Author Topic: Play along Jam Blues  (Read 5279 times)

InValidHexCode

Play along Jam Blues
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:18:43 pm »
Hi, this must be a silly question because I don't understand how one could make use of the 'Play along Jam Blues' CD that accompanies the 'Blues Lead Guitar DVD set'
QUESTION 1:- All of the tracks are just named TRACK01.cda through to b]TRACK12.cda[/b]
How do I work out what KEY they are in? (presumably i need to know the Key so I can play the correct Scale over them)

QUESTION 2:- It is my understanding that if a jam track were in the key of (say) G major. Then over this I could play notes from either the G major Scale or the relative minor pentatonic eg E minor pentatonic/Blues scale.
Or if the Key were (say) A minor I could just play the A minor pentatonic/Blues scale over this.
Is this correct.

QUESTION 3:- What are the RULES concerning which Scales can be played over which KEYS?

Hope someone can enlighten me, I'm no way near good enough to tell by listening to the tracks but using them would be a great way for me to practice scales and invent some licks.

Cheers,
from Martin AKA InvalidHexCode - UK

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
Re: Play along Jam Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:44:32 pm »
I can answer question 1.

Taken from the 'products' page.

1. Blues Groove In A (shuffle)
2. A Half Time Blues
3. A Dirty Blues
4. Piano Blues In E
5. Rasta Funk Blues In E
6. John Bb Bad
7. Gee... Slow Blues
8. Blueberry D-light
9. G Funk Blues
10. A Sad Minor Blues
11. Thriller Scone In D Min
12. A Min to C Min Dorian Vamp

Welcome to the forum.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
Re: Play along Jam Blues
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:02 am »
Q2

In blues you use the minor pentatonic of the key - NOT the major scale!

Q3

Check out the lessons in the Blues Lead Guitar course (free) which explains all your questions!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App