Author Topic: IM-137 • Songs for Foundation 3  (Read 10048 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-137 • Songs for Foundation 3
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:41:29 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:13:10 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Kenny Andres

Re: IM-137 • Songs for Foundation 3
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:33:34 am »
I Have a suggestion for a song with A and E barre chords Pennyroyal tea from the unplugged (nirvana), is tune up half step down and it´s not too hard to transcribe uses major chords

I hope many of you have a go transcibing it

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:09:31 am »
Confetti by the Lemonheads uses mostly open chords, but with a B during the instrumental breaks. The strumming's quite fast, and it might be a good song to play if you want someone to kind of sort of get the hint that maybe things are going in a direction where maybe your relationship is strong enough to allow you to start seeing other people.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Bmwturbo

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:58 pm »
hey guys i was transcribing most of the songs in intermediate songs 3 sound like g c and d is it right or do i need to listen more i am transcribing get it on by t rex and jus hoping if i was rightr

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:18:41 pm »
And what song would you be talking about?

Offline jcb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:16:40 pm »
i fought the law.
think i can work out the chords for the main chorus / verse, but... 2 questions please!
1) would you proper players play this on open chords or barres?
2) any clues on the opening riff? one of the great ones, surely. in need of help!
thanks as ever!
jus

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:14 pm »
A bit of transcribing advice, please :)

I've just transcribed Bob Dylan's 'All Along The Watchtower' and got  | C#min   B | A           B | repeated. It sounds about right to me.

Reason I'm a little unsure is that after some transcribing I usually check in Justin's Beginners Songbook, Youtube or one of the many tab sites to double check my results. Anyway, in this case Justin as well as everyone else seems to be playing | Am     G | F      G | repeated and sounds nothing like the original. I'm guessing the different key is to make it easier to sing or avoid the barre chords.

Another reason I think I might be off with the C#min is Justin is asking to transcribe this song in Stage 3, yet we don't learn the A-shape minor chords until Stage 4.

My ears deceiving me? Thanks.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »
Did you transcribe from a Bob Dylan version, or one of the many covers?

In the song book, there's a note about capo position which implies that the original started on Am, Jimi Hendrix started on Cm, and U2 started on C#m, so you could well be right.

If you want conformation, post a link to the version you used and someone (well, me at least) can give a second opinion. :)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 09:47:39 pm »
According to Songsterr you've correctly transcribed it.
http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/bob-dylan-all-along-the-watchtower-chords-s61615

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:31:06 pm »
Did you transcribe from a Bob Dylan version, or one of the many covers?

In the song book, there's a note about capo position which implies that the original started on Am, Jimi Hendrix started on Cm, and U2 started on C#m, so you could well be right.

If you want conformation, post a link to the version you used and someone (well, me at least) can give a second opinion. :)

Cheers. It is Bob Dylan's version > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YanjY9CsPDQ. I have Justin's Beginner's songbook, with this in and it doesn't mention a capo. Just Am-G-F-G all way through. Obviously done to avoid all the barres.

According to Songsterr you've correctly transcribed it.
http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/bob-dylan-all-along-the-watchtower-chords-s61615

Ahh....I didn't see that one. Sounds like the original. Thanks a lot  :)
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 12:00:02 am »
Yup, I concur: C#m, B, A, B

In the 1st edition of the song book it says that you don't need a capo to play along with the original, but capo 3rd fret for JH or 4th fret for U2 in the "Hard chord changes" panel on page 121.

Trust your ears, though - they were right! :)

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 10:45:17 am »
@misterg

Yes, I see that bit about the capo now. Maybe my ears are better than my eyes  ::)

So, really, U2 played it in the same key as the original and Hendrix's version is a semitone down.

Offline BobK

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 01:46:41 pm »
In memory of Lou Reed, I'm learning Sweet Jane as my Foundation 3 song.  Only a few chords, but all barre chords -- both A shaped and E.  Great practice and it rocks.

Here's a video of Lou explaining how to play the riff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i48YSd-EPFo&list=PLpQaBq0-sW5xIR2H6m9Yz9m6BBXC1lGxl

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 09:25:27 am »
I'm doing T-Rex ' Bang a Gong'  from the Intermediate songs 3. It's an awesome song!

What I'm wondering is should I be able to do the whole song at this point? I figured out a couple Major chords in it, but the majority of the song seems to be a blues shuffle with a riff played on top of it. While I think I know where the shuffle and riff are played I'm struggling with them and don't think I will get them exactly.

Should I move to something else and come back to it at a later date?  I do love the song and would love to know how to play the whole thing.

Offline bo-jingle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:40 am »
Changing key sort of happens all the time.

It usually depends upon singer's or singers' preference(s) or the guitarists easy option choice
Keep on jangling!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App