Author Topic: Older guitar students / Can 'older dogs' learn new tricks?  (Read 87884 times)

Offline FEY

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Older guitar students / Can 'older dogs' learn new tricks?
« Reply #325 on: May 20, 2020, 10:58:08 pm »

Hi FEY, Isnt it just fun making music

Yes it is, with the possible exception of finger stretching exercises.   :)

Just finished practice for today, saw some progress.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 586
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #326 on: June 22, 2020, 06:00:08 pm »
bump for new members of a certain age ...

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #327 on: June 28, 2020, 08:07:18 pm »
44 soon to be 45
I’d bought a guitar years ago and literally never learnt a chord So sold it
Got another a month or so ago with the intention of one ‘last’ attempt. Been doing Justin’s course for a couple of weeks now and loving it
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Positive Grid Spark Amp

Offline Rosshkerr

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #328 on: June 28, 2020, 09:44:11 pm »
I'm 53 and started guitaring again about 3 years ago. Got a guitar and amp in my early 20s as my mate had one. I'd wanted to learn for a while as I had been into punk then metal music but never had the money for one.   Sort of started learning buy never really learnt chords properly as my mate said 'this is a bar chord, much easier than normal chords' so I learnt bar chords. Got married and promoted at work so ended up selling my year as I never had time to play. We went to the British grand prix a few years ago and there was an excellent covers band afterwards. My wife always complained that I was hard to get presents for so I said a guitar and amp kit. Got a cheap set for xmas and found I still loved it.

Started learning some songs via YouTube and songsterr tabs (so much easier than when I was younger) and got another couple if guitars (epiphone dot and sg) that hang on the wall. Found Justin's site and, while I still learn songs rather than learning to play guitar, I love Justin's teaching style and have learnt many songs here. Loving the community  and helpfulness on here. Good to know there are many old farts, both make and female, here... gives me hope for the future

Sent from my SM-N950F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #329 on: June 28, 2020, 11:18:14 pm »
Ross at 53 your a positive youngster lad  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline rwoodlin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2020, 03:47:31 pm »
I came back to the guitar at 66.  Figure I might be mature enough to actually learn some things I forgot to learn in my teens, like rhythm and proper tuning of the instrument - we didn't have sonic tuners then and my tin ears made using a pitch pipe futile.
I sold my beloved Gibson Melody Maker and bought the first of a series of acoustic guitars.  The acoustic action of my last purchase, a Dorado by Gretsch made in Japan is so high it just hurt to play it.  Couple that with people leaving the room whenever I picked it up and it gathered dust for 40+ years.
Fast forward to April of this year.  I came into possession of a Marshal G250 dfx amplifier (long story).  Thought about giving it away to a friend who played electrics but something made me start looking at electric guitars.  I found a G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy tribute that just fit my hand perfectly and was easy to play.  Brought it home, found Justinguitar and a certain type of nirvana descended upon me.
I am cruising through B104, wrote out the TAB for Sunshine of Your Love from the video Justin made for one of the more advanced lessons and now have a goal! 
I intend to take my time with each lesson progressing to the next when I have hit the proper milestones but that TAB will get some use, if for no other reason to get my ya yas out!
Life is good  ;)
Regards,
Robert

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #331 on: June 29, 2020, 05:45:39 pm »
I came back to the guitar at 66.  Figure I might be mature enough to actually learn some things I forgot to learn in my teens, like rhythm and proper tuning of the instrument - we didn't have sonic tuners then and my tin ears made using a pitch pipe futile.
I sold my beloved Gibson Melody Maker and bought the first of a series of acoustic guitars.  The acoustic action of my last purchase, a Dorado by Gretsch made in Japan is so high it just hurt to play it.  Couple that with people leaving the room whenever I picked it up and it gathered dust for 40+ years.
Fast forward to April of this year.  I came into possession of a Marshal G250 dfx amplifier (long story).  Thought about giving it away to a friend who played electrics but something made me start looking at electric guitars.  I found a G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy tribute that just fit my hand perfectly and was easy to play.  Brought it home, found Justinguitar and a certain type of nirvana descended upon me.
I am cruising through B104, wrote out the TAB for Sunshine of Your Love from the video Justin made for one of the more advanced lessons and now have a goal! 
I intend to take my time with each lesson progressing to the next when I have hit the proper milestones but that TAB will get some use, if for no other reason to get my ya yas out!
Life is good  ;)

Slow and steady wins the day, follow the path that never ends  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline RAG1

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #332 on: July 15, 2020, 05:06:45 pm »
I'm 68 and I always thought guitar was way too hard to learn. I fixed some guitar electronics for friends and had a friend send me an old tele and parts. I decided to build a Tele for fun and then sell it. So I built an interesting  passive tone circuit but really couldn't tell how well it worked because I didn't know any chords. So i decided to try to learn a few chords. Being I lack musical talent my goal was 4 chords in a month or chuck it(I have to say that first week was bleek). I found Justin's web site and what a saving grace. Been two weeks now and have 8 chords and working my ADE changes. Too much fun. Think I may be addicted.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 586
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2020, 05:22:10 pm »
To all the old 'uns who have visitied this thread recently and who are just learning - I tip my hat to you all. Bravo. :)

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #334 on: July 16, 2020, 06:54:48 pm »
Well I hope so! I've just turned 58 & am just about to start...once I get a guitar sorted!
You are never too old to learn anything. Octagenarians have achieved university degrees & an old work colleague of mine was 54 when he started running, & now he runs marathons in his 60s.
Just go ahead & do it or you may regret not having tried. I sort of regret not persevering with guitar when I was younger but I have to forget that & start now & see where it takes me. There's also an old saying "Aim for the stars & you might grab a cloud".  :)
Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Offline TCB

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #335 on: July 16, 2020, 08:35:39 pm »
Looking back, I wish now that I had stuck with learning to play when I bought my first guitar 23 years ago. Unfortunately, that guitar sat in a closet for most of those years. But, looking forward, I'm glad that I found Justin's website 7 months ago, picked up that guitar and now at 65 I've learned way more than I every had before, and look forward to continuing along this journey...

Tom

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #336 on: July 16, 2020, 10:25:34 pm »
Thank you Close2u...but you may want to pull that hat down over your ears when you hear some of us start to play!!! What a pity I live in an end of terrace house, I'd look forward to annoying the neighbours at my age!!!  8)
Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #337 on: July 20, 2020, 07:15:06 am »
I started on guitar when I was 16, but my approach to learning and practice wasn't very efficient; I wasted years just kind of bumbling around and making haphazard progress.

I didn't "get serious" about my guitar playing until the last decade or so, and I'm 49, now. Fortunately, in that last decade it feels like I made up for lost time. Justin's instructional material were a major influence. I wish something like his site and products had been around when I first started, as that might have made a difference!

Anyway, I'd say it's never to late, and yes "older dogs" can learn new tricks.

Offline CraigB

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #338 on: August 13, 2020, 07:08:08 am »
I am 47 and on day 3 of learning guitar (electric) with Justin's BC.   I have never played or tried to play one previously.

I do play another instrument (bagpipes) but want to learn guitar for ME! No wish to impress others or play in a band or do gigs but literally, a bit of therapy for me to learn a  new art, play music and see where it leads.

I don't think there is an age limit on learning, irrespective what it is that you learn. If it pleases you and is good for your soul, then do it.

Will I ever be good? I hope to be... Will I have fun along the way DAMN RIGHT
Some people give me an odd look or whisper behind their hands when I tell them I am learning guitar. They probably think a 53 year old has no business taking up an instrument.

Well I'm exaggerating a little...I bought my Guitar in my youth (when I was 45) and have known most of the open chords since I was a kid.
I wasted many years tinkering on the mandolin and banjo but ...for the last few months I have been making a serious effort to become a 'guitar hero';-) Since I discovered Justin's site about a month ago, my playing has improved 300% and I joined a bush Orchestra (first Gig coming up on Saturday).

I'd like to start breaking down the age prejudice a little and would like to hear the stories of other older students. Perhaps we can offer each other a bit of  support and encouragement  and show that it's never too late to become a reasonable/good guitar player.

Looking forward to some stories.

Sent from my STK-LX1 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline bobuva

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #339 on: August 18, 2020, 11:02:51 pm »
I'm 64, and maybe the thing that turned me this year was the fact that I'm 64, just as in Paul McCartney's incredible When I'm Sixty-Four. Had bought an electric guitar as a teen ($5 each month on layaway for a $35 guitar), just fooled with it, never joined a band. Then twenty years ago I bought a Washburn acoustic and took some lessons but it didn't stick.

Justin's guitar lessons are so incredible that, four or five weeks in, I'm going to make it this time! I also have a lot more time on my hands these days.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #340 on: August 19, 2020, 02:12:21 pm »
I'm 64, and maybe the thing that turned me this year was the fact that I'm 64, just as in Paul McCartney's incredible When I'm Sixty-Four. Had bought an electric guitar as a teen ($5 each month on layaway for a $35 guitar), just fooled with it, never joined a band. Then twenty years ago I bought a Washburn acoustic and took some lessons but it didn't stick.

Justin's guitar lessons are so incredible that, four or five weeks in, I'm going to make it this time! I also have a lot more time on my hands these days.

Way to go Bob. I was 64 back in March but decided to finally knuckle down and learn when I retired in 2011 but it was stop start for a couple of years. Then I found Justin ....................  8)

Offline rwoodlin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #341 on: August 20, 2020, 11:04:17 am »

Welcome, Bob.
At 66 I've got a couple years on you but my guitar journey is similar to yours.
With age comes wisdom and focus.  Justin's methodology has greatly increased my focus and desire to finally learn to play the guitar well.  It sounds like your experience with his course is doing the same for you.
Best wishes on your path to guitar nirvana and enjoy the ride!
Regards,
Robert

Offline ynot

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2020, 11:19:27 pm »
After dreaming about playing guitar for years at the age of 54 I finally got serious.  justin guitar was a huge part of my success.  8 years on I've played 75 open mics at music club, pubs, festivals and lately online.  It's heaps of fun and well worth the effort.  it's now a lifestyle.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2020, 03:27:42 am »
I am going to be 55 in November! I am a female and have been playing guitar for 10 yrs! I am obsessed with music, learning as much as I can and playing! I have been in a few bands. It has been the best thing to happen to me! My level of playing has gone up significantly. I only dreamed of some of the stuff I am playing now.  Playing makes me very happy and I forget about all the other stuff in my life.

I plan on busking the the city streets of downtown Toronto Canada next summer if all goes well with a COVID vaccine! This is what I so desperately want to do. I have everything I need. I am so excited about the prospects of doing this. This will give me a bit of a break away from the band scene, to go out on my own and have fun because I don’t have to answer to anyone but me. If I happen to miss playing in a band, maybe I will try and squeeze that in somewhere too. Who knows?!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline ISupportU

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #344 on: October 28, 2020, 02:18:42 am »
Female old fart here, 59 years young.

I got a guitar when I was 11 (a "Stella" model from Best Products, which no longer exists - sort of like getting a guitar from Sears, which almost no longer exists). I had lessons for a year from what in hindsight was a poor teacher, but I did learn open chords, which have stuck with me all these years. Then I went onto the clarinet for the rest of school, and I couldn't take two kinds of lessons - went with the clarinet for band.

Close to 20 years ago, I got the guitar itch again, got a Seagull (LOVE it, and named it Stella for sentimental reasons), and used it to play kids songs because I was working with 3-5 year olds with disabilities and they loved singalong. Then, my boys got older, developed special needs, which was exhausting and the guitar went by the wayside again.

Now, one son has moved out and the other son is working and close to moving out and my husband and I are retired and so close to three months ago, I picked it up again and started from scratch with Justin's lessons and I really love it. Third times the charm - I'm sticking with it this time!

Beth from Austin, TX, US
We learn by doing

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 231
« Reply #345 on: October 28, 2020, 04:22:41 am »
Welcome to the forum Beth.
Justin has the best beginner course and with your background I think you'll
quickly move through the lesson and be bacm playing in no time.

Online Gordon Overkill

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #346 on: Today at 06:01:16 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm 38 and I bought my first guitar almost 25 years ago. But I never took any lessons and I am definitely no prodigy, so I always kept alot of smaller and bigger flaws in my technique and stagnated since... don't know... roughly 15 years on a not very impressive level. In order to honer the cliche, I finally became a bass player in a band (, which is actually pretty fun I don't intend to stop it ;) ).
Well, from time to time I sill like to play guitar and just recently a charming, small underground label offered to release a vinyl single of a project with me on guitars. This motivated me so much that I decided to finally work on all these old beginner-flaws and increase my overall skills. And when searching for "best online ressources for guitarist", luckily Justin was the first link that was adressed to me. So here I am, starting from lesson 1. I thought about skipping the first steps, but then I decided against it and just try to play everything a bit cleaner, a bit more conscious and with a bit less tension than I used to do. And after just a couple of weeks I feel like there is already some improvement! Can't wait to see where this journey will end. Go, old dogs, go! :D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App