Author Topic: RF-016 • Baby Please Don't Go - AC/DC  (Read 11885 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:01:33 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: RF-016 • Baby Please Don't Go - AC/DC
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:29:22 pm »
On the slidey bit (forgive the technical jargon) do you take your 1st finger off when putting the 2nd finger down, or are both notes supposed to ring together?

Offline freigeist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:07:51 am »
Hi routerbooter,

they are supposed to ring together. That´s the trick. Nice effect with distortion :)
But only in this case! You have to understand this part as an accent. Hope this helps :)

Nozzer

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:48:06 pm »
One of my fav AC/DC riffs. Was listening to this whilst driving to pick up the chinese takeaway tonight. Whole track is just brill. Especially the interplay between Bon and Angus in the reprieve.

In the Angus part (country bend) when you tone bend 3rd string from 14 fret and then pick 2nd string at 15 fret, is the 3rd string picked before the bend is released back to 14? And following that then is 3rd string picked at 12 fret or pulled off to 12.
There seemed to be more detail about what was hammer on/pull off/pick for Malcolm's part.

Many thanks. Would love to have this sorted. I'm at about a thrid of the speed just now!

Offline freigeist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 12:04:15 pm »
Hi Nozzer,

[...]
In the Angus part (country bend) when you tone bend 3rd string from 14 fret and then pick 2nd string at 15 fret, is the 3rd string picked before the bend is released back to 14?
[...]

its the same part routerbooter descripted just an octave higher and a bend insted a slide.
It´s the same lick. Both times in position 1 of the Em pentatonic scale.
So yes you hold the bend (A to B) and pick the next note (D).
Like i said: They are supposed to ring together, but only in this case!

Code: [Select]
Part from Riff #1
-------------- 
------3-------         D
-2/4-(4)------  A / B (B)
--------------
--------------
-------------- 

Part from Riff #2
--------------   
-----15-------        D
-14b(16)------ A / B (B)
--------------
--------------
--------------

[...]
And following that then is 3rd string picked at 12 fret or pulled off to 12.
There seemed to be more detail about what was hammer on/pull off/pick for Malcolm's part.
[...]

I think it´s picked like Riff #1. The following part is played with pull off´s (still like Riff #1)

Part from Riff #2
------------------------------------------   
---14^12----------------------------------
-----------14^12--------------------------
-------------------15~~ ^12---------------

Nozzer

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 01:04:00 pm »
In the Angus part (country bend) when you tone bend 3rd string from 14 fret and then pick 2nd string at 15 fret, is the 3rd string picked before the bend is released back to 14?

Thanks freigiest - I'm still not clear however - I've done a tone bend on 3rd string on 14th fret (to equivalent of 16th fret), then pick 2nd string at 15 fret (both 2nd and 3rd strings now ringing). Question is - would you pick 3rd string whilst it is still bent up (at equivalent of 16th fret) before releasing it  (reverse bend) to 14th fret, or should it still be ringing enough just to release it (reverse bend) back to 14 fret without picking. I find the 3rd string has almost stopped ringing before I can release it - perhaps it is just my technique or speed.

Sorry  - probably newbie style questions - your help appreciated.

Offline freigeist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 11:51:31 am »
Hi Nozzer,

aah now I understand your question. Sorry my fault, good question :)
In Riff #1 you slide back from B to A. Right?

Part from Riff #1
--------------  
------3-------         D
-2/4-(4)-4\2 -  A / B (B) B \ A
--------------
--------------
--------------

So I think the Angus Part (Riff #2) is similar:
B string + G string ring together -> pick reverse bend without B string ringing anymore (lift pinky).

But it´s a very short reverse bend. The accent lies on the D and B.
Like the "back slide" part in Riff #1.

Hope this answers your question :)

PS: If it stops ringing while you bend, you have to improve your bending technique. Around the 12th fret the action is naturally higher. It´s not that easy to play around the 12th fret (especially on cheaper guitars). But in this case, you should pick the reverse bend.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:07:48 pm by freigeist »

Nozzer

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 01:23:07 pm »
Anybody able to give me a clue as to what is going on with the strumming part of the video, where there are long slides up and down the neck? I haven't been able to work it out so far.

Offline freigeist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 05:42:04 pm »
[...]
Still i'm having fun, and that's the main thing, right?

Riiight!!!  ;D

Anybody able to give me a clue as to what is going on with the strumming part of the video, where there are long slides up and down the neck? I haven't been able to work it out so far.

I think it´s:
D = Downstroke
U = Upstroke
S = Slide
C = Curl
D(S) or D(C) = Slide or Curl on this Downstroke

Slide
I think it´s a undefined slide. There is no "right" fret to start and end. Just alternating down- and upslides.

Curl
Bend the 6E string at fret 3 a little bit - just a really small bend - and release it.

Strumming Pattern
Not 100% sure, but i think it´s:

D     D(S)  D  U  D  U  D(S)  D  U     U  D(C)
1  e  +  a  2  e  +  a  3  e  +  a  4  e  +  a

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 09:40:58 pm »
I'm a having bit of an issue issues transitioning from pull-offs at the end of the riff to the strumming pattern.

I think there is a slide to close the riff BEFORE the 1st down beat of the strumming pattern that freigeist posted which I'm pretty sure nailed it...

D     D(S)  D  U  D  U  D(S)  D  U     U  D(C)
1  e  +  a  2  e  +  a  3  e  +  a  4  e  +  a

I hear the last open low E of the riff being on beat 4; then I hear a quick slide on the "and of 4" then the strumming riff as shown above starts on the next 1.  When I added that little transition slide; all of the sudden I was in sync with Angus and Malcom on the CD....

I'd put the tab of what I'm trying to say here instead of a description but I'm not sure if that's allowed.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline cudaboy_71

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 05:21:55 pm »
on the first part of the riff: can anyone help with the alternate picking on the turnaround? i do fine slowly. but, once i start getting up to speed i'm stumbling staying on the beat. that's the bit that starts at 2:23 in the video. but, the part i'm getting tripped up on is grabbing the open G at 2:44

i've played with several different alternate picks, playing both the D to G on the down stroke...or playing the D down and the G up; both up and the turnaround on the down. some are better than others. but, i'm still getting hung up. just wondering if there's a preferred (easier to play fast) pick direction.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »
If you can play it perfectly slowly, play along to a slow metronome, and then slowly up the speed, keeping it perfect.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Get The Forum As A Mobile App