Author Topic: IM-134 • Technique: String Muting Techniques  (Read 11691 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-134 • Technique: String Muting Techniques
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:32:43 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:14:01 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

saichoo

Re: IM-134 • Technique: String Muting Techniques
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36:38 pm »
Wow, this one was a humdinger! I guess the best way to practise this would be to focus on one hand at a time. Having just gone through the lesson, for me the left hand part is a bit easier because of my experience of muting strings for chords, but the first finger bit is new to me. But I shall follow Justin's advice and not get too caught up with it... :)

ducky

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 06:01:15 am »
Just my 2 cents worth regarding the strumming hand

The movement and motions of your strumming hand are effectively the same whether or not you are using it to mute strings. It's just that when you are muting the strings, your strumming hand moves while rested on the strings.

I find that it really helps to reduce how much your pick sticks out. This really forces you to rest your hand on the strings and get used to the feeling of the strings.

I don't anchormy pinky by the way, not sure how all these will pan out if you do.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:29:36 am by ducky »

aho

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:37:25 am »
When I watch that tutorials
I realized something really wrong with my playing
When I play I always have tons of noise from released string

I play guitar with my finger really straight with the finger board, which makes muting using point finger or other finger is nearly impossible
I know that it`s wrong, but I have to do that to extend the reach of my little finger
note : I have small arms
I tried to make a smaller degree between my finger and fingerboard, the noise reduced but I lost all my speed and I lost my reach with little finger

Muting with palm really help, but when say I play string 4 then move to string 3 it always fail since there`s a small gap that I can`t mute quickly

So my question is :
- Is there any suggestion about muting, with the way I play
- Should I learn to position my finger all over again

Please help since the noise is really annoying
Thanx before

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:55:20 am »
I'm not sure I understand the part about angles, but one thing comes to mind: when you release a string, the muting actually happens (or at least can be done) with the finger that just released the string. Try it out slow: when you release the string, don't pull the finger off (unless that's what you want), release it a little more slowly so the string is being muted. This works even for fairly fast playing (though there is a limit as to speed).

Above and beyond that: like Justin said, don't sweat this too much. Once you're aware of the problem, your fingers tend to find a way to solve this (at least mine did). Muting is a lot about experimentation. And the more you practice, the more flexible your finger and hand positions will become, which makes it easier to mute.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Re: IM-134 • Technique: String Muting Techniques Upstrum muting
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 11:58:06 pm »
You can't palm mute on an upstrum because the palm is above the pick, so how do you keep strings from ringing out?
Realism is relative.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:26:46 am »
You can, by changing your hand position, but it's still a little tricky. In the beginning, it's easier to stick with down strums when you want to do palm muting. There's also the fretting hand, but that's more for muting strings altogether and not just a little.

Edit: poor choice of words, I know you're not a beginner, meant "until you figured it out" ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:45:46 am by jacksroadhouse »

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 04:27:36 am »
You can, by changing your hand position, but it's still a little tricky. In the beginning, it's easier to stick with down strums when you want to do palm muting. There's also the fretting hand, but that's more for muting strings altogether and not just a little.

Edit: poor choice of words, I know you're not a beginner, meant "until you figured it out" ;)

By changing your hand position exactly how?   
Realism is relative.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 06:24:00 am »
Difficult to describe. You need to get the palm mute in before the pick. I started with resting the palm on the strings, strummed down and up and took it from there. My arm seems to be somewhat lower than usual when I do that, almost in line with the strings. The rest was just experimenting, and just letting it flow, even if the mute isn't always perfect.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:48:57 am »
If I just use my hand, strum with the outside of my thumb on the knuckle for the upstrum I get a nice mutey sound but then I slice up my hand.  Which doesn't seem to stop me.  I think I secretly want to be a flamenco guitarist.   Using my whole hand  is  the best muting I've gotten.  But I will play with the up strum angle too.  Thanks for your help, JRH.

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline Professor Plunk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 10:17:09 am »
Hey, when I play scales higher up the neck on the lowest strings, I have to curl up my fingers to keep my wrist straight, so I can't lay my index finger on the fretboard. It looks like this:

Obviously, there's a lot of unwanted noise coming from the higher strings.
On the videos, when he plays around this area of the neck and on the lower strings, Justin seems to curl up his fingers just like I do and he's not muting the higher strings with his left hand, and yet there's no noise. How does he do that?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 09:47:50 pm »
See my answer on the other thread you posted this in, but also:

He's doing a combination of not strumming the high strings and muting with his left hand.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline zorner

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 03:28:50 pm »
If I'm playing without a pick, how should i do the low note muting?
I tried to rest my hand on the low strings and play with the thumb and it's really uncomfortable, I also tried to pick with my 3 fingers(1st finger to 3rd string etc.) but this kind of picking is slower. So what should I do?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 10:32:20 pm »
Finger picking is always going to be slower than flatpicking.

You have to do a combination of right and left hand muting. Use the fingers you're not fretting with to mute strings, and use your palm to mute the rest.

You might want to watch a few videos for bass players: muting is a HUGE part of playing that instrument and some of their techniques do carry over to guitar.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline DaniDD

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 06:42:15 pm »
Regarding the fretting hand muting technique, When I try to mute the strings above with the tip of the fingers, I feel that sometimes the strings (that I'm playing) are slipping from my fingers.
What can I do about it?

It's weird because I always thought that you must press only with the tip of your fingers, and now you say that it is necessary to mute the lower strings with the tip, and it almost gets flat /:

Offline brooklynborn

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 04:33:29 pm »
One thing I'm curious about is muting flick offs and open strings. For example, in the Hey Joe intro there's a flick off from fret 2, 3rd string to the open G string and I'm struggling to keep the open B from ringing out after completing the flick-off. Any suggestions?

Offline wukong

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 02:08:23 am »
Hello,

One question on the picking hand: in previous lesson, I think Justin recommended to use an anchor finger, but in this lessen, he is not. Does it matter? Thanks

Get The Forum As A Mobile App