Author Topic: IM-141 • A Shape Min, Dom and Min7 Chord Grips  (Read 10506 times)

Offline JayS

• Good Vibes 0
Re: IM-141 • A Shape Min, Dom and Min7 Chord Grips
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 10:29:45 pm »
I'm having problems with the Dom7. 

When the tip of my index finger touches the low E string, the crease of my index finger is directly over the G string.  That makes it hard to put pressure on the G string and it ends up getting muted.

Any suggestions?

I would like some further help on this myself. If I am playing the A-shaped barre eg C7 then, in my case, my joint crease also mutes the G string and I can see no way around this. I don't see that playing a full barre answers the problem because it causes the low E to be played which is wrong. I play barre chords with the side of my finger and this works well for E shaped and for a A-shaped minor chords. To change to use the flat of my finger does not seem right.. Any more suggestions?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 11:57:07 pm »
...To change to use the flat of my finger does not seem right.. Any more suggestions?

You just need to experiment a bit and find the right combination of "finger angle" (between side and flat); Exactly how far the barre finger is across the fretboard; and amount of curvature in your barre finger (it doesn't have to be bar-straight) that give you a good sounding chord in each case.

There isn't a single, fixed  position for all barre chords - it varies subtly depending on whether you're playing (for example) a major or minor chord - for A shape major or minor chords, you don't need to barre with your index finger at all - just fret the root note on the 5th string. For A shaped 7 chords, you do need a good barre, though.

It might seem daunting now, but it soon becomes second nature.

Offline Jokurr

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 01:14:05 am »
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I am REALLY struggling with these chord shapes. It's funny, Justin said the basic A major barre chord is tough yet I found that one really easy. Yet he says these ones should be easier yet I am finding them really tough. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or my hands/fingers/joints are just really weird or what?

The biggest problem I am having is with my ring finger blocking the G string on both the minor 7 and dom 7 shapes. I just cannot seem to get the finger tip angled in a way that doesn't block the G string. The only way I can get around this is if I let my index finger go across all strings like I were making an E shape barre chord, and just back off on pressure near the finger tip so the low E string doesn't ring out. This allows my ring finger to make a higher arch and less likely to block the G string. Same thing applies to my pinky finger blocking the high E string but it doesn't seem to be an issue as often.

Is this a bad habit? I know there is a chance that I'll let the low E string ring out which does sound pretty bad, but I can seem to adjust pressure in the barre much more easily than I can let the G string ring out if I try to play the barre with my index finger just touching the E string. Having my index finger in that position really lowers the arch that my other fingers can make.

PS - not sure if anyone is aware but the "Get help with this lesson" on IM-141 links to the thread for IM-142 instead of this one.

Offline Trio Erectus

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 09:17:45 pm »
The biggest problem I am having is with my ring finger blocking the G string on both the minor 7 and dom 7 shapes. I just cannot seem to get the finger tip angled in a way that doesn't block the G string. The only way I can get around this is if I let my index finger go across all strings like I were making an E shape barre chord, and just back off on pressure near the finger tip so the low E string doesn't ring out. This allows my ring finger to make a higher arch and less likely to block the G string. Same thing applies to my pinky finger blocking the high E string but it doesn't seem to be an issue as often.

Did you find a solution to this problem yet? Just curious, since I seem to be having the exact same issues as you.

The 'A Shape Dominant 7th Barre Chord' just seems impossible to me. I have been trying to find a fingering that would allow the g string to ring clear for two days now without success. If I bar it from the fifth string up, like instructed, my ring finger won't curl enough and ends up muting the g string.

To get my pinky and ring finger to curl up properly and leave enough room for the g string, I have to do a full bar and have the tip of my index finger really stick out above the neck. And then you have the issue of the fretted low e string.

This is super demoralizing. If anybody has any good pointers, I would appreciate it.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 07:01:19 pm »
Guys are you sure its the ring finger that's muting the G and not a problem with the barre ? I had a similar issue but found it was actually the barre. Try leaving the middle finger down and lifting the ring on the 7 and see the G is clean. Just a thought  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Trio Erectus

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 07:41:12 pm »
Guys are you sure its the ring finger that's muting the G and not a problem with the barre ? I had a similar issue but found it was actually the barre. Try leaving the middle finger down and lifting the ring on the 7 and see the G is clean. Just a thought  8)
Sure, getting a clean barre is part of the problem for me. But the ring finger muting the g string is definitely an issue as well. It just seems nigh impossible to get my hand positioned in a way that would give a clean barre, while muting the sixth string and not having the fourth finger touch the g string.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 08:05:21 am »
Try putting that ring finger down first and them add the others making fine adjustments, I'm sure you'll get there. Can you post pics so folk can see what your hand is doing, that may help identify the problem.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Trio Erectus

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 07:30:10 pm »
Try putting that ring finger down first and them add the others making fine adjustments, I'm sure you'll get there. Can you post pics so folk can see what your hand is doing, that may help identify the problem.  8)
If you don't mind me asking, when playing these types of chords, are your fingers parallel to the fretboard? I mean, my fingers tend to lean towards the nut when playing barre chords. So that it's more the side part of the fingertip that frets the strings and not the dead center of the tip. That makes it easier for me to play barre chords in the first few positions. But it doesn't work past fret 7 or so, as there is no extra room.

I'll see if I can upload a photo of this somewhere.

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 06:34:04 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I am REALLY struggling with these chord shapes. It's funny, Justin said the basic A major barre chord is tough yet I found that one really easy. Yet he says these ones should be easier yet I am finding them really tough. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or my hands/fingers/joints are just really weird or what?

Is this a bad habit? I know there is a chance that I'll let the low E string ring out which does sound pretty bad, but I can seem to adjust pressure in the barre much more easily than I can let the G string ring out if I try to play the barre with my index finger just touching the E string. Having my index finger in that position really lowers the arch that my other fingers can make.

PS - not sure if anyone is aware but the "Get help with this lesson" on IM-141 links to the thread for IM-142 instead of this one.

Not sure if this poster ever figured it out, but I am having a difficult time with the A shapes dom 7 and min 7; the ring finger is muting the G string so when I try to adjust the ring finger upwards away from the string to give it sufficient room to vibrate the index finger Bar lifts a bit so that the string sounds dull when hit.  No solution that works at fret 5 will also work on frets 1 and 10.  Only the c7 open chord gave me such a tough time.

I am only 2 days in so I will continue working on it at fret 5 and hoping it is just a time/practice issue.

As a side note, I think I've figured out Justin's methodology; he says in the lesson the opposite of whatever the difficulty of the chord is - he claimed the A-shape major is hard (it wasn't) but these are easy (they aren't).  A bit of Tasmanian reverse psychology, I see ;)

Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 09:50:55 pm »
I think of these A shape grips as essentially repeats if the E shape grips (except for the Dominant 7 one), so how did you get on with E7 grip? It's basically the same.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline mikec

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 08:04:48 pm »
Forming the minor seems relatively straight forward for me - just move the E-shape down one - and the minor 7 is ok - just lift the pinky - but changing to the dominant 7 my fingers get "confused"!  I have found it really helps to use my first finger as an anchor, ie essentially form the A minor shape but move my pinky down one string, this means the B string is essentially fretted twice (actually three times if you count the bar).  My question is whether this is really bad technique that will cause me problems later?   

Get The Forum As A Mobile App