Author Topic: IM-135 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 3  (Read 16807 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:13:52 pm by close2u »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Svenshinhan

Re: IM-135 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 3
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:03:14 pm »
Ok, so after roughly two and a half weeks of practicing stage 1 and 2 of the intermediate course (plus the barre chords from stage 3), I feel just about ready to move on to stage 3 fully. Got everything else nice and smooth.

I had some problems with the rhythm guitar in stage 2 (foot tapping and the accents on every third note), but I grasped it after a few days of struggling and now it just feels natural.

So I looked at the stage 3 rhythm guitar part, and I found it nigh on impossible to play just using the sheet on the site. I understood the rhythm, but it was hard to play. So I watched the vid, listened to Justin play it and gave it another go, and I got it right off the bat, foot tapping included.

The first 5 minutes I still slipped up occasionally, but as long as I'm only playing and foot tapping, I can now do it comfortably. But only if I DO NOT count the beats (1 e & a 2 e & a, and so on). If I start counting like that, I lose all sense of what I'm doing. In the last stage it actually helped, now it seems a hindrance.

Does it matter much if I can just play the rhythm and grasp it naturally, or should I try to force my mind to understand it as well as my body seems to?

Edit: I guess the reason I'm asking this is because while I seem to learn everything else at my "normal" pace (which is already fast), the rhythm parts I've never really had to think about much. I just don't want to learn this "the wrong way" or what have you.

Gazrovers

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:01:13 pm »
Does anyone know any songs that include this strumming pattern? Thanks :)

zbe

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:37:17 pm »
Does anyone know any songs that include this strumming pattern? Thanks :)

I think Natalie Imbrughlia's Torn has it.

Re, zbe.

fosterjam14

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 07:15:30 pm »
You would think if I can walk and chew gum at the same time I should be able to tap my foot with this rhythm pattern but I'm really having a tough time of it.  Any suggestions?  Or is this just a normal learning process.
Also isn't the main goal of these exercises to get the patterns into our head, so at some point I'll not have to count out the 1-e-&-a...'s.  Last but not least a very great lesson I do my best to promote this site to others that have an interest in this fantastic instrument.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:58:07 pm »
You would think if I can walk and chew gum at the same time I should be able to tap my foot with this rhythm pattern...

;D

Stick with it, and take it slowly - with me is suddenly clicked.

What really helped is to do foot tapping and 16th note strumming without any accents whatsoever (which I found quite hard!). It seemed to break the link I had made between a foot stomp and an heavy strum.

Yes, ultimately, the pattern is in your head and ears, and the control is in your hands so you don't need to count, but you still need to be aware of what's behind it (IMHO).

HTH

Andy

Offline filiped

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 09:42:43 pm »
now a pretty rubish question :)

Can I tap my foot just on the beat? I mean, do I need to suspend my foot in the air on the "1 (raise foot)  e & a 2 (tap), 3 (raise foot)  e & a 4 (tap). Or is it ok to 1 e & a (raise foot) 2 (tap),  2 e & a (raise foot) 3 (tap) ?

thank you xP

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 10:03:40 pm »
I guess it depends on how fast your rhythm is. Most songs there wouldn't be enough time to suspend
your foot. More like 1(tap) e(start raising foot) &(foot raised) a(start downward) 2(tap). So tap on beat
lift and lower on the e&a and tap on beat repeat.

Offline filiped

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 11:31:53 pm »
ye, im on the right path .

if I slow down the song the foot will automatically raise sooner

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 12:02:51 am »
now a pretty rubish question :)

Can I tap my foot just on the beat? I mean, do I need to suspend my foot in the air on the "1 (raise foot)  e & a 2 (tap), 3 (raise foot)  e & a 4 (tap). Or is it ok to 1 e & a (raise foot) 2 (tap),  2 e & a (raise foot) 3 (tap) ?

thank you xP

don't raise your foot on the 1. Your foot hits the floor on the big beats 1 2 3 4

Some people can keep the other beats with other foot or some other body mechanism like their head, hips, or even breath.

Usually if you nail the 1 2 3 4 the other stuff happens automatically.
Gone

Offline filiped

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 12:24:02 am »

dont think I made myself clear, I always tap on 1,2,3,4 = )
Do you think I should master the foot first, before doing it with the head? lol , so much retard questions :P

and thanks for your time
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:59:30 am by close2u »

Offline Oddo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 05:06:32 pm »
When practising with the metronome is it necessary to tap your foot on every beat or you can tap only on beats 1,2,4 since you are not playing the third anyway?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 05:51:49 pm »
I wouldn't do that if I were you. The foot is there among other things to keep you from skipping or shortening beats you're nor playing. Use your foot to anker the beat firmly (your own personal drummer). Also, in time this concept of "not playing that beat" will pretty much evaporate, since you'll probably be playing rhythm as you go along, not always following fixed patterns.

Offline mmmbert

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 07:42:09 pm »
Think of it this way. The goal is to turn the metronome off.

Offline redghost

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 04:52:13 pm »
hey guys, awesome lesson, just as usual :)

just a short question:
i actualy thought i got it figured out quite well, but then i noticed something today: my foot taps on 1 2 3 4, just as it is supposed to, but it does the upwards movement on the "a" instead of the "&".

is this a problem?

cheers guys :)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 07:16:45 pm »
hey guys, awesome lesson, just as usual :)

just a short question:
i actualy thought i got it figured out quite well, but then i noticed something today: my foot taps on 1 2 3 4, just as it is supposed to, but it does the upwards movement on the "a" instead of the "&".

is this a problem?

cheers guys :)

Not really a problem. As long as your foot touches the floor on the counting you are alright.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline Majinn

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 04:06:21 am »
All,

Just read the posts here. I can do :
- basic 16th note strumming and tap my foot
- basic 16th note strumming + accents on the beat and tap my foot
- I can do patterns #24, #25 and #26 from RUST II DVD without foottapping ...

... but the minute I need to move the accent and keep tapping and I can't do it. I have been at it for several weeks and I'm badly stuck. Has anyone experienced this and has any tips?

Majinn

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 12:46:18 am »
Having a few problems with this pattern.

I can do the pattern, but only upto 75bmp. If I go higher I go out of sync with the metronome.

I've been stuck like this for a few weeks now. It's so frustrating.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 02:27:32 am »
Having a few problems with this pattern.

I can do the pattern, but only upto 75bmp. If I go higher I go out of sync with the metronome.

I've been stuck like this for a few weeks now. It's so frustrating.

You try what I recommended when you had trouble with the IM Rhythm 2?

http://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=23956.msg290155#msg290155
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 10:21:38 am »
Sorry forgot about that.

I'll definitely try that.

It's just strange how I can do it fairly comfortably at 75bpm, but even if I only nudge it up two or three I go out of sync. 

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 12:03:35 pm »
@Casual:

If you're going out of sync with such a small raise in speed, I'm guessing it's not in muscle memory yet. If you can do IM Rhythm 2 pattern from the previous level at higher speeds than 75bpm you know you've got the speed in your arm/wrist and can do it.

I also think that because you're strumming ever 16th note on IM Rhythm 2 and concentrating on accents off the beat that it is harder than IM Rhythm 3 (at least I found it to be). IM Rhythm 3 is just about concentrating on the pattern itself.

Go back down to a comfortable speed, get the pattern in your head. Listen to how it sounds so your whole body gets into the rhythm. Speeding up should be easier then. You can't count "1 ee and ah, 2 ee and ah, 3 ee and ah 4 ee and ah" at fast speeds so you're relying on your ear and memory of the pattern to know when to strum.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 08:45:57 pm »
Cheers Replicant.

It definitely still doesn't feel natural yet.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 01:58:12 am »
Cheers Replicant.

It definitely still doesn't feel natural yet.

Yeah, I suppose that's the problem. If it isn't feeling natural isn't not in your muscle memory and you have to think about it. Speeding up makes it harder to think and you mess up. That's my guess.

Again......from memory, I did all the thinking and counting at a slow speed (looking back at my records I started at 50bpm). After a few days I'd built it up to 90bpm and after 3 weeks I was doing it at 110bpm without hiccups -  but I wasn't consciously counting out the 16th notes. I just had the rhythm in my head and knew how it sounded. Quietly hum the rhythm as you do it so it becomes a little tune. It's something I do naturally and have never had any problems with the rhythm parts of the course. It might help.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 02:14:15 am »
I have a theory about getting things into slow twitch muscle memory vs fast twitch muscle memory. One thing I've done to try to get something into fast twitch muscle memory is to put the metronome up to the speed where you have trouble keeping up and do one bar "on" (playing) and one (or more, however many it takes you to be comfortable jumping back in) "off" (not playing). When that is comfy move up to 2 bars on, then 3 or 4. By the time you can do 4, you usually have it.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 10:47:53 am »
I have a theory about getting things into slow twitch muscle memory vs fast twitch muscle memory. One thing I've done to try to get something into fast twitch muscle memory is to put the metronome up to the speed where you have trouble keeping up and do one bar "on" (playing) and one (or more, however many it takes you to be comfortable jumping back in) "off" (not playing). When that is comfy move up to 2 bars on, then 3 or 4. By the time you can do 4, you usually have it.

That is a very interesting theory. I'm going to try this. I know Justin has suggested speeding up the metronome.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App