Author Topic: new pick ups effecting volume, why?  (Read 2177 times)

Ric-newbie

new pick ups effecting volume, why?
« on: April 26, 2011, 07:00:03 pm »
Hi guys ive got a pacifica and ive just had iron gear blues engine put in the bridge and texas loco,s in mid n neck. Since then I cannot turn my guitar completely off using the volume control on the guitar. I can turn it down but the difference between it being on 10 and on 1 is noticeable but not massive. why is this is? is it due to the output of the pickups or wired wrongly or what?

cheers

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: new pick ups effecting volume, why?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:13:47 pm »
I'd look carefully at the solder joints on the volume pot. could be a stray bit of wire or excess solder is bridging a connection.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:03:20 pm »
Yep, something got wired up wrong or when put back together a contact is touching something it's not supposed to.

Three areas that often reveal a problem.

1. They just flat out soldered the wires to the wrong place

2. The ground blob of solder on the back of the back of the pot did not connect properly.

3. Similar to 2, the tabs bent back on to case for ground popped loose.

Actually there is another thing that can cause this. Some people will install a treble bleed network and that might be wrong.

It's generally something very simple.

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:11:27 am »
4. He could have cooked the pot a bit, and it hasn't died, but is now malfunctioning.
Seen it once before, when i botched one of my first solder jobs on a scrapper Squier that i used for practicing my newfound skillsets...  :-[

Ric-newbie

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »
Right okay, asside from the fact that the volume isnt working properly is it likely to be effecting the pick ups themselves. They sound fine but since they are brand new Id ive not heard them before anywhere else I dont really have anything to compare them to?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
Since something is obviously screwed up, it's hard to tell what might be happening.

Basically your guitar does two things. It runs the pickups direct out full blast or it sends part of the signal to ground. Same for the tone. You get it all or some of it gets bleed off and sent to ground never to be heard.

It's really hard to say if you are getting the full effect of how your pickups are supposed to sound.
It's sort of like having a few water supplies and several control valves. When someone plumbed them together wrong it's really difficult to tell what is coming out of the hose and from where and if you are getting full pressure or not.

Gone

VenusBlue

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 06:29:29 am »
I think everyone is identifying the problem, but honestly you should just take it back to the shop and have them fix it for you.

If you pay for them to do a job, you pay for it to be done correctly.

Ric-newbie

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:00 pm »
true

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:15:55 am »
+1 VB

It's a matter of curiosity as to what's wrong, for those of us who wield our own soldering irons. Ultimately, though, you've paid for a job to be done and it's a balls up, so take it back to your 'tech' and have them sort it out; it's what you paid for. I do own to being a bit surprised that they didn't test it themselves first, though; It's the first thing I would have done.

Dan-

I learnt a hard lesson on the Alpha switching pots, when I did the Jimmy Page number on my Agile. The lesson being: Don't be a lazy bleeder and change out to a bigger tip on the iron for the ground taps. The internal switch sliders are plastic. Best not to heat those switch casings for too long, or you melt 'em shut................ like I did. Could have kicked myself for that. Laying out another £12 + S+H for replacements was enough of a lesson learnt  ::)

Ric-newbie

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 08:00:39 pm »
Yea to be honest its been a bout 2 month since reason being i just thought it must be down to them being louder or something i mean if i knew them inside out i wouldnt be paying for it doing lol. But you guys are defo right they should have checked it before they gave it to me and made sure it was good. Think ill get them to fix it and go elsewhere in future.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 11:27:13 pm »
+1 VB

It's a matter of curiosity as to what's wrong, for those of us who wield our own soldering irons. Ultimately, though, you've paid for a job to be done and it's a balls up, so take it back to your 'tech' and have them sort it out; it's what you paid for. I do own to being a bit surprised that they didn't test it themselves first, though; It's the first thing I would have done.

Dan-

I learnt a hard lesson on the Alpha switching pots, when I did the Jimmy Page number on my Agile. The lesson being: Don't be a lazy bleeder and change out to a bigger tip on the iron for the ground taps. The internal switch sliders are plastic. Best not to heat those switch casings for too long, or you melt 'em shut................ like I did. Could have kicked myself for that. Laying out another £12 + S+H for replacements was enough of a lesson learnt  ::)

I seem to remember that...
Didn't we discuss that little xx--xx up on your Agile a while back ?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App