Author Topic: G MAIL - security certificate  (Read 772 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
G MAIL - security certificate
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:33:50 pm »
Is anyone getting any warning in your G Mail accounts today or recently about a security certificate?

pop.gmail.com:995

Issued to: pop.gmail.com
Org: Google Inc

----

Issued from: Google Internet Authority
Org: Google Inc

Issued on 2/15/2011

Is there any problem with this? Thunderbird is giving me an exception.

EDIT: Found this... I still don't know if I'm supposed to allow the exception.
http://blog.knowbe4.com/2011/03/28/successful-certificate-theft-obtains-legit-web-certificates-for-google-microsoft-and-yahoo-e-mail/

EDIT: I went ahead and accepted the change and my mail came through for anyone interested. Oddly it only happened on one account.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:16:34 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
Re: G MAIL - security certificate
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 02:13:51 pm »
I don't get it on any of my computers, but before my dear old Mum passed away I set up her Outlook to fetch Gmail on her laptop (as she was used to Outlook prior to moving into the Retirement Village before she had a Gmail account) and kept getting the security certificate warning. Once she was logged in it didn't come up again unless for some reason she became logged out and I just taught her how to click ignore (edit: or was it accept?) anytime it appeared. This would have been circa 6 - 8 weeks ago.

I use Outlook on my work computer, home computer and the email software on iPad to access Gmail and I've never had an issue though - so I'm not sure what was going on.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:18:54 pm »
I'm not sure either. I went ahead and accepted the exception and it works fine. The strange thing is I have 3 gmail accounts and only one got the message.

Gone

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:40:27 pm »
I spoke to my IT tech guy at work and he suggested checking the date/time settings on my Mum's laptop but I ended up in hospital and never got to check it.

One other thing I recall was that while I was looking for answers i found there were several different port settings you could use for outgoing mail and I wondered if that had anything to do with it and also instead of pop you could use imap - but again I never got to follow it up.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Get The Forum As A Mobile App