Author Topic: RF-010 • Message In A Bottle (The Police)  (Read 10229 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:04:11 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

steveo2

Re: RF-010 • Message In A Bottle (The Police)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:38:21 am »
Very nice riff.
you can use an open A and the B at the second fret if it is easier, pretty sure it's that way on the record,
Too me it's easier to play and sing this way.
Makes little too no difference the open A is there a short time.
This song is a real feel good tune, gives me a sense of peace and well being LOL
Cool

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 04:25:29 am »
  @Justin: I managed a peek at Andy's picking hand, it seems he's playing down, down, up.
  @Steveo: Nope, he only plays it that way these days(he is 68!). The way Justin is showing in the video is the way he played it on the record. :)
Check out my roadcase.

steveo2

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 02:46:15 pm »
  @Justin: I managed a peek at Andy's picking hand, it seems he's playing down, down, up.
  @Steveo: Nope, he only plays it that way these days(he is 68!). The way Justin is showing in the video is the way he played it on the record. :)
Like I said it may be easier to play it with an open A,
I am sure I was playing this on an Acoustic and singing at the same time, so i was looking for the easy way and I still use the open A chord.sound the same either way.
You are playing root , fifth, nine at a fast tempo.
It's a great tune.

JonnyKaine

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:49:41 pm »
It made me feel a bit sad when Justin said this one was "easy." I'm finding it quite difficult to get right! I always seem to get a bit flustered by these push changes.

Great lesson by the way. I won't name any names (Next Level Guitar...) but I previously tried to learn this riff elsewhere and their lesson was nowhere near as helpful.

I find it extremely helpful when the rhythm is counted out "one and two and..." I think the rhythm element is incredibly important. It seems like a lack of focus on this element is what has kept me at a certain level for years. It's only lately that I've finally started to focus on it that I feel I am improving.

Offline brynwashere

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 04:27:59 am »
Qs. 
Do you have any hints for playing across 5 frets (as in this riff) as I find it extremely difficult.  :'(
Thanks.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 563
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:24:55 am »
I've just been learning to play this ... at full tempo it's a real hard-work song and by the end your fingers are burning.
Tips ...
a] get the guitar and body posture at a good position, wedge the guitar body tight against yours so it doesn't wiggle about
b] make sure you have clean strings, clean neck and clean fingers
c] you can cheat
tune the E string down to D
then you can play those 5 fret reach parts over just 3 frets
d] persevere
e] you need really strong fingers, I mean super strong so do the finger gym
f] there's a reason not many bands play cover versions of this song ... it's really tough to play it well

Offline Greenfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 07:00:56 pm »
Been trying to practice this but I can't do it the way Justin is showing just yet because I don't have enough stretch and my pinky is refusing to go so far down. I guess i'll start practising on the finger gym like Close2u suggested.

I do have a question though, is it going to harm my progress in anyway if I just play the index and ring finger together and then just move my pinky down to the last note, I'm guessing you need to be able to stretch because of the tempo of the song but for now I just want to play the riff, will it develop bad technique?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »
I'd look at the finger stretching exercise rather than the gym - in techniques area!! you'll get it in no time!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 213
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 07:46:26 pm »
Justin's Finger Stretching exercise would be better for stretching your pinky. 
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-007-FingerStretch.php

Do the exercise and practice the riff using your pinky. This way you'll kill two bird with one stone.
You'll stretch your pinky out and learn the riff the proper way right from the start.

Having a good strong pinky is a huge asset when playing riffs and solos

(edit) was typing when Justin posted

Get The Forum As A Mobile App