Author Topic: IM-155 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 5  (Read 7803 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:12:24 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

johnmimi18

Re: IM-155 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 5-Lesson Request TRIPLETTS
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:43:20 pm »
Hi Justin,

nice Rhythm video, really liked it and understand it.
But also, it would be cool, if you upload a video of how to play quarter, half, etc. triplets. because it's really difficult for me to get the right timing...maybe i don't know how to count this things. If you would made a video, it 'd be great.

Hope you'll answer.
Greetings
R

P.S. sorry for my English, but I'm a guy from Germany^^. Hope you understand this post. 

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: IM-155 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 5
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:58:57 pm »
I've been really struggling to get my chip to sound clean. If I use the muting techniques that Justin suggests I find I get really bad fret-buzz (due to having to stretch my hand into awkward positions) and/or get strings 5 and 6 ringing out.

Is there any reason I can't just use my right hand to mute the whole six strings? I've started doing a count of "1 - 2and - 3 - 4and", with the "ands" being the mute. I also lift my left hand as in Justin's video.

It sounds just fine. Is there a reason why I shouldn't do it?

Thanks.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:09:06 pm »
Basically: if it sounds good, it is good.

However...

Stopping the strings with your strumming hand can make you a little too slow for faster rhythms, and it sounds a little different.

Like Justing explains, you would mostly play chips with barre chords, and that makes it pretty easy - you simply relax your fretting hand. It takes a little practice, of course, but it becomes insctinctual pretty quick. For me it works best when I don't try to think about it, and just let my hand do it.

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:15 pm »
Thanks for that. I'm fairly ok with a full barre chord - lifting the left hand works just fine. But it's those new "half" barre chords that I struggle with the muting for.

I guess I'll try incorporating it into a few songs and see how it sounds.

Thanks.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:31:23 pm »
For the triad shapes (or any kind of mini-barre-chord), you can do both. Use your left hand to mute the fretted strings, use your right hand to (permanently) mute the lower strings. It takes a little getting used to, but need to keep them from ringing anyway, chips or not.

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:22:06 am »
Thanks. Tonight I'll be practising using my right hand mutes when playing triads.

It's something I've neglected to be honest. I took Justin too seriously when he said "don't sweat the muting".

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:09 am »
You can also use your pinky of your fretting hand, if you're not using that to fret the chord.

Check out Stevie Ray Vaughan playing Pride and Joy and you'll see it pretty much the whole song (ok, he used a few fingers I think) - he's playing an open A triad on the upstrokes.

Pretty much anything that works. A studio trick lead guitar players will do when playing a solo (or even a whole song) that doesn't have any open strings is to tie a sock around the neck of the guitar (no, I'm not kidding).
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Nycoh

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:25:08 pm »
Hi guys, i need some help with the mini-barre chords, i have no problem playing them if i mute the 6th string with my strumig hand, but it just seem imposible to make the mini barre work when i mute that 6th string with my thumb

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 12:15:45 pm »
Hi guys, i need some help with the mini-barre chords, i have no problem playing them if i mute the 6th string with my strumig hand, but it just seem imposible to make the mini barre work when i mute that 6th string with my thumb
You may want to read post sentence one more time ;)

Guessing at what you mean: mini-barre and muting with the thumb is mostly about the hand position. With the thumb over the neck, you need to find another way to counter the pressure from the fingers. I mostly use the base of my thumb (sort of) to get it done. Experiment with different posisions. There's no perfect way here, since it depends on both your hand and your guitar.

Btw: in some situations I don't bother with the thumb, e.g. playing an open Dmaj7 mini-barre (xx0222). I barre with my index finger and use my ring finger to mute strings 5 & 6.

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 07:27:23 pm »
Just to confirm: the G, Gmin, C, Cmin, etc chords Justin shows in the video at 6:27 are the triads from lesson 151?

If so, shouldn't the thin E string be muted when playing the G?  It appeared that it was being played in the video.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 07:47:24 pm »
He's not playing Triads he's playing what is sometimes called mini barre chords.
Here's playing the thinnest 4 strings and leaving the E and A string untouched.

From 4:30 on he explains the chord grip. Have fun mini barre chords will open up a whole new
way of looking at playing your guitar.

Offline NDN-Intrmd

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 04:47:57 pm »
Thank you justin

Sent from my Z981 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App