Author Topic: Acoustic Guitar Pickups  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:10:46 am »
I've got some questions to add to this thread. But for anyone thinking of adding a pickup to their acoustic. To save the worry of drilling out a hole in your nice guitar. There is another option:

http://www.tapastring.com/vintagejack.htm

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
Re: Acoustic Guitar Pickups
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:57:52 pm »
I'd like to get a pickup for an acoustic guitar but I thought about something quite different than the one mentioned above by Ragz.  
I thought about something like this (it doesn't need to make any harm to your guitar):

I saw a demo on youtube and it made a good impression on me. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9FkqZhVypU&feature=player_embedded

So I'm wondering if anyone of you ever used something like this. What I'd like to know is:
1. can be such a pickup pluged into a common guitar amp, like eg. Marshall MS-2
2. are at least some of these effects shown on the YT demo the effects of a pickup itslef or they are made by a computer software?
3. what for are those two knobs on the pickup. For a volume and tone adjustments, by any chance? I'm interested in this because I found some cool thing which is Danelectro Bacon & Eggs Mini Amp (http://www.amazon.com/Danelectro-DJ-16-Bacon-Distortion-Effects/dp/B0002CZYV6). It has good opinions on the net, but it doesn't has itself any adjustments and the volume and tone must be adjusted on a guitar. So I'm wondering if this acoustic pickup would be appropriate for such an amp, if of course, it is suitable for any amp at all.

Well, a little bit long post and probably stupid questions, but if anyone could help, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!
Rain
"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." A. de Saint-Exupéry

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »
Ragz: not to state the obvious, but of course you have to drill out a hole for this. Most end pins are fixed with one tiny screw, while the jack need to go inside the guitar. I find that whole advertisement a little strange, sort of rug merchant style ;)

1. can be such a pickup pluged into a common guitar amp, like eg. Marshall MS-2
Yepp, BUT
The MS-2 is an electric guitar amp. And the video is fooling you there: an acoustic guitar with a pickup obviously sounds exactly like an acoustic guitar. So what you hear would be the sound from the amp (e.g. distorted) on top of the normal acoustic sound. Trust me: it sounds like complete, mind-numbing crap.

2. are at least some of these effects shown on the YT demo the effects of a pickup itslef or they are made by a computer software?
No, a pickup doesn't have any effects whatsoever. All the rest is amp/modeling/pedals or whatever that guy uses.

3. what for are those two knobs on the pickup. For a volume and tone adjustments, by any chance?
Yes, I think that's it.

I don't know this particular pickup, but a few words on this:

1) you can't turn an acoustic guitar into an electric guitar by installing a pickup - see above. If that's what you want you're better off getting an entry-level electric guitar (halfway decent stuff from ~ €100).

2) This thing looks like a magnetic pickup, which would make it pretty useless for an acoustic guitar. For decent acoustic sound you need transducers picking up the actual acoustic sound from the bridge/top, otherwise the result will not be satisfactory and many of the fine points of acoustic playing will be lost.

3) Imho this pickup is pretty crappy. You'll have a very long cable hanging out of the soundhole. This isn't quite my field, but there are much better choices, that will get you a "real" acoustic pickup, a 1/4" jack and decently mounted controls (which are nice and good to have, but for acoustic not really essential - that's more of an electric guitar thing). Though you might want to think about having those installed by a pro.

4) How good is your guitar? If it's a cheaper one it might be a good idea to buy a new one with pickup, but that's a different topic, I suppose.

It all comes down to what you want the pickup for: electric guitar replacement, recording, playing live? If you give me a little hint here I might be able to tell you more ;)

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:58:48 pm »
Hi Jack! Thanks a lot, that's really helpful.

My point was to get something cheap to my cheap acoustic guitar which could imitate, at least partially, the effects of electric guitar. Just to have a little bit of fun with distortion and so. My target is an electric guitar, but once I'm getting one, I'd like it to be something from a higher shelf and at the moment I just can't afford such, I have too much more important expenses.
So I thought getting a simple cheap pickup plus cheap amp (all together it would cost about 50 Euro) could make some fun in the meantime.
I must think over now what to say to Santa Clause - do I really want this pickup or not. From what you said, I'll rather think of something different ;)

Thanks again and all the best! :)
"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." A. de Saint-Exupéry

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:16:28 pm »
Wise choice, I think ;)

Maybe if one or two other people talk to the man, they could help you get started on the electric road.

Now, there's tons of info in this forum about this, but here are a few, entirely unsolicited thoughts straight from my own brain: as I said, a fairly decent guitar (strat clone) is about € 100,-. For roughly the same price you can get a great modeling amp (don't shoot, tube police, I'm innocent). Check out J's ustream from 2 or 3 weeks ago, he test-drives the Fender Mustang I and seems pretty impressed. And you know what: this amp can sound even better than that (actually a lot better), once you get to know it (yes, Watson, I do have one). This little setup can take you pretty far. And the best thing: with sth like the Mustang I (8 amps down to simulating the speaker cabinets, 24 effects) you can figure out what you really want sound-wise, which makes shopping from the top shelf a whole lot easier.
Okay, I'll stop right here ;)

Cheers

Jack

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:01 pm »
Thanks again. I'm afraid that 100 + 100 Euro for a guitar and amp will be too much for my Santa, but I'm not gonna give up!
Btw, though unintentionally, you've just put smile on my face with your sense of humor, Mr Watson ;). Thanks for this, as well :)

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 09:58:40 pm »
That is "Dr. Watson", if you please! Manners maketh man!

:D

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:04:52 pm »
Ah.., right! Apologies  ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App