Author Topic: IM-151 • Triad Chord Grips  (Read 20996 times)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
    • YouTube
Re: IM-151 • Triad Chord Grips
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2020, 04:17:31 pm »
This has really shown up the weaknesses in my fretboard knowledge. Strings 1,5,6 are perfect due to my E and A barre chord knowledge, however strings 2,3,4 are not so good!

On the positive side, learning to play triad shapes is a fun way to learn the fretboard notes. I’ve got Justin’s fretboard note trainer app which is good, but I find it hard to visually and mentally translate the small screen fretboard to the full size thing when playing.
The different fretboard markings on my acoustic and electric don’t help either although I know I should only be looking at the little markers on the top edge which are the same.
Continue on with whatever courseware you are using now if it is working for you. There are a couple of 5-10 minute games that I play to stay fresh on the fret board:
1. Find all the notes: Pick a note and then locate and play every instance of that note on the fret board.
2. Loop a progression: Lay down a chord or progression in the looper and now play as many chord voices, triads, etc, as you can as an accompaniment.
Note: #1 helps with #2 and opens up scales and just about everything else. Once you know the notes you can practically build the triads, scales, etc, that go along with them on the fly. It doesn't come overnight.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
Re: IM-151 • Triad Chord Grips
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2020, 10:45:23 am »
Thanks for all your input on this subject guys, much appreciated.

I’ve just stumbled on another way of learning fretboard notes (this may be obvious to everyone else but I hadn’t thought of it). If I leave my clip on tuner on the guitar while playing, I can play an individual note and a glance at the tuner tells me if I’m correct. Also picking out the individual notes in chords the tuner identifies the notes within that chord.
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App