Author Topic: Counting whole/half notes  (Read 4265 times)

slimer525

Counting whole/half notes
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:45:54 am »
Hey all,

I'm up to exercise 3.2 and have a question about counting half notes (whole notes as well).

For a half note, would I say/tap with my finger 1, 2 ? Or would the 2 be silent since the note is held?

Thanks!

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: Counting whole/half notes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:52:32 am »
Lets take standard 4 beats to a bar.

Whole note = lasts 4 beats
Half note = lasts 2 beats
Quarter note = lasts 1 beat
Eight notes = lasts 1/2 beat
16th notes = lasts 1/4 beat

The important thing is the length.

Offline Sasquatch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Guitar Zero
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:41:36 am »
Hey all,

I'm up to exercise 3.2 and have a question about counting half notes (whole notes as well).

For a half note, would I say/tap with my finger 1, 2 ? Or would the 2 be silent since the note is held?

Thanks!

If there are 4 beats to a measure with a quarter note receiving 1 beat, the half note would receive two beats.  That is, the half note tone would be held for two beats.  What I do to maintain rhythm, throughout a song, is tap the count for the half note.  For me, I get all messed up if I try an do a silent count.  I had a real problem with this with rests.  I'm better off just tapping everything out and keep my rhythm going. 

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »
you would only say out loud the note that is played so say the 1 and whisper the 2 and the 3/4 if it was a whole note!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App