Author Topic: Linux and Android apps that help out  (Read 794 times)

dgoemans

Linux and Android apps that help out
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:28 am »
Hi there,

I'm just starting out, and i just wanted to share some apps that i'm using under Linux and Android that have been a help so far. On my netbook i'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and these apps come straight out of the default repositories. I also have a combined audio in/out on my netbook, so i am not using the linux tuner app on a daily basis. So here's my list:

Linux:
  • GTick - Metronome. Horrible UI and sounds, but it's really functional and includes some nice settings like tapping for beat
  • TuxGuitar - Allows you to layout nice chord progressions
  • Lingot - Tuner

Android
  • gStrings - Amazing tuner app, i also paid for the pro version. i've been using it to tune both my acoustic and electric
  • Solo Lite - Brilliant app for testing chords and constructing your own sequences, pro version also available ( which i'll buy when i start using it more )
  • Mobile Metronome - Good metronome app, highest rated free one. Permissions seem a bit excessive but it is ad sponsored ( paid ad free version is avail ).

So what i've been doing is using an Amplug ( Vox classic rock ) and putting my phone or pc into the aux in, and then headphones on the line out. That way my wife can continue playing on the XBox while i'm practicing, and i get either Justin's videos or my metronome alongside what i'm playing. The same will work with most amps.

Please share your experiences and suggested apps too!

On an extra note: in the case of quality things that are often used, i always suggest donating in some way. I bought gStrings+ ages ago, because i would randomly tune my acoustic ( despite being useless at playing it ), and although the paid version didn't add many features that i wanted, the developer has done a great job, so (s)he deserves it ( as a dev of a free/donate Android app, i empathise ). The same applies for these brilliant guitar lessons. Justin's definitely getting a decent size donation from me in the next week or so - done, 20 Euro p/m until i'm finished the courses.

------------
Rock on!
David Goemans

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:59:53 pm by dgoemans »

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Re: Linux and Android apps that help out
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:08:02 am »
I have exactly those three android apps and love them.  I like not having to have a bunch of separate gadgets when one will do.

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline joeybigO

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 04:58:14 am »
I have a Mac and a RP155 and a VoxAC30

Garage Band on Mac and import my RP155 and at the same time Run Garage Band, which I really like.
It can handle up to 3 delays at once, which if i'm looking to learn a U2 song, this comes in real handy.

Now if I could just get a way to import the Vox into Garage Band, I would be cooking with butter there.

The Problem is if I go on a gig, or even have a show, the computer would have to be on stage with me. (not cool) So the solution is get a M9 or M13 and have as many settings as I want. Then get a FBV shortboard to control these settings or save and get a SKRYDSTRUP SC1.

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:45:37 am »
I like Muscial Lite and I tried Musical pro on android for my metronome on my mobile.

I also use an online timer if I dont use the HTC sense one.
And www.metronomeonline.com is also a great place to get a free metronome

Get The Forum As A Mobile App