Author Topic: Need some help with what laptop I should buy! Or where to start looking :)  (Read 2291 times)

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
Okay, I tried to record some drums today with my old laptop and it was impossible due to lagging and skipping.
I wanted to buy a new one for some time, so now Im going to. The problem is that I dont really know where to start!
I'll list some facts first:

What I need it to do:

Record multiple tracks by firewire at once without lagging. (Like up to 8 tracks at once. I guess since most dont have firewire I have to buy an additional "card" and put it in or something)

Be able to edit HD-videos. Like max 3 or 4 vids at the same time, + music.

What I don't concider important:

Altough I want a laptop, a good lasting battery is not important, nor is low weight or small size.

Cost: no more than 1 024 EURO, as a start. Ofc, I can go slightly over if that means a big improvement in performance.

My current pc's specc (I dont know if its important, but I'll just put it there):
Processor: AMD Turiom 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64 2,20 GHz
RAM: 2,0 GB
Systemtype: 32-bit

So, what I want is suggestions to what are the most powerfull I can get for this price? Are there any good sites to compare different models? Any brands I should check out? I really dont know where to start, and when I read about the numbers and stuff for each pc I dont really know what I am reading... :P

I really, really appriciate any help! :)
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Capturing and editing HD video puts a heavy strain on most PC's.

Recording interfaces make a lot of difference over the internal sound card (but I guess that's why you need firewire )

Be sure there is a slot to add a FW card although most laptops do have a FW port. I would look very hard for one with Texas Instruments chipset for the FW. You will need to read all the detailed spec sheets.

That's a thin budget for that kind of power and quality component chips. Not the recording 8 tracks but the video editing. 8 tracks should not be much of a problem.

Gone

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
Okay, well, the video editing is not the main concern, but the recording is.

What Im basicly doing is connecting this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--PHOHELIX18FW by firewire to my pc.

Being able to record 8 (and maybe a couple more) tracks easily is the most important thing!

I would look very hard for one with Texas Instruments chipset for the FW.
What is this? A description of the FWport, the card to give me FW or the slot to put the FWcard? :/

Edit: removed the links to the candidates, I understood that neither had firewire port OR a chance to get it....

Thanks ALOT for helping! :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:55:59 pm by marcusmarkmus »

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
for all that mutitasking the more cores your cpu has the better, and for teh video editing the better the video card the better. 

Make sure that your software is compatible but going for 64bit windows ( if you are going windows ) would allow you to add more RAM ( its cheap these days ) so go for like 6 or 8 GB as again that will help with video editing and probably the audio stuff too.

Laptops are tricky, Dell have a good website where you can spec the thing up yourself and get an idea of the price, Asus do some pretty good prices for some high spec laptops too

Is thee a minimum and preferred spec for the software that comes with that mixer ?
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
What is this? A description of the FWport, the card to give me FW or the slot to put the FWcard? :/

The chipset is associated with the FW device, be it built-in or a card you plug in.

Not a computer port to hold a card
Gone

mattywarr

If your looking at doing Video and Music editing heavily, the only answer is a MacBook.

Windows Laptops will do the job with the tools provided and that are avaialble, but they are no where near as efficient - and doing that amount of workload will lead to overheating problems within the year.

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
I think the person above is right, a MacBook seems to be the answer for you.
If you'd still prefer windows laptops for video editing i'd go for ALIENWARE (dell sells those, which is a good brand).
They mainly sell gaming laptops, but games need good core/gfx power aswell, probably even more then video editing for the hardcore games.

Do NOT go for acer, I only had bad experiences with those (last one dated from 2008).
Oh and, dual core and higher can run a 64-bit system, so your PC should be able to run w7 64bit. I do atleast with a Core2 Duo proc in my laptop.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
I think the person above is right, a MacBook seems to be the answer for you.
If you'd still prefer windows laptops for video editing i'd go for ALIENWARE (dell sells those, which is a good brand).
They mainly sell gaming laptops, but games need good core/gfx power aswell, probably even more then video editing for the hardcore games.

Do NOT go for acer, I only had bad experiences with those (last one dated from 2008).
Oh and, dual core and higher can run a 64-bit system, so your PC should be able to run w7 64bit. I do atleast with a Core2 Duo proc in my laptop.

Gaming pc's do not require the same kind of hardware that video editing does. Not even close. Name a single game that is 64bit? None of them that i'm aware of. Having a 64bit OS with 24GB of RAM will not make your game run faster, no matter what you might believe. However, a 64bit OS with 24GB of RAM will make your video editing software run faster (provided it is a 64 bit version of the software used).
Laptops really aren't the platform for video editing. They don't pack the power that a desktop box can pack.

Don't buy alienware anything. They aren't worth the money. Pick any alienware laptop and i'll find you one that's better, for less price. All they are is a standard dell latitude or similar laptop with the branding of alienware and a fancy casing. Yet you pay twice the price. alienware

I would seriously recommend that if you want a PC based system, that you look into ASUS laptops or Toshiba.
Otherwise go for a mac.

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
@Ragz: Hmm okay my bad. A friend of mine uses alienware said it was quite decent, but he is an amateur video editor anyways. ASUS is a decent brand, never tried any laptops from them, got a very good headset from them though!

And I can name tons of games that run on an 64-bit engine.. i'll start with one of my favorites: Half-Life 2.

I do agree with you, a desktop is eventually better, not only can you pack better hardware (more space) in it, its also easier to replace hardware after a few years. Plus its cheaper. for 1000 euro's you can get much better stuff in a desktop compared to a laptop. So if youre planning to start a "mini-studio" go for a desktop. You can always put your data on a USB. If you want to video edit on the fly and @friends.. you should go for a laptop, but keep in mind its gonna cost more for (much) less.

NO matter how pro the laptop, cooling is often a problem with them, and video editing will need alot of power which will generate alot of heat.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
@Ragz: Hmm okay my bad. A friend of mine uses alienware said it was quite decent, but he is an amateur video editor anyways. ASUS is a decent brand, never tried any laptops from them, got a very good headset from them though!

And I can name tons of games that run on an 64-bit engine.. i'll start with one of my favorites: Half-Life 2.

I do agree with you, a desktop is eventually better, not only can you pack better hardware (more space) in it, its also easier to replace hardware after a few years. Plus its cheaper. for 1000 euro's you can get much better stuff in a desktop compared to a laptop. So if youre planning to start a "mini-studio" go for a desktop. You can always put your data on a USB. If you want to video edit on the fly and @friends.. you should go for a laptop, but keep in mind its gonna cost more for (much) less.

NO matter how pro the laptop, cooling is often a problem with them, and video editing will need alot of power which will generate alot of heat.

@komani, not to try and argue but... Those 13 games you mention are hardly "tons of games" really. Out of the millions of games out there, you have a list of 13. About 10 of those are absolutely rubbish too. :)

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
Thanks alot for all the help guys, really appriciate it!

Been to several stores today, it seems it's not many pc's today with FW.... I looked into macs, they seemed expensive compared to how powerfull they seemed to be, also looked into Sony's VAIO series, they also was alittle on the expensive side. Other than that they didnt really have anything good. (not inside my budget anyway)

Anyway, even though komani said that acer was crap I found one that has a discount and seems pretty decent,
its the Acer Aspire 5943G 15.6" HD LED:

it has Intel Core i7 740QM / 1.73 GHz processor and quadcore, 4MB RAM (16 maks), harddisk: 750 GB - Serial ATA-150, and it already has firewire. it also costs "only" 1 153 Euros/1 023 GBP / 1 674 US dollars. (this is 18% off the usual price)

It seems the best buy when comparing prices/speccs at least!

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
Marcus-

I've scrapped more Acer Aspire lappies than I care to mention; every one of them suffering with motherboard problems that I've banged my head against the wall to trace with zero luck and maximum frustration.

Don't get me wrong: My nephew has a gorgeous Aspire that's never given him any bother at all. Same goes for a couple of people I know who own them.

But for all the bother I've had with them so far, I have zero confidence in the brand.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
I have zero confidence in the brand.
Acer are owned by Gateway computers these days. Their reputation hasn't gotten any better. But i think the laptops may be a bit more reliable than they used to be.
However, i'm with you, zero confidence.

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
@Ragz, yeah it was a list of a few games, first hit @ google, quite old post I think. there are more though. But it doesnt matter, the important thing is that marcus can get his laptop. And I dont mind arguing, as long as its not useless flaming/spam  ;)

@Wishbone: I agree with you, my acer had a faulty motherboard, had to send it back, got a "new" one after a month and it still had a faulty motherboard (random freezes/camera stops working/stress etc). It did get better (hardly no freezing, camera works sometimes) when I started using w7 64-bit thouh compared to vista 32bit.

@Marcus, the specs in that acer are good enough for you i think, but keep in mind what me and wishbone said. It can work out well(my girl has her acer a while and its working just fine), but there is a reason they are cheap compared to others.

Also people tend to forget (said this allready) that cooling is really important! Otherwise when your laptop heats up (my acer does quite fast if I download, let alone stand play a simple game like HL2, and i put it on a few CD's that the air can flow from underneath it), it just will give errors/slow down etc.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
.... Acer Aspire 5943G 15.6" HD LED:

it has Intel Core i7 740QM / 1.73 GHz processor and quadcore, 4MB RAM (16 maks), harddisk: 750 GB - Serial ATA-150, and it already has firewire. it also costs "only" 1 153 Euros/1 023 GBP / 1 674 US dollars. (this is 18% off the usual price)

It seems the best buy when comparing prices/speccs at least!

Late to the discussion, but AVOID Acer (I have one - Poor build quality & one warranty repair so far.....)

I have had good luck with ASUS and Samsung.

HTH

Andy

Get The Forum As A Mobile App