Author Topic: IM-151 • Triad Chord Grips  (Read 22331 times)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: IM-151 • Triad Chord Grips
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 10:24:33 am »
@sairfingers, @Toby

Just a little reminder of this thread ... triads, chord tones, scales, caged shapes, improv etc.

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=44991.0

Hey a lot has happened since March last year  ;D a year older and more forgetful for sure and too many distractions. Very grateful as it was that kind of direction I was heading. Work on my fingers knowing the triad shapes/positions/inversions intuitively and not just my mental image of yellow box scales !! Then apply that to soloing/impro being the next stage.

Thanks for the nudge Richard, looks like a lot has been added to it since I last dipped my toe in. So will settle down for a long read later. But at least now I have bookmarked the thread. 

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2020, 03:53:51 pm »
Thanks Toby and Richard for all the info and links. Much appreciated. A bit of overload for me at the moment as I’ve only just started trying out triads. I’m trying to fit some of the easier ones into my songs and alternate open chords, barre chords and triads into them. It’s good fun, great practice and I can enjoy playing songs at the same time which is what I like best.

I’ll get back to your stuff once I’m a bit more confident about the basics. One of the things I’m finding difficult is muting the unwanted strings. Justin says to use the edge/heel of your strumming hand but it’s hard to do that and strum at the same time.

Gordon
Justin’s BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2020, 05:06:45 pm »
Lightbulb 💡 moment. The Major triad 1 is simply the high 3 strings of the equivalent barre chord!
Justin’s BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 209
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2020, 05:29:51 pm »
All triads are 3 strings of a barre chord. If you look at the B G and D strings of an
A chord that is the A shaped triad on those 3.strings.
This is what the whole CAGED system is.
It works with every barre chord anywhere on the neck.

I recommed you start with the E and A shaped barre chords first on the e B and G
Strings. Double stops work the same way. If you go back to Closes post on double
stop thirds and add the 5th you will have triads.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2020, 10:06:28 pm »
Thanks stitch. This is all fascinating stuff!

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2020, 01:35:31 pm »
This has really shown up the weaknesses in my fretboard knowledge. Strings 1,5,6 are perfect due to my E and A barre chord knowledge, however strings 2,3,4 are not so good!

On the positive side, learning to play triad shapes is a fun way to learn the fretboard notes. I’ve got Justin’s fretboard note trainer app which is good, but I find it hard to visually and mentally translate the small screen fretboard to the full size thing when playing.
The different fretboard markings on my acoustic and electric don’t help either although I know I should only be looking at the little markers on the top edge which are the same.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2020, 11:31:53 pm »
Sairfingers

If you know the theory behind the chords and can find the root note its not that difficult. I'll dig out some diagrams tomorrow as its getting late but knowing the relative position of chord intervals makes things so much easier. Many moons ago Stitch put up some scale boxes from Fretjam.com that showed the CAGED scales in INTERVALs not the usual "what fingers to use" that is the common depiction of scales. And this really opened my eyes. And if I know the theory behind a chord and which intervals are needed to construct it I can easily visualise where they are.

So if you know a major chord is I III V or a minor is I IIIB V, those interval diagrams show that V is always on top of the I/Root and III is always 1 string down one fret back (and the IV is always below the I/root great for 12BB ie equals from root drop a string in same fret for IV then go up two frets/two semi tones for V)) so therefore for minors IIIB is one down two back. Ok you have to adjust for the B string but knowing where there intervals are relative to the root makes finding chords so much easier.

If you understand that theoretical approach to chord construction the Stitch Yellow Box diagrams I bang on about make it so much easier to see and understand how triads are constructed across any group of three strings. And across more than 3 strings for open triads.

Cheers

Toby
 8) 

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2020, 08:18:43 am »
Gordon hope this help you visualise the triads. Although this is just the E shape major scale, the positional relationship applies to the other 4 shapes.

https://imgur.com/a/i7p3rFZ

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2020, 09:13:45 am »
Thanks Toby, that diagram is really helpful. I’m making some progress with triads and like everything else, it’s more practice and study that’s required!

The thing I’m not so keen on at the moment is mixing them in with barre and open chords in songs. I’ve been trying this (and of course it’s a good way to learn triads and their relationship) but because they are played on 3 strings they sound ‘thin’ compared to the other chords. I suppose they should really be played as a second guitar along with another guitar playing full chords and the overall effect would be good.
My project this week is to create some some full chord progression loops and then play along using triads.

As an aside, I hope all good with you over in France. We normally take our caravan to France for 3 or 4 weeks in the summer. Not this year! Hopefully by next year things will be back to normal.

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 209
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2020, 04:04:32 pm »
Triads and double stops arebest used as fills and rhythm/lead playing.
Margaritaville is a good example of triads. Drift Away is a good example of
double stops.
Doing a loop of a song is a great Idea to practice both triads and double stops.
I keep using both as an example because they are the same shape and are used
in pretty much the same way.

Once you see how scales, chords, diads, triads, double stops all are smaller versions
of each other thing open up all over the neck.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
    • YouTube
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2020, 04:17:31 pm »
This has really shown up the weaknesses in my fretboard knowledge. Strings 1,5,6 are perfect due to my E and A barre chord knowledge, however strings 2,3,4 are not so good!

On the positive side, learning to play triad shapes is a fun way to learn the fretboard notes. I’ve got Justin’s fretboard note trainer app which is good, but I find it hard to visually and mentally translate the small screen fretboard to the full size thing when playing.
The different fretboard markings on my acoustic and electric don’t help either although I know I should only be looking at the little markers on the top edge which are the same.
Continue on with whatever courseware you are using now if it is working for you. There are a couple of 5-10 minute games that I play to stay fresh on the fret board:
1. Find all the notes: Pick a note and then locate and play every instance of that note on the fret board.
2. Loop a progression: Lay down a chord or progression in the looper and now play as many chord voices, triads, etc, as you can as an accompaniment.
Note: #1 helps with #2 and opens up scales and just about everything else. Once you know the notes you can practically build the triads, scales, etc, that go along with them on the fly. It doesn't come overnight.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2020, 10:45:23 am »
Thanks for all your input on this subject guys, much appreciated.

I’ve just stumbled on another way of learning fretboard notes (this may be obvious to everyone else but I hadn’t thought of it). If I leave my clip on tuner on the guitar while playing, I can play an individual note and a glance at the tuner tells me if I’m correct. Also picking out the individual notes in chords the tuner identifies the notes within that chord.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App