort of an in between mic ( so I've heard from someone trustworthy and with no point to prove either way). I'm not sure if the transformers are still available or not though and it's not exactly an easy mod.

Gone

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:12:51 pm »
Hi Ragz,

I mentioned the Rode NT2 a on your last song. I use it in place of the SM57. Sound is fuller, plus it has a number of options built in to the mic which you can play around with - I'm not that technical so tend to stick to one setting. I use it purely for vocals and acoustic work. It's good value and comes with a 10 year warranty - which i used due to a worn thread on the shockmount - service was excellent - no questions asked replacement part within days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtyW33BrUeo

Cheers,

Digger

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:25:46 pm »
Ragz,

I hear these Blue Mics are a great all around mic and have excellent side rejection:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-EnCore-100-encore100-PROAUDIOSTAR-/300559620591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fabfd9ef#ht_3405wt_1141

The price is a bargain in the States... If you are not into a referb - buy it new. I do hear they outdo the SM58 for voice. I was going to buy a new SM58 but now I am going to get the above and at some point a fathead condenser. - when the money gods shine on me that is...

LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:52:53 pm »
i forgot to mention in my op, i've already got an SM57 which i'm very happy with. But i don't want another one. I'd been reading up on the SM58 and found that it's basically the same thing as the 57 with a different casing.

I will definitely have a look into the other mentions here though. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 09:36:09 am »
Ok, i'm on the hunt for a second mic. This time i want something geared more for vocals than instruments. But would like it to be well rounded enough that it could handle instruments if needed with a decent sound.

58 and beta 58 are workhorses. They sound decent and you can pound nails with them.
If you want a dynamic that can do both vocals and instruments well, you might want to look at a Seneheiser 441.
If you want to spend a bit less money, Beyerdynamic has some dynamic mics that are pretty decent.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:38:01 am »
Ragz,
Since you have an SM57 to use for blasting an amp into maybe you want to look at a Fathead condensor? At least go to this link and run the demo of it by the 3 piece band... very nice sounding! I just got one in the US for free shipping to the door @ $175. It is not here yet, so I can not give you feedback. That is pretty cheap for a performance condensor mic. It will compliment my SM57 well as I find it just does not cut it in an an acoustic recording. By the way I think the spec said it took 165 SPL which should handle an instrument if needed, though I would be careful there.

Here: http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT%20HEAD.html By the Wildcats - Very nice tune and worth your time to listen... I did 3 times as I was impressed!

Oh, If I read it right it does not need phantom voltage! Is that why you wanted to stick to a dynamic? You sure sound like me and are ready for more mic than that SM57, so maybe this might be a consideration for you. My recording bud said this was the hot condensor mic at this point in time for the money. It also comes with some includded options like a free shock mount & case...

LB
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:54:25 pm by LBro »
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:08:00 pm »
No that mic does not need phantom. It's a ribbon. Don't blow or puff air into it. You can ruin it. Treat it with care.
Gone

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 10:20:40 pm »
Yeah,
You are right on TB. Nice thing is that it comes with both the wood box AND a hardshell Alum. case the box packs into! That should be a warning about abuse. Strange it can take 165 SPL and still be a ribbon!

I do not think it will stack up to a Rodes nt2... but then it is a lot cheaper and an all together different animal. Did you spin up the demo? I think that was a pretty good show of what it was capable of. Then again that warehouse they did that in was like a queens bathroom in sound... it was rather perfect for thier little number.

LB
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:44:30 pm by LBro »
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 11:25:07 pm »
EV 767a

And something entirely different... Heil PR22.
Or the PR40, I see it popping up from time to time as a good dynamic mic for vocals. I think it was an LD but I'm not sure.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:26:45 pm »
Ragz,
Since you have an SM57 to use for blasting an amp into maybe you want to look at a Fathead condensor? At least go to this link and run the demo of it by the 3 piece band... very nice sounding! I just got one in the US for free shipping to the door @ $175. It is not here yet, so I can not give you feedback. That is pretty cheap for a performance condensor mic. It will compliment my SM57 well as I find it just does not cut it in an an acoustic recording. By the way I think the spec said it took 165 SPL which should handle an instrument if needed, though I would be careful there.

Here: http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT%20HEAD.html By the Wildcats - Very nice tune and worth your time to listen... I did 3 times as I was impressed!

Oh, If I read it right it does not need phantom voltage! Is that why you wanted to stick to a dynamic? You sure sound like me and are ready for more mic than that SM57, so maybe this might be a consideration for you. My recording bud said this was the hot condensor mic at this point in time for the money. It also comes with some includded options like a free shock mount & case...

LB

WOW.  That mic sounds fantastic. The demo is a really great way to show what it can do. It picked up everyone with really good clarity.
I wonder how sensitive they are, because my main concern is my kids noise. That's why i actually wanted to go for a dynamic mic. As my SM57 is great at _not_ picking up my kids, unless they're right next to the mic. The directional control of the SM57 really really helps me out and saves me needing to record, record, record, record, ad-infinitum due to my kids suddenly all diciding they want to be in the room as soon as i hit the record button, lol

But now i'm torn. The Fathead is in my budget range too. Hmm. wonder if guitar centre has them for sale. I could give one a try and return it and get my money back if i didn't like it.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:54:12 pm »
Yeah Ragz,
I have a feeling that mic might pic up the world! Just the design of it I think lends itself to be more of an omni directional mic. I can tell you more for sure on it, about Thursday or more likely Friday of this week. I am glad you had a chance and took in the demo. In my book it was stunning and well done. Another thing, I looked up that pre-amp they used and it is a tube affair costing a good $1500! So I just wonder how much of that sound was "warmed up" by the pre...? I have a DigiMax FS that the mic will be going into and that will be clean with no coloration at all. So to me the jurry is out at the moment.

The other mic I posted a link on prior by Blue really might be a good choice for you. It has excellent side rejection and in your situation it might work well. Both will be here by the weekend and possibly I can post something up here to allow you to listen to them. I am fairly certain Guitar Center has the Blue mic and possibly the fathead by Cascade. So do check with them as that is a great idea for a test drive in you own hands. By the way the BLUE Mic is up at BH Photo for $79 with a $20 rebate. That is new and a great deal - If you go for it read the fine print on the rebate, to be sure it applies to the sale price...

Good luck,

LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 01:33:46 am »
Ragz, that mic, the Fat Head is a Figure 8 so yes it will pick up stray sound. In the video you can see they are circled around it.

I have a couple of the original ones non-modified. Not by that company but from the manufacturer in China. Yes, they do like a good pre-amp and even in that video clip the text says the pre really made the mic come alive. So you are looking at ( listening to ) a near $2K setup there.

Gone

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 04:06:48 am »
The other mic I posted a link on prior by Blue really might be a good choice for you. It has excellent side rejection and in your situation it might work well. Both will be here by the weekend and possibly I can post something up here to allow you to listen to them.
Yeah, please do post something up. It's always good to hear some stuff that demo's things

Get The Forum As A Mobile App