Author Topic: Older guitar students / Can 'older dogs' learn new tricks?  (Read 64990 times)

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: Older guitar students / Can 'older dogs' learn new tricks?
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2017, 12:04:17 pm »
55 here and just started a week ago. Way too early to tell but "so far so good". Having a ball and enjoying the challenge, and that was the whole point of it.

Welcome aboard Joe B. You're starting at the same age I did. Stick with it even though there will be days you're completely frustrated. Fortunately the good days outnumber the bad. I've had a blast all this time as I approach 3 years of playing.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline kc6kip

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2017, 10:14:32 pm »
I too am 55 years old and I too just started playing and I'm loving every minute of it. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged it will come. I believe it

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Lucky Tim

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #317 on: July 18, 2019, 04:24:12 pm »
I started about 7 years ago at 50 years old. I had given up before I found Justin's lessons but found them and decided to give it one last try. I bought a cheap guitar, put some extra light strings on it, and lowered the action myself. I did the beginners course until I learned to play a few songs and then concentrated on learning more songs abandoning the course (a mistake perhaps). At some point I started to meet other players and was encouraged to sing (not in my plans and harder than I imagined). I started playing and singing at the pier in Pismo because I was at a low spot and knew it was good to meet people who could teach me. I met a man one winter day who taught me finger-style (not in my wildest dreams did I think I could do this). Many things I do now I used to watch others do, they made me laugh because it was so ridiculous thinking I could possibly do it.
*So can a person learn late in life? Yes.
*What is the benefit? It really keeps the mind and soul vital; a person exercises different parts of the consciousness and brain learning these skills.
*What does it cost? It's a commitment like no other, I "pick up" several times a day.
How does it feel? Energized, Alive, Excited, Nervous, Terrified, Frustrating, Victorious, Loving, Empathetic, Grateful, Regretful, Humble, Generous, Greedy, Coincidental, Egotistic, Educational, Strange and Natural but Mostly Heavenly.
When does it hurt? When I realize that I can do this and that I didn't sooner.
What changed? I was given the gift that in my opinion has to be given; it started with you Justin. Thank You.
Cheap guitar now replaced with Flame Maple Custom Martin that smells like Pancakes.
YUM.  :-*

Offline einvaal

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #318 on: August 07, 2019, 10:28:18 pm »
I'm 51 and started Justin's beginner course just a week ago.

When I was in my 40s, I felt pretty stressed out with the nagging idea that I need to make it before I turn 50.

Well, obviously I didn't -- whatever that it would've been, and I feel much more relaxed now. I can take a long-term view on guitar playing, and at the same time enjoy any small progress I make.

Back to that D chord... :)

Offline johnfitz670

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #319 on: September 01, 2019, 10:07:40 am »
Hi Guys,
I just hit 42 (recently) and have always wanted to learn guitar. Started with Justin in the last month and have been really surprised with how much I've learned. I don't think age should be a barrier. I am a bit sorry that I put it off for so long though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App