Author Topic: Connecting Sennheiser e935 up to a computer.  (Read 3563 times)

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
Re: Connecting Sennheiser e935 up to a computer.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 01:40:10 pm »
Excuse me butting in, but did you get your impedance transforming cable yet?

Yes, I have the cable.

How are you managing to get a stereo ..... plug. It's a plug not a jack for clarity.
with the sound you get, is it thin sounding and lacking body.

Yes, a jack.  No, the sound is not thin.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 01:59:34 pm »
Sophie, what version of Windows are you on?

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 02:15:18 pm »
@Rags, Windows XP Pro, v2002, SP3
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 02:33:37 pm »
ok, i don't know how much you're savvy with windows and pc's in general, so please excuse this if you've already figured this out and understand it. But i thought i'd put it in easy steps to follow right off the bat. That way it might help others who may not know how to do this too.
If you've done this already, please forgive :)

. Double click the volume control widget in your system tray
. In the Options menu, select Properties.

. In the Properties window, select the PLAYBACK radio button
. Under the *Show the following volume controls* list select all listed components and click OK

. In the Properties window, select the RECORDING radio button
. Under the *Show the following volume controls* list select all listed components and click OK

. In the Options menu, the Advanced Controls item should be checked.
. Under the Microphone device, you will now see an Advanced button, click it.

. Select the Microphone Boost (+20Db) check box (this may be greyed out and unavailable to you depending on your sound card)
. click close

Now give it a try again.

Also, as a test, try recording in another program and see if that makes any difference.
Windows XP has the built in Sound Recorder program somewhere in the Accessories program list on the start menu.
If you get louder results from using that, then it will narrow your problem down to Audacity and it's settings possibly.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 02:37:17 pm »
Ok but what I meant was, how is it becoming a stereo plug. Is it the adapter itself or are you adding something else?

I was concerned you were getting a phase cancellation but if the signal doesn't sound thin then it not likely that. I don;t understand why when you pulled the plug one notch it got no signal though. You should have gotten signal in one side.

The tip of the plug should have contacted the ring terminal of the jack and sent signal to the pc ( probably in the left channel ).

Normal use.....
The plug has three contacts Tip Ring Sleeve. The Jack has Three contact points. One contacts the Tip, one on the Ring and One touches the Sleeve when fully inserted. If you pull it out one notch the Tip will contact the Ring contact and put signal on one channel only.

Gone

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 03:03:44 pm »

You guys are really great taking time to help!!! 

@Ragz, Yes, the 20dB boost box was checked.   Tried the Windows Sound Recorder program and got the same result. 

I really think it's the characteristics of the mic; works fine when right up next to it, but signal falls off really fast several inches away.  Just my lack of experience with mics.

@TB-AV,  No, I didn't add anything.  Tried it again with same result.  Maybe only the tip contact is attached inside the computer since a mic is really a mono input?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 03:14:16 pm »
That shouldn't matter. It sounds like it's just that mic. There are some ribbon mics that even good outboard preamps have problems boosting the signal enough.

You probably need to start looking at a small regular mic pre. Normalizing like Ragz mentioned will work though and you will probably be surprised just how good it does sound. Normalize to Peaks not RMS. Set it to Peaks at -5 and see what you end up with.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App