Author Topic: RF-007 • Le Freak (Chic - Nile Rodgers)  (Read 9632 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
RF-007 • Le Freak (Chic - Nile Rodgers)
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:53:48 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:04:52 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

treno80

Re: RF-007 • Le Freak (Chic - Nile Rodgers)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:38:59 pm »
hello and hi

I would like to know, this might seem a bit obvious but when and how can i control the mutes in this song.
Do i pick the notes out because ive tried that and still get a muted sound when keeping the rythem going.

Also i know i should transcribe myself im trying but when watching the vid justin goes through the notes and starts off with 7th fret 4th string and he picks it out twice now when it comes to the strumming and counting it out 1e&a an so on he goes 7 on 4th once then 5th fret on 3rd string a little trivial i know but it threw me  way out when trying to write it out is this correct thanks.

Da_vinci_cod

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:40:43 am »
to treno:

the way i did it was to just lift the fingers on my left hand so that they muted all the strings, and then I would strum if I felt like it.

El Kev

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:47:10 pm »
I`m struggling to mute the A string so what I did was put some paper over the bottom two strings to mute them (a la Johnny Cash) while I practised the rhythm. Once I had the rhythm I took off the paper and practised the muting.  Still not perfect though.

Offline Duri Traktorista

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:49:16 pm »
Hello,
great funky riff this one and also an awesome lesson!

I'm struggling with the "non-clicking" parts. I learned the riff while strumming all the strings and now when I focus on not-strumming the strings, I can't keep the steady rhythmic movement with my strumming hand and on the other hand when i focus on the steady movement i cant force the pick not to touch the strings. Moreover, my rhythm hand is quite stiff and not as fluent as you mentioned in the video (flicking-off water :) ). I don't really know how to solve this other than learning it correctly from the start again .. any tips? O:-)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:39:06 pm »
Try to practice the water flick loose wrist thing on some other progression.  Get comfortable with it for something not associated with the song in question.  Once you get it flowing there, THEN take it back to the song in question.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Duri Traktorista

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 04:13:10 pm »
Thanks, I will try that. :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:26:32 am »
A cool trick to try as well is to do the strumming without hitting the strings!

Still play the riff with the left hand, but strum over the strings without touching them, this will allow you to keep your hand loose and relaxed - once you have the feeling right, then try playing it again!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App