Author Topic: Gary's sound  (Read 2219 times)

skydiver

Gary's sound
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:22:49 pm »
Hi guys. I have a squier strat with 2 singlecoil pickups and one double on the bridge. I want to sound like Gary Moore. I know a Les Paul would be better but i do not have money for new guitar. I have a marshall 15w amp. And when i play gary's tunes , on the high tone notes my guitar sounds like cat... :( I am thinking to change the neck and the bridge pickup and keep the middle one. So i am asking if you know any pickups that come close to Gary's sound. Any ideas? How much the whole setup will cost and does it worth the money? Any help would be gratefull ! thx

EVH Fan

Re: Gary's sound
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:02:17 pm »
I'm not 100% sure what would be the best to use but I would make a guess towards lower output Alnico II pickups. My knowledge of pickups doesn't really extend much beyond Seymour Duncans so I'll give you a couple examples from them for what to look at.

Bridge Humbuckers
Seth Lover, Pearly Gates, Alnico II pro (maybe), Custom Custom (sounds sort of like a hot rodded PAF type humbucker).

Single Coils
Cool rails might do the trick. I really don't know any others that might work off the top of my head ;D

Someone else can probably give more accurate suggestions.

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
    • http://www.highlanedtc.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »
Change your amp?

At the end of the day you can put the best pick ups in the world in your guitar but if your amp isn't the best......................

The cheap Marshalls have a bad rep on here and the only one I have tried - MG10FX I think was awful
Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:25:18 pm »
The humbucker in your squier is a humbucker ... so changing it for another may be a waste of money.
happy jack suggests changing amps ... I agree.
Sell the MG15 (if that's what it is) for about £50-70 and buy a better amp.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:46:24 am by close2u »

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »
How much the whole setup will cost and does it worth the money?

The cheapest and easiest way for you to get what you want is with some sort of modeling setup, like a POD, POD Farm, Guitar Rig or something along those lines.

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:49:35 pm »
And when i play gary's tunes , on the high tone notes my guitar sounds like cat...

Just out of curiosity; What gauge strings are you using?
GHS has a set of David Gilmoure strings that are 10.5-50. Maybe they'd help?
FWIW I put some Fralin Blues Hybrid pickups on my MIM Strat and I really like 'em - but I'm not sure that's the sound you're after.

The different amp, and amp modeling processors sound like great suggestions, but you may be able to get closer to the tone you're after by just using different strings?
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

skydiver

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:11:49 am »
ok thx i'll try another amp and we see.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 08:24:04 am »
Try out some modelling amps

Vox VT or Peavey Vypyr

search the forum for loads of posts ...

try these links too

amp demo 1 - amp demo 2

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
    • http://www.highlanedtc.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 08:32:06 am »
Try out some modelling amps

Vox VT or Peavey Vypyr

search the forum for loads of posts ...

try these links too

amp demo 1 - amp demo 2

I have to say I wasn't impressed with the new Vox VT plus amps.
Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

Small_Paul

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 11:00:15 pm »
Also dont forget that Gary Moore had Peter Greens LP and the pickups are out of phase when the selector was in the middle position and I believe they had a partial short, but not sure about the short

Get The Forum As A Mobile App