Author Topic: IM-136 • Building Melodic Patterns  (Read 10364 times)

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: IM-136 • Building Melodic Patterns
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 05:19:17 pm »
Have to admit, I was not very happy with this exercise; felt it was not useful and while it might have been good for lead guitarists - which is not my goal, the time being invested was not paying/going to pay much back in dividends.

BUT...having decided to put more time/thought/effort into it, I am realizing the benefits, at least for me, are these:

1) it forces you to master the notes of the scale and eliminate them as something you need to think of.  My brain is simply not powerful enough to have to think what is the next note in the scale of this pattern while playing it - I can only concentrate on one thing, either the scale or the pattern - not both.

2) it will force your picking hand to improve in picking the proper strings as you go back and forth between them.  Do I make mistakes and pick the wrong strings?  Sure, but not as bad as when I began approaching this exercise.

3) it improves your ear where you can better judge the proper notes in the pattern and how they should sound.  Some patterns work better than others, but you still end up developing a better ear to judge how they sound, or should sound.  I just started the aural training lessons - better late than never - and will also start focusing more on the Justin ear training, which I admit I've spent less time on than the technical stuff. 

4) Your creativity in playing will improve as it forces you to think of the scale positions - I, IV, V, etc as you build a pattern and play through it.  As a next step, I might start including some of these patterns from Justin and those I created as part of the Improv Practice over a backing track.  A lot of Justin's exercises can be combined to improve your playing, and this I believe might also be a good one.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 06:14:17 pm »
A lot of Justin's exercises can be combined to improve your playing,

Just one correction.

All of Justin's exercises can be combined to improve your playing

For example When learning a new scale, riff, arpeggio etc combine it with the minimum movement
exercise. You need to learn it slowly any way. 

The one minute change isn't just for chord changes. When change patterns in a solo practice going
from one the the other then back get the movement between licks fluid and automatic.

Ear training is for everything you learn and should be the #1 thing you rely on when practicing
anything.

You can take everything taught in the BC and apply to everything you are learning and will learn
latter on.

I am realizing the benefits, at least for me
Good to see you've seen the light.  ;)

Offline jeff00

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 02:08:25 am »
When I try to play these patterns in reverse (high notes to low) there are certain note that sound particularly funny to me. For example in the G major scale I try doing the 1234 2345 etc starting on the high A string I play it like:

A G F# E
G F# E D
F# E D C       <------this C sounds bad
F# E D C      <-------this C also sounds bad

Now that I took the time to write it out I found a pattern of which sounds funny. The F# E D C pattern. It's weird because it sounds perfectly normal playing the pattern from low to high. I just sounds bad from high to low.

Am I getting the notes wrong? Are my ears out of tune? (I double checked an my guitar is in tune). Does this sound funny to anyone else?

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 05:55:46 pm »
I'm working on the patterns from this exercise as well, had just played them all through as part of my practice before I checked out the Forum. To my ears the C sounded fine. It could be though because when you start on the F# your ears might be thinking that's the key, not the G scale, and you'd expect to hear C# in that scale. However, you'd also get sharps on the D and the E! But, the sound not seeming right could I think just be because of the starting note.

Mari
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Offline coboy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 09:34:31 am »
Hi hello been working on this but not making any headway tried numbering the scale end up with more notes. When I try to create a pattern im lost ends up sounding terrible and forget how to back track where I was. I wonder what it is im missing here just cant figure it out.

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 02:55:26 am »
Hi coboy, are you having problems with all or some of the patterns? My best input I think would be to go slow. I was finding it challenging to work on alternate picking speed playing the scale up and down, then switching to melodic patterns. I slowed them all down and then i could play them, and start speeding them up.
Mari
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Offline coboy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 08:28:47 am »
Thanks for the reply Mari ill slow it down and keep working on it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App