Author Topic: PC Software (Win/Linux) you can't do without ?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline old-and-in-the-way

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • That's what I heard him say
Re: PC Software (Win/Linux) you can't do without ?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 02:40:10 am »
  • rsync - efficient copying, either local<->remote or local<->local
  • ssh - both in its own right as a secure telnet replacement and as a transport for rsync.  Also for tunnelling otherwise plain text traffic when I don't trust the network I'm on
  • tcpdump -- wireshark is fine for analysing a stream once it's been captured, but tcpdump is easily the most flexible way to get the original packet capture.
  • qemu/kvm/xen (according to hardware resources) -- for when I want to test something potentially stupid without bricking a real machine.
  • perl - because there's always something I want to be able to do that would be  a PITA in any other way but is a quick (usually ugly) hack in perl (Most recently tagging ogg vorbis files for music players that refuse to infer artist/album/title from the directory tree)
  • libaubio - everything I ever wanted to do to analyse music already written and wrapped up in a library for me
  • bash - because sometimes I just need to replace myself with a small shell script.

Offline old-and-in-the-way

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • That's what I heard him say
Re: PC Software (Win/Linux) you can't do without ?
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 02:45:57 am »
Hey Lieven, on that file renamer, do you know if it would do this...

Let's say I have 5 drive letters A B C D E and on those drives are some identical named files possibly created at different dates.

So could it for instance find...

A:\myfile.pdf
D:\myfile.pdf
E:\myfile.pdf

Then maybe name them myfile1.pdf, myfile2.pdf, myfile3.pdf  and as a bonus maybe allow me to easily have them all in one directory after the rename?

Who needs a tool for that?  On *nix you'd just use the shell:

Code: [Select]
i=0; mkdir -p output; find / -name myfile.pdf | while read file; do  \
cp "$file" "output/$(basename "$file" .pdf)-$i.pdf"; i=$(($i + 1)); done

:-p
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:01:58 am by old-and-in-the-way »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App