Author Topic: What came first, the chicken or the lyrics?  (Read 1423 times)

JB12890

What came first, the chicken or the lyrics?
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:03:08 am »
Hey, I've just been getting into writing, and transcribing my own thoughts onto the guitar and I have a major question. What is the best way to write? Do you create the guitar riffs first, or do you write the lyrics first. It's hard to imagine songs such as "The Wind Cries Mary", or any Zeppelin song for that matter as nothing but a guitar. Do you suggest creating a basic guitar progression, writing, and then expanding on the guitar? Or do you suggest writing lyrics, and then making them fit the guitar riffs that you have already created? Much thanks for the responses.

JB

Thampen

Re: What came first, the chicken or the lyrics?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:26:21 am »
I suggest that you don't decide to do it one way or the other. Let it be open. One time you'll find the riff first, the other time you'll find the lyrics, another time you'll just hear a melody in your head or find an interesting chord and it'll build from there. Just try all of the methods out and see what you like, there's no right or wrong way.  :)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:43:08 am »
well for me, i almost always find the words appear first. Then the guitar arrives.
More often than not, right behind the first few words, i'm picking up the guitar and playing something that i hear in my head for the song.

I find it's just easier to let things start rolling however they want to roll.

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:40:41 am »
Hi,

I agree with both previous comments. Do both. Write lyrics whenever they pop in to your head. Make a note/record any music that comes. Sometimes you'll write lyrics with a melody in mind and can write the music from there, sometimes the opposite. What you will probably find is that things start out one way and will often take a different course completely. Don't get stressed if something doesn't work straight off the bat - put it to one side for later.
Listen to lots of different music - it will help give you ideas - not always about the actual tune - but how you want to structure a song or a particular feel you want to try and capture.
One thing's for sure - it's good fun and addictive. Personally, I find it much more rewarding than doing covers.

All the best,

Digger.

JB12890

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:38:46 pm »
Thanks for the good feedback. I guess that's what good music is really all about...the flow. You're right, music that sounds forced is never as good or rewarding. Also to digger, I couldn't agree more. Covers have their place, but creating has improved my playing waaaaay more than covers ever did. It's also great for getting transcribing down, and a hell of a lot more fun than listening to one song over, and over, and over, and over...

Appreciate it,
JB

curry chips97

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 02:29:41 pm »
If a few lyrics to a song come into my head i would write them down and if a riff came to me i would write it up too. the song and the riff may no go together puut atleast i have tem for further notice.
I have wrote 22 songs and 6 guitar tabs (currently working on my 7th) so i have plenty of songs to try and fit that tab to. i find that this is a far easyer way to write

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:49 pm »
Transcribing is a good skill to have when it comes to songwriting as well.  You hear something in your head and wonder how the heck to I play that?  Well, if you've been practicing transcribing popular songs that you like, transcribing the ideas you hear in your head becomes much easier.

Justin also has a really good video on how to write a song, and he uses just one of many methods.  You can watch it here:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18578120

Get The Forum As A Mobile App