Author Topic: IM-128 • JUSTIN Method Training Exercises  (Read 8768 times)

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
Re: IM-128 • JUSTIN Method Training Exercises
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 01:12:21 pm »
So I think that my real question is can a 1/4 note start in a bar at a 1/8 count (and) position?

Yes, it can.  However, the reason you might do it one way or another is to make it easy to read.  The way to make it easy to read is to show stuff happening on the beats; that is, show the 1,2,3,4 count in the bar.

So if it's a 1/4 note rest, you show a 1/4 rest on the beat.  If it's an 1/8 note rest on the beat, you show an 1/8 note rest on the beat. 

An 1/8 note on the beat followed by an 1/8 note rest is equivalent to a 1/4 note on the beat in percussive notation IMHO.  Since we've agreed that the percussive sounds have no duration.

That's my point of view and I'm sticking to it.   :P
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline RevolutionarySpirits

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 08:58:32 pm »
I agree this lesson is very confusing.  If a clap has no duration (is not a quarter note clap or an eighth note clap), there is no way to arrive at Justin's answers. 

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:11 am »
If anyone is still having a problem with this...

2C

On each exercise you count in 1 2 3 4 Then you have 4 bars, then that 4 bars repeats(no count in the second time)

The claps have no duration in that they simply occur either on a beat or on an &. You are only counting to 1/4 or 1/8 notes. You are not trying to figure out how long they sustain, you are trying to determine which beat they occur on. IOW, their sound starts on a beat or an & and that's what you try to determine.

The easiest way is to count 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &...  have a pencil and make a mark each time you hear a clap. Aftyer 4& STOP... Now you know how many claps are in the first bar. Do it again to be sure.

Now after knowing the exact number of claps count 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & and tap you hand on the beat or & and it should line up with the claps.

so for 2C#3  your first bar should be C(1) & 2 & 3 C(&) C(4) &  so you clap/tap on 1, the & of 3, and 4.

The following bar your will clap on the 1 & 2 & to start....

Don't confuse note durations with meter or time division. This exercise is to discern time division and where a sound occurs. Do not concern yourself with how long the note lasts.

A guitar note might sustain for 3 bars so you might concern yourself with that. But right now you are trying to determine when in time do these sounds start. On which beat do they start. Each clap starts on either 1 2 3 4 OR the & of any of those.. .1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &  8 possibilities or 1/8th note. 1 2 3 4 = 1/4 note resolution and using the &s makes it 1/8th note resolution.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App