Author Topic: PC Software (Win/Linux) you can't do without ?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
PC Software (Win/Linux) you can't do without ?
« on: February 12, 2011, 09:15:36 pm »
Just looking to make a list of software people deem necessary to complete their daily computing routine.
I'm starting this thread in the hopes of finding (more) alternatives to software used daily, and just learning about new stuff that others might have been using for years.
This can be anything from browsers, FTP clients, AVS software, dvd ripping software, text and image editing... and anything in between.
BIt can be both free and paid software, BUT : PC ONLY !
No mobile or Mac stuff, if you want to list that, you can start your own thread and list it there, so that my thread doesn't get all cluttered.

Now, for me, the list is fairly extensive (and i'll group programs all made by the same company together for ease of navigation) :

Anydvd, Clonecd, Clonedvd, VirtualCloneDrive
Anydvd provides users with the option to watch DVD's, HD-DVD's and Blurays of all regions on their pc's, even if they are normally restricted from doing so by nonsense DRM measures.
It also tackles the rootkit-esque DRM Sony issued on some of it's CD's a few years back.
CloneCD and CloneDVD are meant to make legal backups of CD's and DVD's you own, and VirtualCloneDrive allows people to mount .iso and image files as if they where physical CD's, DVD's, HD-DVD's or even Blurays.
All of these are trials, except VirtualCloneDrive, which is free.

Ccleaner, Speccy, Recuva
Ccleaner is a browser (cache) and registry cleaner that helps keep your PC relatively clutter free.
Speccy lists your PC's hardware specifications, and Recuva is a data recovery software that lets you retrieve recently (accidentally) deleted files.
These are ALL freeware, with an option to donate.

Audacity
The Freeware audio recorder.
A nice, free alternative to Reaper, although not as extensive.

The Combined Community Codec Pack
A free collection of audio and video codecs packed in one handy installer, comes with a version of MediaPlayerClassic.

EVGA Precision
A tool for Nvidia videocard owners that lets them easily adjust the fanspeed and clocks of their cards.
100% free, just sign up on the EVGA website and you can freely download this tool (and others).

Filezilla
Simple freeware FTP client.

Fraps
Screen (video) capture tool.
Useful for making video demonstrations or showing off you r 1337 videogame skillz.
Trialware.

Gimp
Freeware image editing suite.
Loved by some, Maligned by others...

Gordian Knot Rippack
Free software that lets you rip your DVD's into almost every kind of compact video format.
Link leads to a direct download!

Gspot codec info tool
The name says it all really.
It's a freeware tool that identifies a video file and tells you what kind of video and audio it uses, and if you have the correct codecs installed to play the file.

Keepass
A freeware password managing application, handy for people who have literally hundreds of different logins on different websites, email services, etc.

LogMeIn
Remote administration software.
Handy for people with computer-illiterate parents/siblings/etc that frequently need help.

The K-lite Mega Codec Pack
Another fabulous free codec pack, also comes with a version of MediaPlayerClassic.

The Metasploit Framework
An exploitation framework used for PC/Server security/penetration testing.
Freeware.

mIRC
A trialware IRC chat client.
Keeps on working even if the trial expires, just nags about it every time you start the software.

Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla's free webbrowser and email client, both easily customisable, with thousands of plugins and add-ons available.
Need i say more ?

NMAP
Free network mapping software, lets you find out lots of things about other's computers.
But use at your own risk, as lots of ISP's frown upon frivolous use of this kind of scanning software.

PgcEdit
DVD editing software, lets you remove annoying trailers, FBI warnings etc.
Free, but has a nagging screen that asks you to buy it every time you start the program.

Quickpar
Used to create .par2 files for recovery, usually used on Usenet postings.
Handy tool for all you newsgroup pirates, and free  ;)

SabNZBd
A free, browser based Usenet download client with a nice customisable GUI and a very extensive set of options and uses beyond downloading from alt.binaries  ;)

Sam Spade
Handy tool for tracing spammers and other scummy internet abusing twits.

Free VOIP/chat software that also offers the option to call real phone numbers at a fee.

Steam
The (in)famous gaming platform.

TeamSpeak
Free chat/VOIP client mostly used by gamers.

Ventrilo
Free chat/VOIP client mostly used by gamers.

Winamp
Music player that plays almost all audio types, unlike (c)Apple's iTunes.
Has free and paid versions, and there are so many add-ons, plugins and extentions that the numbers are simply mind-boggling.

WinRAR
Archiving software, used to pack (and compress, if you choose to) any kind of data.
Trialware.

ĀµTorrent
Ah, microtorrent...
One of the most well known torrent clients, it's small, simple, lightweight, and used by billions for legal purposes (and probably used for illegal purposes by even more, but meh).
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: PC Software (Win/Linux) you can't do without ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:08:40 pm »
I suppose I could do without it but..... let's say I post it because I find them interesting.

FooBar2000 - Media player - Free
http://www.foobar2000.org/

Reaper - cost about $20 per year for top shelf performance and continual updates with 3rd party accessories. Comparable to any recording software on the market regardless of price. Solid, small and fast.
http://www.reaper.fm/

InkScape - Free vector graphics alternative to the Illustrator.
http://inkscape.org/

On an as needed basic for DVD issues I usually go here....
http://www.doom9.net/  and decide what will do the job. I found DVD  Decrypter do work well in the past but probably something better these days.

PicPick - Free Screen Capture
http://picpick.wiziple.net/features

Wireshark - Free protocol analyzer
http://www.wireshark.org/

MidiOX - Free - Their description: MIDI-OX is a Windows 9x / Windows NT program. It is a 32 bit program which will not operate under earlier versions of Windows. MIDI-OX 32 is a multi-purpose tool: it is both a diagnostic tool and a System Exclusive librarian. It can perform filtering and mapping of MIDI data streams. It displays incoming MIDI streams, and passes the data to a MIDI output driver or the MIDI Mapper.
http://www.midiox.com/

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:28:18 am by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:09:47 am »
Nowt like Dan's concise list but often overlooked is CPU temperature which can cause massive issues with your PC if it begins to overheat.

Coretemp -

Is a free (donation only) CPU monitoring program which allows you to keep an eye on exactly that.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:52:00 pm »
7-Zip - Free. Packing / unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM. Unpacking only: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR and Z.
Makes WinRar and WinZip look like crap. No nag screens either.

Teamviewer - Free for personal use only. Basically the same as GotoAssist remote desktop support.

Find and Mount - Partition recovery software that's free and works like a charm. Have used it on several dead hdd's to recover partitions and data for people

RealPlayer - Might be a little funky, but it's great for downloading youtube videos and videos off any site.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Quite possibly the best free Anti Virus app out there.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 04:26:16 am by Ragz »

EVH Fan

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:56 am »
Dan posted a bunch of things I already use so I'll post a few that haven't been posted.

Defraggler - disk defragment software.

Avira - free anti virus software.

Spybot Search and Destroy - free anti spyware software.

Open Office - Free office software. Great alternative to Microsoft Office if you can't afford it. I used to use it but I got Microsoft office 2007 for free (yes it is a legitimate copy not a crack).

Project 64 - For all your N64 emulation needs.

Xfire - Free voice chat program.

GSC - Another free voice chat program. I find it runs better than Xfire.

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 03:30:51 am »
I used to use heaps of software every day, these days however mostly I use what comes with Windows.

I do use Google Chrome as a browser, for a couple of reasons, firstly my misus also uses my home PC and she uses firefox, this way she can have her pages set up and logins all setup on firefox, and I can have mine on Chrome ( e.g. hotmail, facebook etc ) 

I have started using, occasionally, ShowMyPc .. which is a remote control util.  its a bit clunky and slow, but its free, and works on all versions of Windows. and you do not have to install anything, its just an EXE  www.showmypc.com this has been useful when someone wants my help, but actually getting them to download and install and configure other software is too big a pain.

malwarebytes is a decent little freebee virus / malware cleaner that I use every so often to clean one of those annoying fake antivirus programs.

I use4d to use the built in torrent program on ubuntu, but lately have found that nearly all torrent sites of worth want you to sign up and pay ... seems to defeat the purpose imo.

I have RocketDock installed on my laptop, not really any improvement over what you get with Windows but looks nice and helps clear up the desktop

I also have Deskspace installed which is cool, but again doesn't really get much use.  most of my computers have more than one screen anyway.  But it can be useful for when using the laptop with its own screen.

I do use Norton Ghost on a few PC's that are set up as training machines at various places I do work for, its great in that with a little tweaking you can set a boot option to restore the system to default and takes about 10 mins.  great for training machines, but other than that not so useful really.
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

cdcaddx

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 09:12:09 pm »
No mobile or Mac stuff, if you want to list that, you can start your own thread and list it there, so that my thread doesn't get all cluttered.

Just curious about "PC ONLY" ... are you using Linux or are you using Windows (or both?)? You've got "Win/Linux" in the title, but Linux runs on more than PCs and you can run most unix/linux stuff on a Mac.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 09:26:17 pm »

Just curious about "PC ONLY" ... are you using Linux or are you using Windows (or both?)? You've got "Win/Linux" in the title, but Linux runs on more than PCs and you can run most unix/linux stuff on a Mac.

Well, it's simple really : linux might run on current Macs (and most of the old IBM ones with some work), but i expect that the amount of people buying that kind of overpriced hardware just to run Linux or a real Unix on it will be slim.
The point mostly is to keep Mac specific apps (MacOS) out of the list because they :

A) Don't interest me, and this thread is about me looking for new/interesting software that i will be able to use, and which might also point others to said software.
Profit++  ;D
B) The only Apple products i own are an Apple ][+ , a Powermac 8100, both obviously outdated and only used out of an enthusiasm for old hardware, and an iPod nano, which is used without iTunes.
C) 9 out of 10 times MAcOS apps are very specific in that they don't have Windows or *nix/Linux builds, which is funny considering the amount of multi-platform apps that in turn do run on Macs as well.
D) I have an extreme dislike for Mac fanboys, so to keep my exposure to them to a minimum in this thread, i'm keeping it Mac free.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:02:14 pm »
notepad++ :
tabs, syntax recognition and handy tools. ideal for a serious webdever who becomes mad of dreamweaver templates.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/

Adobe Flex:
it's like Microsoft Visual Studio but for Flash. The graphical dude with programming affinity (me!) finds it great fun. not free though.

Adobe Photoshop.
Not free, but crucial to my sidebusiness

Steam; for Company of heroes, Day of defeat source, Half-Life 2 deathmatch and Counter-Strike Source.

Filezilla: ftp program (already mentioned as well)

Renamer: very very handy file to rename a bunch of ifles ; you can define rules and their order to rename them. ideal to make sequential fotogalleries out of DSC654651.jpg styled files
Free and great! http://www.snapfiles.com/get/denrenamer.html
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:50 pm »
Hey Lieven, on that file renamer, do you know if it would do this...

Let's say I have 5 drive letters A B C D E and on those drives are some identical named files possibly created at different dates.

So could it for instance find...

A:\myfile.pdf
D:\myfile.pdf
E:\myfile.pdf

Then maybe name them myfile1.pdf, myfile2.pdf, myfile3.pdf  and as a bonus maybe allow me to easily have them all in one directory after the rename?

Gone

EVH Fan

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 04:51:42 am »
http://www.techsupportalert.com/

I found that website maybe a year ago. It has a lot of lists of freeware. With each program being described and rated. Probably could find something to do whatever you need.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 06:35:40 am »
A must website with plenty of good software recommendations for sysops and IT nuts:

http://4sysops.com

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:24:14 am »

Then maybe name them myfile1.pdf, myfile2.pdf, myfile3.pdf  and as a bonus maybe allow me to easily have them all in one directory after the rename?

yes, you can add files from different locations all into one queue and do a series of transformations on it. you can even save the preset. It has a lot of options but I didn't find the "export files to" function yet.
I foudn an option to export the old and new paths etc ..my version is old, perhaps a newer has it already?
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 01:25:00 pm »
Thanks, I've downloaded it just need to give it a shot.
Gone

cdcaddx

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 06:27:11 pm »
Well, it's simple really : linux might run on current Macs (and most of the old IBM ones with some work), but i expect that the amount of people buying that kind of overpriced hardware just to run Linux or a real Unix on it will be slim.

Around here (I'm a computer engineer working at a university) the most common computing environment is a Mac laptop and Linux servers in the labs and computing center...   I think the reason for the Mac usage is that people want a Unix environment but they also need to be able to run the real Microsoft office apps (word/powerpoint) and don't want to deal with open office...  on the Unix side you definitely see a lot of tcsh/bash shell, perl/python scripting, vi/emacs editing, gcc compiling, and latex paper writing going on on the macs.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App