Author Topic: IM-151 • Triad Chord Grips  (Read 15297 times)

Offline Litzout

• Good Vibes 0
Re: IM-151 • Triad Chord Grips
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 06:16:43 pm »
crlozano12, you are probably not struggling with this any longer as I am writing this several months after your last post.  But I was having exactly the same issue as you:  I could only get the shape 1 major triad correct if I used my 1st and 3rd fingers rather than 1st and 2nd that Justin recommends.  The B string was always muted.  But I eventually figured out what I was doing wrong, so I am posting this in case anyone else comes along and has the same issue. 

I figured out that I was barring the wrong way with my first finger.  I was initially rolling my first finger a bit toward the fret and toward my middle finger.  This closed down my grip and put my 3rd finger in a better position than my 2nd finger to fret the G string.  Eventually I figured out that I needed to roll my 1st finger the other way: away from the fret and toward my thumb.  This opened up my grip and allowed me to get the 2nd finger placed properly on the G string. 

Offline ntha

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 03:17:33 pm »
I have just finished this lesson.

I'm not sure it was mentioned but IMO it is recommended taking this lesson after going through the "Practical Music Theory" and "Chord Construction Guide" books. I did and it is very helpful.

Offline milo52

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 04:12:26 am »
What is the fingering for the A shape triad on the 2-3-4 strings?   If I use the fingering taught by Justin for the open A chord, I have trouble fitting my fingers in the higher,smaller frets.  Using the second,third and fourth fingers is better but not great.  Is barring the three strings recommended?

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 07:27:08 am »
What is the fingering for the A shape triad on the 2-3-4 strings?   If I use the fingering taught by Justin for the open A chord, I have trouble fitting my fingers in the higher,smaller frets.  Using the second,third and fourth fingers is better but not great.  Is barring the three strings recommended?

For that particular triad I usually bar the strings, but it depends on where I come from on the neck or where I am going to next.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline jtbrown1

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 06:27:23 pm »
For that particular triad I usually bar the strings, but it depends on where I come from on the neck or where I am going to next.
I bar the three strings with my index finger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 07:59:17 pm »
I bar the three strings with my index finger.

You can also use your ring finger. Again, it depends on how/what you are playing before and after that particular chord.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2018, 01:04:01 pm »
I've just seen the old "I shot the sheriff" videos that Justin did as a good song to play with triads. I've been struggling with these a bit. I know them and i want to use them more as i think its a good way to learn the fret board, but I've been having a hard time putting them into practice. I've tried applying them to some songs I know but they don't sound great. Has anyone got any suggestions for songs to try with triads both on strings 1,2,3 and 2,3,4.
Thanks
G

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 03:15:22 pm »
@ Garfield

Triads came up in a recent jazz video Justin did.
The advice given there was start with one shape and stick with it through a chord progression, even if this involves big movements along the neck.
To use it in a meaningful way along the lines you are thinking, you need to know the major and minor triad shapes.

For any song you know, literally any, that involves only major and minor chords, play arpeggiated triads on three strings only, up and down the neck, using only one shape for major and one for minor.
Let's say you know a song:
Verse: C. G. Am F
Chorus: C. F. G
etc

Play along with it with arpeggiated triads.
Assuming the rhythm is 4/4 play four notes per bar.
Choose a picking pattern and stick to it at first.
Perhaps lowest note to highest (=3) then back down one note.
Later you may want to vary it.
Maybe targeting the root note (if it isn't the lowest note of the triad shape) first.
Use all the same shape for major chords and the related shape for minor chords.

Repeat for a different triad shape on the same strings.
You should be able to follow je three shapes for any group of three adjacent strings.
Once this becomes comfortable stretch yourself by trying to mix and match triad shapes to go along with the progression but without moving so far along the he neck.

If you start with strings 1,2 and 3 then move to strings 2,3 and 4.

After which you should have six major and six minor shapes.
This will allow you to play along with the chord progression with very little lateral movement along the neck.

Rinse and repeat for other chords in other keys.

Try this with lots of songs that you already know.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2018, 06:02:23 pm »
Mararitaville by Jimmy Buffett. You can play the whole song using triads.
It's easy to play along with the record and good practices using all the different
shapes. Watch live versions on youtube and play along with the steel drums

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2018, 08:45:29 pm »
Thanks guys. I get what I should be doing from the vids, it just doesn't seem to be sounding very good with the songs I know. I'll try apegiating them as up till know I've been strumming. I'm going to start I shot the sheriff tonight as that looked loads of fun in the video. Margaritaville is a good shout as well. I guess I was wondering if there are songs or genres of music that use triads a lot. It seems it they work well for reggae.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2018, 08:49:18 pm »
I also use the backing tracks from the blues rhythm course. I find it easier as there are only three chords each time.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2018, 09:10:07 pm »
Just did a search and found this as result 1 …

it has all the diagrams on all adjacent string sets for major and minor triads …
it has suggestions for how to practice …
it has some cool sound samples …

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2018, 09:57:12 pm »
Thanks close that is useful. Good tip jono I've got some of Justin's blues backing tracks I might try coming along to them as you say they're just three chords.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App