Author Topic: Songwriting  (Read 1071 times)

Offline rpreisendanz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
Songwriting
« on: May 20, 2011, 02:36:21 am »
I have been learning from Justin for a while now.  Love that guy!  He is a great teacher and so good! Of course there is so much more to learn and I truly appreciate Justin's contribution and hard work putting this web site together!  It's a blast. I have also been song writing more now that I have retired early (only 56 years young).  The lyrics have been flowing in real well, lots to say.  My trouble has been coming up with melodies that are unique. Some come from other sources as inspirational.  My question is:  Are there things I can be doing to stimulate different melodies.  I have been inspired by a number of favorite songs and writers, but the music is a little harder to elaborate on. I have been coming up with melodies mainly for choruses, but I want to create variation in my song writing.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I know some things I can do, but if anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate your input!!

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Re: Songwriting
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:39:29 am »
I am not sure I understand what you mean by unique.  I don't think there is much that is unique in and of itself, most of what we do is put things we have heard together in different order or with a different rhythm or whatever.  Unless you are clearly using the melody to another song, why aren't your melodies unique?  Can you be clearer?

I was told by my singing teacher to create a melody and find the chords but I do okay right now by finding a melody that fits over a chord.  So much of a song is the rhthym, the tempo and other elements. 

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:40:59 am »
If by melody you mean vocal melody, try to develop your lead guitar ability (master the major scale is excellent towards that end). composing or improvising a guitar solo isn't so different from creating a vocal melody.

If by melody you mean chord progressions, You can introduce much variety by varying rhythm pattern or style, tempo, you can use chord extensions... more than a few way to make something tried and tested sound fresh.
If you truly want something new though trying looking into Jazz. http://www.justinguitar.com/en/JA-000-Jazz.php
get a handle on that and no one will accuse you of copying others ;)
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline rpreisendanz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:07:32 am »
Thanks for your input!  I think by unique,  I want to come up with melodies that can be sung by somebody once they have heard it. I also like the idea about working with scales to come up with melodies, as well as borrowing various sounds from others without copying. :D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:36:12 am »
I want to come up with melodies that can be sung by somebody once they have heard it.

In contrast, what do your melodies sound like now? Are you saying they are too complex and not singable? Are looking to write "hooks".

Whatever.... unless you just have a knack for it, you will need to learn some theory and probably better start with harmonizing the major scale. There are many threads here that get into that subject. Basically the Major Scale, it's chords and notes, upside down, backwards, forwards and sideways.

Gone

Offline rpreisendanz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 03:29:44 am »
Thanks TB-AV for the input.  Do you think it would be worth getting the DVD on Major Scale Work that Justin is selling?

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:29:55 am »
I haven't been writing long but I think the exercise that I like best right now is transcribing melodies of songs I know really well. Of course I'm doing work on major scale songs.  And I'm doing them as numbers not notes on a piece of graph paper leaving blanks for measures of time where there are no notes.  Not tabbing it tho I could.  I just know that the two is the open A string and the five is the open D string and so on.   Got this from an instructor online and I  am really liking it.   I am learning where intervals are from the exercise and how they work in the structure of a melody and why.  If that's what's in Mastering the Major Scale, then by all means go for it.   It's not writing your own stuff but it's like studying story structure before you write a tale, it will give you so much unconscious information that will just be there when you need it that it's worth the effort.  

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 06:34:42 pm »
Hi,

Something I sometimes do to try and generate ideas is sing counter melodies (as I call them) to others songs. e.g. listen to a song you like then just sing random words that enter your head along with it. The key however is not to follow the song's melody, but to create your own against that songs rhythm. When you find a melody you like, take it away from the other artist's song, adapt your lyrics, then build your track.

The way I've expressed it probably sounds confusing, but hopefully you'll get the gist.

Cheers,

Digger

Get The Forum As A Mobile App