Author Topic: Older guitar students / Can 'older dogs' learn new tricks?  (Read 120401 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Older guitar students / Can 'older dogs' learn new tricks?
« Reply #425 on: May 24, 2021, 08:23:26 am »
Hi Diane and welcome. 2 songs will become 3 will become 4 will become many more. :)

Offline Stephen50

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #426 on: July 17, 2021, 11:38:21 pm »
I'm 65
And I'm learning guitar.
There is no limit to learn what ever you want.
The only limit is what is you, if you say you can you can, if you say you can't, it is equally true.
It's up to you!

Sent from my SM-T580 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #427 on: July 18, 2021, 07:08:02 am »
Welcome to the forum Stephen.

Well said. Age is just a number and although some physicality main decline, as that number gets bigger, the only limiting factor is the one between your ears. As I always say never too old to rock n roll.

And shout up if you hit any hurdles, there a warm friendly bunch here who have all been down the same road at some point and only too willing to help.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline SgtColon

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #428 on: July 29, 2021, 10:46:45 am »
Hello,

I'm 50 years old and finally got my act together to learn guitar.

I first started back when I was about 10 on a classical but had to give up as my parents couldn't afford it any longer. Bought an acoustic back in 98 but then didn't bother with it until earlier this year.

I was still able to remember the notes on the guitar from my youth but I want to learn rhythm guitar first and then hopefully, be able to progress to fingering and learning to read tabs.

Really enjoying the beginner course and loving what Justin is doing.

I play a Yamaha FG411 at the moment. Looking at investing in a Fender Player Stratocaster 3 Tone Sunburst at some point in the future.

Nice to meet you all.  :)
Don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
« Reply #429 on: July 29, 2021, 11:01:37 am »
Welcome Sgt Colon and glad you're enjoying the course! it's an active community and you'll find people ready to answer your questions...stick with the course and you'll be able to play.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
« Reply #430 on: July 29, 2021, 11:18:08 pm »
@ Stephen and SgtColon

Hello and welcome. Older, younger, inbetween - we cater for all testes here! :) Any questions just pipe up and someone will offer to help.

Offline Tramps

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #431 on: August 07, 2021, 06:20:41 pm »
Hey, all. I’m another older (nearly 60) “beginner” that recently discovered the Justin universe of resources and have been smitten. I read through this thread and thought I’d follow forum etiquette and post an intro.

I’m a lifelong avid music fan (blues, rock, folk, Americana, etc.). I never played as a kid but, some 30 years ago, I did buy an acoustic, learned some open chords, and have played a bit just for my own amusement.  I never took lessons, though I tried the Gibson “Learn & Master” DVDs years ago. It was well-structured and had good information, but the music was rather old-school, presentation a bit dull, and it never motivated me. Now I’m starting early retirement and finally I have more free time to learn more than open chords.

I found Justin’s course after learning about him on one of the Anderton’s YouTube videos. The organized approach immediately spoke to me.  Justin is a natural at online teaching. He obviously is knowledgeable but--just as important--he also puts out a thoughtful, enthusiastic, self-deprecating, non-condescending vibe that wears well even after hours of viewing. You can’t teach that!  (Endless kudos, Justin.)

I just went through Grades 1 and (most of) 2 of the Beginner course fairly quickly as a refresher and to acquaint myself with the site, and very much enjoyed it. (To support the site, I bought the beginner app but, honestly, that hasn’t spoken to me and I rarely use it.) I followed Justin’s advice and did the early theory and ear training lessons, too.

Now, I’m consolidating a bit and getting acquainted with my early retirement present to myself: an HSS Player Strat (and a Boss Katana amp--mostly due to Justin’s review). After years of acoustic-only, I’m looking forward to experimenting with this variety of new sounds; an entirely different world to learn and navigate, though. First off, I need to learn how do a proper electric set-up to deal with some annoying intonation issues I’m having right out of the gate.

After getting more comfortable with my electric guitar, my plan is to move forward through the course levels, though much more slowly now, while figuring out when it makes the most sense to dive into the theory (which I find fascinating) and other “skills” courses. It’s not clear to me how best to proceed with some of “skills” stuff but I’ve got plenty to work on and time to figure all that out. I’m looking forward to it.

That’s more than enough for now. Best.

P.S. I was a distance runner (5K’s to marathons) and chose the Springsteen-inspired username over 20 years ago for an online running forum (“Tramps like us, baby we were born to run.”), so I kind of like the idea that it’s come full circle back to music!  :)
"Learning how to play guitar is the one thing I always look back on with wonderment."--Jeff Tweedy

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
« Reply #432 on: August 07, 2021, 06:33:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum Tramps.

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #433 on: August 07, 2021, 09:06:18 pm »
Welcome Tramps! Intonation on an electric is pretty straight forward if you are at all handy. Check this:

https://guitargearfinder.com/guides/guitar-intonation/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tramps

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #434 on: August 07, 2021, 10:23:44 pm »
Welcome Tramps! Intonation on an electric is pretty straight forward if you are at all handy.

Thanks. I think I was being too timid in the adjustments at first but it's much improved now. It's brand new this week, so after I play it a bit, I'll take the time for a more thorough set up to tweak it further. I've done this before with my acoustic, but this is a different animal--and hopefully easier in some ways.
"Learning how to play guitar is the one thing I always look back on with wonderment."--Jeff Tweedy

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #435 on: August 07, 2021, 11:15:47 pm »
Much easier, but more moving parts. Especially if you have a floating bridge.

Acoustics are scary because certain changes are hard to undo. I sweat bullets when I trimmed down the nice bone saddle on my Larrivee…

Offline Pangolin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #436 on: August 08, 2021, 11:26:49 pm »
Hi there. I goofed around on Justin's old YouTube videos a few years back but never really got traction. Now, at 58, I'm making a proper run of it. I'm starting from the beginning and happy to find I learned enough earlier that the first couple of modules are very easy for me, so meanwhile I'm having fun with some of the "shorts" and learning some cool chord progressions. The combined value of my acoustic and electric guitars is less than $400, and I've set the goal that if I make it to intermediate, I can reward myself with a "good" guitar.

Speaking of which, I think there used to be a video or two on YouTube in which Justin talked about his own guitars, the ones that star in his lessons. Are those still around? I couldn't find anything.

Cheers!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
« Reply #437 on: August 09, 2021, 09:14:29 am »
Welcome to the forum Pangolin.
You're doing the right thing following the new beginner course structure step by step.
Here is the info you were asking about: https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/justins-guitars
Cheers
:)

Offline Tramps

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #438 on: August 10, 2021, 03:35:51 pm »
To support the site, I bought the beginner app but, honestly, that hasn’t spoken to me and I rarely use it.

FWIW, my comment above was based on the app I downloaded about a month ago. I noticed that the updated version is now available and I checked it out. Much nicer, more intuitive interface, with the "new" beginner course fully integrated. But the most impressive thing is the new sound....Wow!  Great improvement!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
« Reply #439 on: August 11, 2021, 08:24:05 am »
@ Tramps.

I'm glad to hear you like the new app so much.
Could I please ask a favour.
With some of the bugs etc it got slightly hammered in the app feedback stakes.
Would you please go to your app store and give it a positive review?
Many thanks.
Richard

Offline MrPB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #440 on: August 11, 2021, 01:18:42 pm »
How have some people managed to get the new app in advance?

Appreciate it gets proper release tomorrow so not long to wait
@close2u is there a single thread for all feedback/reviews etc for the new app only?
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Positive Grid Spark Amp

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
« Reply #441 on: August 11, 2021, 02:02:29 pm »
How have some people managed to get the new app in advance?

Appreciate it gets proper release tomorrow so not long to wait
@close2u is there a single thread for all feedback/reviews etc for the new app only?

Android was released across some individual countries first..
iOS apps (so I am reliable told) can only be released en masse globally, not country by country in steps.

Feedback / reviews ideally go on the app store.
If you walso want to comment in the forum it would be here https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=181.0
Cheers

Offline MrPB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #442 on: August 11, 2021, 04:11:42 pm »
Android was released across some individual countries first..
iOS apps (so I am reliable told) can only be released en masse globally, not country by country in steps.

Feedback / reviews ideally go on the app store.
If you walso want to comment in the forum it would be here https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=181.0
Cheers

Cheers
Really looking forward to getting this
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Positive Grid Spark Amp

Offline Tramps

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #443 on: August 11, 2021, 04:31:44 pm »
@ Tramps.

Would you please go to your app store and give it a positive review?

Done.

Offline Tramps

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #444 on: August 11, 2021, 04:36:06 pm »
Much easier, but more moving parts. Especially if you have a floating bridge.

Yeah, it was set up this way but I quickly realized it wasn't worth it, given how little I'd use the tremolo.  I went ahead and blocked it. Nice and stable now.

Offline uncleah

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #445 on: August 12, 2021, 10:02:26 pm »
I started fooling around with a guitar when I was in high school in the early 60's.  I bought a guitar from Sears for a few bucks.  Big mistake.  My fingers could fit under the strings at the nut, but what did I know.  That attempt at guitar did not last long.

After college I tried again with a lot better guitar.   I tried the traditional route with a music school and and had a great teacher.  I learned to read music.  He had a very varied love a music and I developed a taste that went from folk to classical.  I lived in NY so I got to see many of the legends at Gerdes, the Philmore East and many other places in the Village.

Unfortunately, life got in the way of guitar and with a family and bills to pay my guitar playing went on hold.  So here I am, 40 something years later giving it a  go again.  Fortunately my guitar did pretty well sitting in its case all those years.

I have found Justin's approach to be great.  He does some things a bit differently then the way I learned but he explains why he is doing things that way and they make a lot of sense.  He sure got the part about finger pain right.  I hadn't forgotten everything from before but I sure forgot about that.  I am really glad I have gotten past that and am having fun again.

If anyone thinks 70+ is too old for this, i can tell them they are wrong.

Offline Pangolin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #446 on: August 17, 2021, 12:13:27 am »
I started fooling around with a guitar when I was in high school in the early 60's.  I bought a guitar from Sears for a few bucks.  Big mistake.  My fingers could fit under the strings at the nut, but what did I know.  That attempt at guitar did not last long.

After college I tried again with a lot better guitar.   I tried the traditional route with a music school and and had a great teacher.  I learned to read music.  He had a very varied love a music and I developed a taste that went from folk to classical.  I lived in NY so I got to see many of the legends at Gerdes, the Philmore East and many other places in the Village.

Unfortunately, life got in the way of guitar and with a family and bills to pay my guitar playing went on hold.  So here I am, 40 something years later giving it a  go again.  Fortunately my guitar did pretty well sitting in its case all those years.

I have found Justin's approach to be great.  He does some things a bit differently then the way I learned but he explains why he is doing things that way and they make a lot of sense.  He sure got the part about finger pain right.  I hadn't forgotten everything from before but I sure forgot about that.  I am really glad I have gotten past that and am having fun again.

If anyone thinks 70+ is too old for this, i can tell them they are wrong.
Great story. As someone who joined a couple of weeks ago, let me act like an old hand and say "welcome!"

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #447 on: August 17, 2021, 07:17:52 am »
Uncleah

Never too old to rock n roll. In the trude spirit of never giving up, glad to see you have started the journey again. Welcome.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Deirdre1

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #448 on: September 15, 2021, 01:07:32 am »
I just turned 63 this month.  I never even handled a guitar before but wanted to have a go at learning a musical instrument, and the guitar was smaller than a piano!  So I embarked on the effort completely clueless as to how difficult it actually is to learn to play. That was a year ago and I'm still at it and completely hooked.  I'm sure I'm not progressing at the same rate as your average 10 year old, but the sense of accomplishment when I master another chord or get through a simple tune is second to none.  I give Justin full credit for his skill in teaching and making it all seem achievable.  I have yet to get up the nerve to play in front of anyone, I still get "metronome panic" as I call it, but I am still forging ahead and loving it.  Maybe one day I will have mastered a few recognizable sing-along tunes and impress the young whipper-snappers in my family, but until then I will just keep learning, keep practicing and keep having a blast. 8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #449 on: September 15, 2021, 05:58:46 am »
I just turned 63 this month.  I never even handled a guitar before but wanted to have a go at learning a musical instrument, and the guitar was smaller than a piano!  So I embarked on the effort completely clueless as to how difficult it actually is to learn to play. That was a year ago and I'm still at it and completely hooked.  I'm sure I'm not progressing at the same rate as your average 10 year old, but the sense of accomplishment when I master another chord or get through a simple tune is second to none.  I give Justin full credit for his skill in teaching and making it all seem achievable.  I have yet to get up the nerve to play in front of anyone, I still get "metronome panic" as I call it, but I am still forging ahead and loving it.  Maybe one day I will have mastered a few recognizable sing-along tunes and impress the young whipper-snappers in my family, but until then I will just keep learning, keep practicing and keep having a blast. 8)

Warm welcome to the Forum, Deirdre. Bravo on progress made. Keep doing what you are doing and I am sure you will impress the family in due course.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App