Author Topic: IM-131 • A Shape Major Barre Chord Grip  (Read 46819 times)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
Re: IM-131 • A Shape Major Barre Chord Grip
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2015, 10:00:12 pm »
Having the e string ring in an A shaped barre is best to be avoided, imho. I do not think it sounds good and I am pretty sure I've heard it mentioned around here, maybe from Justin but I'm not sure.
If the sound of the e string doesn't bother you I wouldn't think more about it, but I'd practice to mute it.

/Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 11:10:30 pm »
The only thing to avoid is fretting the high e string with the third finger.

I don't think the difference between allowing the index barred e string to ring or not is going to be all that noticeable.  Well, EXCEPT to you, because you know it happens and it bugs you (i assume, you posted about it after all).  But an average listener will rarely, if ever notice.

I think it is admirable to make the effort to get that note working.  Mine is usually muted - more out of laziness than any strong feelings one way or another regarding the sound.  I can get it to wring with maximum effort and concentration, but in the moment grooving with a busyish rhythm it is mostly muted.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2015, 12:50:20 am »
If you can pull off playing the e that's great. Gives you to option of playing it or muting.
Personaly when playing  an electric with effects it really makes no differents.
But play clean or an acoustic sometimes you need the high e to ring out.
Don't let it hold you back as long as you're not barring the e string with you ring finger.

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2015, 07:52:27 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, as the text supporting this lesson was a bit ambiguous - well to me anyway. Its just the first time it happened I thought Hey thats sounded sweet but like I said it was inconsistent as to where it rang out depending where I was on the neck and of course if the index finger pressure was enough for a clean note!

Guess my way forward will be to practice this (ie 1st e string note as index barre) when I do the strum / pick exercise and see if can be more consistent up and down the neck. But I won't get hung up with the 1 minute changes and when I get to using it in songs - if its muted or clean just accept it for what it is.

Main issue at the moment is ensuring the low E is muted so I'll be focusing on that for now and let karma take care of whats happening down below - which is why I'm keeping the 1MCs slow until its second nature to stay in contact with the 6th string.  ;D

Cheers

Toby
8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2015, 06:46:50 pm »
Damn, thought I'd nailed this as I've actually been using the chord in songs on my electrics but can I get it to ring clean on my acoustic? No !!! Feels like the top joint of my ring finger is too short to barre all 3 strings but guess I just need to work at it.

Anyway my question is, what should I be doing with my middle and pinkie ? At the moment they're standing out rigid like some messed up metal sign - o\o/ - I know I might need to use the pinkie for sus4s in the future but they just stick out like sentrys. Any tips on getting them to relax?

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead

Offline slow-learner

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2016, 05:59:38 am »
Okay, I have just found E-Barre chords today, but I have to say, I don't hold out much hope of ever being able to use the single-third-finger technique. You see, I've got these little hands ("There's no problem down there. No problem!") whose fingers don't being backward at the tip. And I don't mean not much, I mean not at all, and they never have. So the tip isn't large enough to cover the three strings, yet neither can I get more of my first segment down onto the stings.

Here's a pic.

Now, just so you don't think I'm just not pushing hard enough, here's another pic:

My fingers are small enough to fit three across on DGB, but of course I want to be able to change chords fast. Can anyone suggest anything or am I slave to my genes?

Thanks!

Online Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2016, 07:21:34 am »
Your hands are not too small, and even if they are, your fingers are long, which compensates. It's got nothing to do with genes and everything to do with technique. Nobody's finger tips bend back independently. Adjust your technique by moving the position of your wrist to allow your finger to lever back against the fretboard. It's the lower knuckle that creates the flex to plant the finger across the 3 strings, not the fingertip.

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2016, 09:32:49 am »
@shadowscott007 .. Thanks for your feedback in this thread. I had my GS Mini set up but i think the nut is still not right since F I'd almost impossible to fret comfortably (no problem on other guitars) I also notice the action is twice as high at the bridge end than the neck which means all barre chords are a trial
I'll have a look at it when I get a moment.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline Katt_lo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2016, 11:21:47 am »
Hey guys!!
I'm new to the forum (actually this is my first post). This chord is a terrible nightmare. I know there are several ways to play this chord but I really want to play it with my index and ring fingers but it's just not going right. In the beginning it was almost impossible to get my ring finger to bend but thankfully i can bend it now (not as much as the rest of my fingers tho). It took me a while to get it to sound right and eventually it did but that process caused me alot of pain so i payed attention to me technique and i noticed that i used to bend my ring finger really far behind the neck. I would make this huge gap between my ring and pinky fingers. I figured that was the problem (maybe not) so I tried to break that habit and play with all of my fingers above the fretboard but it's just not working that way. I stopped getting the pains now but I can't get the g string to ring out clearly. No matter how much i press i can't get it to ring. I just feel like my ring is much weaker now that my pinky is not tugged behind. Is that a strength problem like? is it just a matter of practice? Or is it ok to go back to the first way. This is really frustrating, I feel like throwing my guitar across the room sometimes.  Oh and which side of my ring fingers should i press with? Any help is appreciated :)

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2016, 02:55:58 pm »
HI Katt and welcome to the forum.

It took me a while to get that A barre and I had lots of probs with that G string but also the D. What worked for me was starting the 'ring' barre on the D and ensure it was clean then focused on the G then B. It took very small adjustments each time to get all 3 sounding ok. Personally I think the closer to the fret you can get the less pressure you need but that can be a stretch to start. Watch the 1 minute changes where Justin changes from E shape to A shape and you'll notice the A is angled a bit, Index finger closer to bridge, that may help as well. Keep practicing and let us know how you get on.

Toby
 8)

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2016, 12:09:23 am »
I've reached stage 3 of the intermediate course and the A shape barre chord.
It's a real killer. Nothing I've done so far approaches the difficulty of getting anywhere with this chord.
My third finger just won't slope up behind the first joint and it hurts like **** trying.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2016, 12:12:32 am »
Try your pinky instead. That's how I play them.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2016, 07:55:48 am »
Yea, don't sweat the high strings.

Your issue is prob. the index finger.

Relax. catch the center 4 strings
Gone

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2016, 04:37:29 pm »
TB-AV is right to you only really need the inside 4 strings. I believe Justin even mentions it in his
video.

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2016, 06:29:09 pm »
Willsie

This gave my old hands loads of problems before I got it right. I even 'developed' a method of supporting a tablet with my ring finger's joint bent to force it back and take some weight! Eventually I heeded to words here of just forgetting about that high e and it all fell into place.

One thing I did discover, was my index barre was not parallel to the frets and the middle joint sat back slightly towards the neck. Just tweaking the barre a little, with middle joint just a bit closer to the fret and that e rang clean.............it wasn't the ring finger after all !!

Toby
 8)

Offline phpadmin

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2017, 10:02:01 pm »
Explain me plaese why Justin muted the first string when he put the a-shaped barre chord? I watched the video lesson on "Nothing else matters" by metallica, the guy who teached this song also used this form of barre chord, but he played the first string too. (on the video you can see it on 3:25) How can i play it? I notice that when i use the ring finger to make a mini-barre i can not bend it to unmute the thinnest string. How do you play this song?)) Share your experience with me ;)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2017, 10:26:24 pm »
If you really can't do the mini Barre you could try 2 3 4 for the Barre instead but it will probably slow you down, it takes a lot of practice to get it right but when you've got it it's worth the effort.

Offline phpadmin

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2017, 10:44:18 pm »
If you really can't do the mini Barre you could try 2 3 4 for the Barre instead but it will probably slow you down, it takes a lot of practice to get it right but when you've got it it's worth the effort.
Just saw justin's lesson of nothing else matters. He does not use the first string while playing. Interesting because he has huge experience and up to now he does not play the chord correctly :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2017, 10:52:16 pm »
It's not a matter of whether the chord is being played correctly or not, it's down to if it's really needed and interpretation, maybe the other version isn't strictly correct. Like so many artists you very rarely hear them play exactly the same thing every time especially live!

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2017, 05:17:27 am »
Have you watched this lesson? In it, Justin says it's difficult to consistently get the note on the high e string to ring cleanly. It's very dependent on finger size and flexibility. If you're going to use the minibar then most players don't bother with trying to get that note. They just let it stay muted. In most cases you won't miss it. I would not describe it as playing the chord incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2017, 09:39:23 pm »
To look at the theory of why you don't need the high e string, your standard major chord consists of the first (I), third(III) and fifth(V), which in the case of A Major, is A (your I), C# (III) and E (IV). Now in open position, from lowest to highest you play A, E, A, C#, and E.
Take away the high E, you do lose the higher pitched E, but you still have an E on the 4th string, so you still have enough notes to make an A major chord.

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2017, 05:54:08 pm »
Just started IM-3 and can do the A-shape without a lot of difficulty as long as I don't try to place it down too quickly.  My ring finger looks like roast beef on the bottom if I hold the shape for too long.

I think the hardest challenge with this chord will be to quickly form it on the fretboard and stay in timing with a rhythm/song.  No idea why, but a few of the open chords I find can sometimes be harder than the bar chords. ???

Since the top and bottom E strings are muted, when strumming should the player just try to aim and not hit those strings?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:34:39 pm by captainamerica »
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2017, 07:46:27 pm »
The low E should be muted with the tip of your index finger and the high e by the underside. That said, you should aim to start your strum on the A string.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2017, 10:41:43 pm »
I had a pretty easy time with this shape I guess my fat fingers are good for something. However, I find this chord painful on my hand and hard to do up at the first fret [ A#]. Is that an indication my technique is wrong?

I also had a hard time doing my power chords at that fret. I noticed I was hitting my hand up against the nut [ I've got a metal locking nut Floyd rose]so I changed how I play them and straightened my wrist and play them more like a bar chord. It hurt for a while, but it doesn't hurt anymore and I don't jam my finger up against the nut anymore.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 06:33:19 am »
I don't seem to have made much progress with this shaped barre chord. I've watched the lesson again and scanned this thread. Part of my problem is that I get so disgusted with myself when I don't get a good sound first try, so I have a hissy fit and stop trying. Yeah, yeah I know I've got to persevere  :)

If I take my time, sometimes I get a good sound, then it all vanishes if I do my One Minute Changes. There's no way I could play it in a song.

I don't want to modify it. I'm intent on playing it properly as its taught and I want a clear sound on the high E.

Part of the problem is that my fingers won't stretch 'sideways' enough to press just behind the fret with my third finger. I know I need to do more finger gym to help with that. 

I'm wondering if any of you have found ways of gently making the finger joints more flexible?

Feeling frustrated  >:(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:53:46 am by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App