Author Topic: IM-160 • Intermediate Foundation 5 Consolidation  (Read 6454 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-160 • Intermediate Foundation 5 Consolidation
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:37:32 pm »
Questions and congratulations!! ;)

Lesson Link: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-160-FoundationConsolidation.php
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:03:23 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline BDC

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
  • Ex Scouse B'stard
Re: IM-160 • Intermediate Foundation 5 Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:51:30 pm »
It would be very helpful if there was some guidance on how to transition from the Intermediate course to the Style Modules and how to integrate them into our practice routine.  If we were to use this:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PC-502-IntermediatePractice.php
or this:
http://www.justinguitar.com/images/RS_images/PracRoutine-1hr.pdf

I would imagine we'd plug the Style Modules into the "Knowledge" section.
Thanks in advance for any help

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:40:04 pm »
The way I was planning to do it, was to mainly look at style modules i like and then just do them for 5mins a day.
Mastered it? replace it. I'll be needing to master bending for sure in style section, since it'll take me another 2 months b4 i'll get an electric.

I'll be aiming on 30-40mins a day to learn new stuff from justin.
For now i'm still in IM4 :)

Offline Telekaster

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:35:05 pm »
Hi Justin,

What is the picking action for the minor pent. melodic patterns?

Thanks.

Offline Oren

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 04:18:59 pm »
Hi...

I've been doing the intermediate course for awhile and feel almost ready to progress onto one of the style modules (after spending some time on the finger gym!).

But, one thing which bugs me is transcribing. Justin says that people completing the intermediate course should be able to transcribe simple songs.  I find this really difficult, there are quite a few mistakes etc. Can anyone give any more detail on what I should expect to be able to do in terms of transcribing before moving on? Or can anyone give me any tips/good songs to test my ability to move on or not??

It's not so difficult when it's chords on one of Justin's exercises, but when I try to transcribe a song with all the different layers going on it's really really tricky  :(

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...  ;)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 647
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 07:10:08 pm »
@ Oren

One thing I can say is that transcribing songs / chords is so much easier ... and I mean soooo much easier ... if you have learned a lot of songs and assimilated the chord structures.
Many many songs use the same chord progressions over and over again.
You will get a feel and an ear for what a song's progression is going to do if you have this inner knowledge.
My old adage
learn songs learn songs learn songs
is as much to do with gaining this inner knowledge as it is to do with building a repertoire / gaining chord change skills / improving techniques etc.

Have you learned many songs?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 09:16:12 pm »
Like close said, learn a lot of songs.  Take the songs from Justins course and try to work them out before you watch his lesson.  Give it a shot, then learn the song from Justin.  At first just trying makes you better.

But also try to find the bits that stick out in a song.  That are right on top.  Main riffs are good for this.  Even if it is not guitar.  Figuring out whatever bits you can helps you get better.

Example from a song I have been working on.  Try to work keyboard melody front the first 20 or 25 seconds of the song.  It's on top of the mix, it repeats the cycle a few times, it is in an even rhythm, and isn't so fast to play that it is hard to chec yourself.  Note the song as a whole is somewhat difficult so I am not saying go transcribe the whole thing, but that little piece of it lends itself to transcription.
https://youtu.be/AtzIWPeun7c

Try to find bits and pieces like this where ever you can.

Classic rock riffs are a good thing to pick at.

Eventually as you improve you will be able to work out more and more difficult stuff.  In the beginning it is okay to work out the main riff kind of stuff, but avoid the trap of settling for that.  As you improve try to dig out more and more.

Also don't be afraid to check yourself against tabs or youtube videos - but remember to be as critical of their transcriptions as you are with yours.  I do this all the time, sometimes I think they are right, sometimes I think I am right... sometimes I end up just using something that works.  And sometimes way later I watch a video that give me that aha moment.

Shadow
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:44:24 pm by shadowscott007 »
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Oren

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 10:25:42 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys

@close2u I've learnt say 10-12 songs really well since I first began playing around 18 months ago. Around the same amount again I've picked at, learned bits of, just riffs etc. but not mastered if you see what I mean. I prefer to pick a song and really get it nailed down rather than learn 4 songs more basically, is this a good way to do it?

@shadowscott thanks for the tip about how to have a go before using Justin's lessons. Definitely going to do that!

Should I just move on to one of the style modules and accept that over time this will get easier as I learn more songs etc? Should I not be fixated on ticking this box on Justin's checklist as 110 percent ready? Or, is it key to be able to transcribe some songs to do these more advanced modules anyway?

Ty ty!

Offline Oren

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 07:01:03 pm »
Update,...

I had a go at what I thought was an easy one again this afternoon: Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes, and successfully managed to do the riff and the G and A in the lead up to the chorus :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 647
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 08:16:32 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys

@close2u I've learnt say 10-12 songs really well since I first began playing around 18 months ago.

Oh boy, that's not many.
Truly, after 18 months and going through beginner & intermediate courses, you should have over 50 songs under your belt imho.
The beginner songbook has ten songs per stage so there are 100.
Then all the many song lessons on the site for intermediate must be 100 more.
Learn songs learn songs learn songs.
That is the whole point surely.
Dozens and dozens of them.
Even if they are not to your taste.
Especially if they are not to your taste - you are more likely to notice and learn something different in those.
My advice... Don't move to style modules yet. I would not agree with you classing yourself as an intermediate player ... No offence intended, only helpful guidance.
Unless and until you know songs aplenty then don't move forwards, upwards.
Spend time consolidating and building a broad and stable platform for the next stages of your development.

Offline Oren

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 02:13:33 pm »
Thanks for the advice...

On reading this I thought, I can't have learnt that few... it can't be that bad and decided to go through the song pages on the site adding up the songs I'd learnt (I was just having a mental estimate before).  After doing this I count 38 songs that I have learnt since starting playing.  I was quite far off with my initial guess!!

My number of 10-12 is songs I've spent ages mastering.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I'd say that that many I'd feel comfortable performing in front of people.  All of the other songs I can certainly play through at home blah blah blah without issue...and have learnt over the course of a week or so before moving on. 

Would you still recommend learning a good few more...getting much nearer the 100 mark before moving on?  I'm not against the idea, I like learning songs!

Thanks

Offline Oren

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 04:16:23 pm »
Update, ... I've thought of another 5 since I've posted this.  Songs that aren't in songbooks but for which lessons have been posted more recently ie. last 6 months or so.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App