Author Topic: IM-131 • A Shape Major Barre Chord Grip  (Read 18471 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: IM-131 • A Shape Major Barre Chord Grip
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2017, 06:44:23 am »
@ batwoman

In general, the high note is the least important to have ring out - for now. Concentrate fully on getting Root plus the 3-barre notes ringing clean and true. And shifting between this chord shape up / down / after / before open & other barres etc.
This usage will help your 3rd (or even your 4th which I frequently use to barre on the A-shape) working properly. Then, in time, you will find it easier to begin to get that high note ringing out..
If the high note is vital to the sound you're after, ditch the barre shape and play as a four string chord with index on thin e string, then the 3-together and mute A / E strings.

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2017, 06:45:21 am »
Part of my problem is that I get so disgusted with myself when I don't get a good sound first try, so I have a hissy fit and stop trying. Yeah, yeah I know I've got to persevere  :)

I'm wondering if any of you have found ways of gently making the finger joints more flexible?
1) That always makes me giggle :)
2) Try putting your fretting fingers flat on the table and gradually tilt your hand upwards keeping your fingers flat, then when you can't go any further let your finger joints flex. Next make a claw shape and gradually try to get you finger tips to touch your big joint with your palm.
Those are exercises I do to help with early stages of arthritis, they work OK for me.
This is a bit more detailed:
http://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis/arthritis-hand-exercises#treatments2
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 133
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2017, 03:47:51 pm »
I agree with close. The e string is the least important note in the A shaped barre chord.
You 'll find the better you get at playing the guitar the less strings you'll use when playing.
What I mean is once you start learning chord invertions and playing up the neck you'll find
less is more and sounds sweeter.

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2017, 03:30:53 am »
Thanks very much Close, Darrell and stitch. Your advise and comments have helped a lot. Most of all I need to persevere, doing a little bit every day. I also need to be patient with myself on the days it doesn't sound as good as I expect. Like the tortoise, I'll keep plodding along till I reach my prize.

Stitch it's interesting you mention inversions. I have 25 of the little darlings to learn. There's a D7 on the 10th fret that has completely defied me to get any sound other than plunk, plunk, plunk.

Offline jeff00

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2017, 01:27:08 am »
Strangely enough, when playing the A shaped bar chord my pinky ends up muting the high E string. The flesh near the base of my pinky (near the hand) inadvertently touches the string. How do you keep it out of they way? Sometimes I find it comfortable to overlap it with the ring finger, but I don't see anyone else doing it that way. Is that a bad habit I should be avoiding?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App