Author Topic: Are tube mic's worth it for home use?  (Read 821 times)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
Are tube mic's worth it for home use?
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:01:36 pm »
Just wondering if the cost is worth it to someone just using an audio interface to record through? Or are these types of mic only really best used in a proper studio environment?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Are tube mic's worth it for home use?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:32:25 pm »
Tube mics as opposed to another non-tube mic of similar quality may impart some nuances that you might find appealing on some sources. On the other hand, one of the most important things in recording is the quality of your room. I would rather have one good mic in a great room than one great mic in a bad room.

I would also rather have any mic that sounded great on the intended source than have 2 great mics that didn't sound good on the source.

Lot's of the "affordable" tube mics get modified. New tubes, transformer and capsule and circuit for that matter. So basically you are buying the enclosure and power supply.

Gone

David Stone

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »
No I don't think so actually tube are not for home use. you should use smaller mic's for home use. But choosing tube mic's for in home occasions can be a good coice.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:11:07 pm »
I would've wanted an MKL-2500 or MKL-5000 if they were still being sold in the shop...
Yes, I'd definitely get a tube mic at some point. Maybe that's because I'm part gearhead and part engineer. ;D
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App