Author Topic: This is the set up im 95% sure im gunna go with good or ugly?  (Read 1312 times)

Ric-newbie

This is the set up im 95% sure im gunna go with good or ugly?
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:48:12 pm »
Going on holiday in a bit and im gunna send my pacifica in for new pick ups, basically this is my 1st guitar and I want it to be a blues machine im learning justins really useful blues so ive got clapton albert king and srv on the brain at the moment!!! So the guitar aint worth too much so im going with a low ish budget I guess. I think gunna go with iron gear texas loco in the neck and the middle and a blues engine in the bridge. 1st time ive bought pick ups and Ive listened to the samples but together do you reckon these will make a good combo?

Ric-newbie

Re: This is the set up im 95% sure im gunna go with good or ugly?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:25:23 pm »
Ive put the order in eeek let you guys know what they are like.

flyhead

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:31:58 pm »
I'm no gear-geek, but I can tell you that no pick-up yet invented is capable of implanting any of the cited artists' sound into your guitar. Besides, thay all used very different gear. What they did do, however, was to unashamedly steal each other's licks.
That is the starting point you should assume to reach your goal.

Edit: I would also urge you to consider the wisdom of upgrading your guitar. Although this certainly may be done, it is not the option to provide most return on investment. You will never be rewarded for home-modding the Pacifica if and when you decide to sell it, and although the Pacifica is an excellent guitar at its price-point, the other components and materials used in it do reflect the limitations of manufacturing cost.
I would argue that you would be better served by selling the Pacifica untweeked and buying a more desirable guitar, be it new or used.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:51:57 pm by flyhead »

uncle harry

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:25:18 pm »
The pick ups arnt the be all & end all of the sound, the quality of the wiring & switching also
plays its part and as I found out a better amp will also make a real difference , playing at home
unless you have a real sympathetic partner or neighbors means playing at lower volume
this also alters  the sound coming out of the end , nope certainly no expert but Justins
saying buy cheap buy twice is very true 

Ric-newbie

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:20:44 pm »
Yea I see where your coming from with what your saying, Im never gonna sell this guitar its my 1st so Ill keep it regardless its gunna cost me about 150 to buy and get these fitted and that will be it as far as this guitar goes. Ill maybe invest big money in a usa strat further down the line but I think this will tie me over for a while.

Yea totally agree its all about the diffrent styles and licks and so on im learning as many different licks as I can fit in my brain at the moment from the really useful blues and listening to old blues tunes etc.

As for the amp yea I could maybe do with selling my marshall avt 50 as its just too big and I cant get the best from it as I cant revv it right up but Ill look into that.

cheers fellas

Get The Forum As A Mobile App