Author Topic: IM-132 • One Minute Changes  (Read 7090 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-132 • One Minute Changes
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:19:09 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline redghost

• Good Vibes 0
Re: IM-132 • One Minute Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 05:36:46 pm »
Heyho, again a great lesson, just a short question:

Arround Minute 3 Justin says finger 2 and 4 can hang arround whereever they are comfortable. Right after this he says you shouldnt tuck the behind the neck. My pinky moves behind the neck automatically. It just seems more comfortable and puts a little bit more pressure on finger 3. Is this alright or should i try avoid doing that for some reason?

Thanks a lot :)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:16:45 pm »
You answered your own question

Right after this he says you shouldn't tuck the behind the neck.

To quote Justin he says "That would be really bad."

Offline redghost

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:30:32 am »
Yeah, but before that he says "put the fingers whereever you feel comfortable"? Plus its looks like he puts the pinky behind the neck a lot?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »
Justin pulls his fingers way out of the way on many of his videos so you can see what he's doing with his fretting hand. Ideally, you hardly move your fingers at all from where they were when you play a new chord or note (check 'minimum movement' lesson).

BTW, what exactly do you mean by 'behind the neck'?
If you mean the side of the guitar opposite the side with strings, yes - that's very bad.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline redghost

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:25:53 pm »
Alright, thanks for the help.

by "behind the neck" i mean the direction my fingers are pushing to. i put my pinky down, underneath the neck, its pointing at my and almost in my palm
it looks quite the same like the thing justin does with his pinky at the "Gm to C" at Minute 5:40

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:57:54 pm »
Alright, thanks for the help.

by "behind the neck" i mean the direction my fingers are pushing to. i put my pinky down, underneath the neck, its pointing at my and almost in my palm
it looks quite the same like the thing justin does with his pinky at the "Gm to C" at Minute 5:40

Yeah... not so good.

Justin is pulling fingers he isn't using out of the way so the video clearly shows his fretting fingers. When regularly playing, all four of your fingers tend to stay somewhere over the fretboard, ready to be used.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline redghost

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:04:35 pm »
Alright, thanks for the help :)

Offline RevolutionarySpirits

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 08:34:32 pm »
As I practice these one-minute changes, I'm finding that it's much easier for me to play barre chords on the 5th string using my 1st and 4th fingers, rather than 1st and 3rd.  Is there anything wrong with this?  I have big hands.  It just feels better in terms of body mechanics, and my pinky is probably big and strong enough to cover strings 2, 3 & 4. 

Thanks for any advice or cautions. 

Offline Cataract

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »
I would try to play with your 1st and 3rd finger as you may need 4th finger to play some variations later on

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 09:45:37 pm »
Cataract makes a good point, and I think eventually you will want to learn to play it both ways. I normally play it with my 1st and 3rd fingers, there's nothing wrong with using 1 and 4 but you won't be able to use your pinky for embellishments. I often play power chords using fingers 1 and 4, though, because it's sometimes more comfortable or convenient.

So my advice: you can play the barre with your pinky if it works for you, but don't neglect the traditional fingering just because it's difficult. You'll want to have that option later on.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App