Author Topic: IM-154 • Technique: Legato Scale Playing  (Read 8686 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-154 • Technique: Legato Scale Playing
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:28:41 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:10:05 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

silentassasin107

Re: IM-154 • Technique: Legato Scale Playing
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:32 pm »
hey justin, first of all thanks for the lessons, they are really great.

i was trying out legato scale practice i figured a problem i am having. i use an acoustic guitar and the legatos, especially the hammer-ons, doesnt really sound very loud. Is this because i am doing something wrong or is its just because the isnt actually being digitally amplified by an amplifier? In the video you use a electric so i was just wondering if it would sound better only in electric guitars or atleast with an amplifier in case of acoustic gutiars.

Offline Telekaster

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:25:57 am »
Hi Justin, I think that Andy Summers used a legato technique on the solo of 'So Lonely' at 2min 43s.   But how the *&%@ is he doing it?   I'm an exponent of your JUSTIN method, but my transcription of this solo has been stuck (for years) at 2min43.  Even using Transcribe software, slowed down to snail pace I still can't work it out. Aaaaargh.....   Please help!

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:03:33 pm »
.. i was just wondering if it would sound better only in electric guitars or atleast with an amplifier in case of acoustic gutiars.

In my own experience its really hard to make the sound of a HO the same as a strum or PO on acoustic.
At friends (I didnt have an electric back then) I noticed that it really helps to have an amp indeed, I was pressing just as hard (or maybe even less hard) and the note sounded just as loud.

Have an electric since a short while, and also noticed HO's are easier and better to hear on an electric (in my experience).

ash1um

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »
Hey,

I'm having no problem with the left hand in this exercise but am unsure how to pick with the right hand. Is alternate picking the best option or doesn't it matter too much?

Thanks
Ash

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 02:31:18 pm »
@Ash: Hmm.. I did this with all down strums, because I was focussing on doing the HO/PO's just right. But I guess alternate picking would be an extra training, but it would (in my case) divide my attention a little bit.

I do the spider exercise anyways to work on my alternate strumming (besides the usual scale alternates).

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 03:42:10 pm »
Is it futile to do pull-offs without putting the finger flat that you pull-off to?

It's rather impossible to cleanly pull-off to the open string when the finger is lying flatter.

If you're wondering why - I'm practicing Celtic rolls.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline Blaze

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:21:55 pm »
Am I the only one who has terrible trouble playing the scales with legato?  :-\ I'm trying to play them on my (cheap) acoustic, and whilst I can sort of play the minor pentatonic, my major scale (especially the flick-off's involving the pinky on the thicker strings) is pretty bad.

I'll keep persevering, but I do wonder if the combination of playing on an acoustic as well as the quality of the instrument is what's holding me back; I really can't ever see myself playing the major scale with perfectly clean legato - on this instrument anyway.

I hate to blame the instrument, but idk, this really does seem all but impossible to pull off.  :(
lalalala Goodbye Days~

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 01:18:56 pm »
Yes, it is difficult.  You might want to try the finger gym exercise first.  http://justinguitar.com/en/TE-001-FingerGym.php  It will help build up your finger strength, especially the pinky.  Perhaps it will "ease" you into playing the hammer-ons and flick-offs.

In any event, you should spend a few bucks and get your acoustic set-up properly.  Even a cheap instrument will benefit from being properly set-up.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:45:18 pm »
I attempted the legato a month ago, but was unhappy with my performance, so have been doing the Three Note Per String scale with a metronome to get the strengtha nd flexibility etc up to scratch before returning to the legato approach. This might help you too.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 05:42:04 pm »
Oh boy, this is a real pickle this one...

Especially on an acoustic, trying to get your pinky to hammer on and create much volume is a real challenge.  Then ensuring you are alternate picking is another layer on the cake, guess that will have to wait a bit.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline Picklz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 06:24:44 pm »
Hi all, would anything Justin's saying in the video change for plain acoustic guitar? Thanks.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 12:39:20 am »
Hmm I don't think it would, I would say there are two main differences:

- on acoustic to get a really nicely sounding legato you need a lot of strength in your fingers. If we are talking here purely about acoustic without amp then the main issue is you can't put high gain on your guitar which means LOTS of strength, especially that on acoustics you also usually have thicker strings.

- the higher you are on the neck the more difficult it is going to get the proper legato, in my ears sound is less bright even if you pick individual notes if you compare being on 12+ fret vs 12-. So if legato it's gonna become ever more challenging.

Personally I would say stick to electric if you are going to play legato, gain is your friend here :)

Keep on rockin' my friends

Get The Forum As A Mobile App