Author Topic: IM-149 • Intermediate Foundation 4 Practice Schedule  (Read 6900 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:10:27 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
Re: IM-149 • Intermediate Foundation 4 Practice Schedule
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 04:43:52 pm »

One of the goals says, "Be able to play the the string skipping exercise accurately at about 60 bpm".

Did I sleep through the string skipping exercise  ???
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

KasperDK

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:04:20 pm »
@ sophiehiker
I believe it should have been in foundation 5. In IM-156 he talks about it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:07:24 am by close2u »

zjuanpablo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:46:36 am »
I think he wanted to say " "Be able to play the the string bending exercise accurately at about 60 bpm"

It makes more sense, no?

Offline maxime.dubois

• Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 02:14:39 pm »
Playing string bending with a metronome does not make much more sense to me...

I'd replace it with "Be able to play the goal skipping exercise accurately at about 60 bpm".
Done. I can skip it even much faster! ;)

Offline realmadrid0705

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 08:42:03 pm »
Am I supposed to continue with the string muting exercise from IM3? In the original string muting video Justin said to do it 5 minutes a day and not worry about it otherwise, and that eventually it would happen naturally. I've not yet reached that stage but am comfortable with everything else on IM3. Should I keep the string muting in my practice routine?

Thanks.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:43:38 pm »
I think you answered your own question, but yes.

Assuming you want it to become automatic anyway.  Also you may want to keep it in mind whenever you are doing anything where it is relevant.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline KevinMG

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 01:32:18 pm »
Hi

I'm new to the forum but have been working through Justin's lessons online for some time. I'm ready (I think) to go on to IM-5 but I have a question about the backbeat muting technique Justin lists as one of the criteria to master before moving on. Is this technique only really used in an acoustic/folk context? I don't have an acoustic guitar so I've tried it on an electric guitar: I'm now worried I'll damage the pickups with all the practice!?

Any views gratefully received!

thanks

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »
Hi

I'm new to the forum but have been working through Justin's lessons online for some time. I'm ready (I think) to go on to IM-5 but I have a question about the backbeat muting technique Justin lists as one of the criteria to master before moving on. Is this technique only really used in an acoustic/folk context? I don't have an acoustic guitar so I've tried it on an electric guitar: I'm now worried I'll damage the pickups with all the practice!?

Any views gratefully received!

thanks

If you don't understand why palm muting is a useful technique on electric guitar you may need to review your progress.

As for damaging your pickups. What are you muting the strings with, a hammer? You don't have to slam them down into the guitar's body :)

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline KevinMG

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:37:58 pm »
Hi

Perhaps I got the terminology wrong. I read Justin's reference to "backbeat muting" as referring to the percussive accentuation technique that mimics a snare drum sound hat he discusses here: see IM-145-Rhythm16-4.php.

This seems to be quite different to what is described in the palm muting/rhythm lesson here: BC-192-PowerChordPalmMute.php.

With the IM-145 technique it's a combination of palm and pick with the outside edge of the palm hitting the strings 3/4 inches away from the bridge and hard enough to create a percussive "click" on the frets. To achieve this, my strings are also hitting the pickups. I ask about the "acoustic" angle because Justin uses an acoustic guitar in the video and he describes its usefulness in an acoustic setting.

I sort of assume I need to constantly review my progress but this just doesn't feel right on an electric guitar but of course I'm possibly doing it wrong

cheers

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 11:19:21 pm »
I normally rely more on a heavy palm mute, and use the pick to make the sound, so I'm not hitting the string quite so hard on the electric, but I wouldn't let a single item hold you back from moving on to the next stage.

As long as you are aware of anything that you feel you're not quite competent enough on, and continue to work on it, I wouldn't feel a one or two techniques was enough to not move on, provided they're not essential for anything in the next stage.

Offline KevinMG

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 02:07:15 pm »
Thanks for the tip and the encouragement m_c. Onwards!

Offline Gregg Hermetech

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Mastering Engineer
    • Hermetech Mastering
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 12:15:07 pm »
I am also wondering about this:

"Be able to play the the string skipping exercise accurately at about 60 bpm (prefer with a metronome!)"

How can I move on to stage 5 if I don't know how to do this exercise? ;)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 12:53:06 am »
IM-156 has a string skipping exercise in the second part, but that's Stage 5 and not Stage 4 - so now I'm wondering too! (I am currently working on Stage 4.) One of the comments above also suggests IM-156 though.
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App