Author Topic: IM-131 • A Shape Major Barre Chord Grip  (Read 46820 times)

Offline Cuandoman

• Good Vibes 0
Re: IM-131 • A Shape Major Barre Chord Grip
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 08:38:01 am »
Oddly enough, I actually found this easy.  I think it's all the drop-D rock tunes I've been playing.  I frequently use my index and ring finger in a similar way. 

As an example look up 'Outshined' by Soundgarden or really any SG song.

Offline Majinn

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 04:02:13 am »
Hi,

Almost finished with intermediate part 3 and I think I have the A Shape Major Barre Chord Grip to a decent standard. The only thing I didn't get from the DVD is ...

- when do you use a-shape Maj barre chord grip? Do I need to read the music theory e-book to understand when those chords are typically used? and

- do this chord shape can only be played using 5th string root notes or are there a shape maj barre chord grip chords with a 4th string root note?

Thanks.

Majinn

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 12:28:56 pm »
- when do you use a-shape Maj barre chord grip? Do I need to read the music theory e-book to understand when those chords are typically used?

Whenever you need a chord that has a fifth string root.  If you're playing the blues in A and you want to change to a D chord, it's easy to play the D chord as an a-shaped barre chord because it's just below the A on the sixth string.  You don't need the theory book to understand that, but reading the theory book is a good idea in any case.

do this chord shape can only be played using 5th string root notes or are there a shape maj barre chord grip chords with a 4th string root note?

The a-shaped barre is used only on fifth string root notes.  In Intermediate part 5 you'll learn about triads that have their roots on the 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st strings.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline andy cooper

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 07:12:04 pm »
hi i am having trouble with the B chord, i thought i mastered it but no i have not
i seem to be getting a lot of buzzing,i do the pluck each string that's fine its when i strum not all the time though, thing is i have been fine with it its like i have gone back 6 months. thanks

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 08:29:08 pm »
If you were doing it fine before and having problems now then you have changed something.
You'll have to analyze what you've changed and go back to the way if was.

When was the last time you changed your strings? Old strings can give you buzzes and not stay in tune.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 09:00:28 pm »
If it sounds fine when you pluck each string, then buzzes when you strum the chord, the problem is your grip.

You're releasing the pressure on the strings when you start strumming - when you pick each note, you're really concentrating on holding down both barre's across the strings. When you start playing, I'll bet your posture changes just a little bit and your focus shifts from your fretting hand to your strumming hand.

Practice, practice, practice - pick each note, then strum. Get both perfect. Then do it again, strumming twice. And again...
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26:57 pm »
hi i am having trouble with the B chord, i thought i mastered it but no i have not
i seem to be getting a lot of buzzing,i do the pluck each string that's fine its when i strum not all the time though, thing is i have been fine with it its like i have gone back 6 months. thanks

As mouser says, you're probably releasing the tension of your grip as you play. It could also be that you just strum harder as you play than you do when single plucking. Try relaxing your strumming hand a little, or go for a lighter pick and see if that helps. If it doesn't, it's definitely your grip relaxing.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline ogabor

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 10:05:27 pm »
Hi!
I learned to play this chord shape from this lesson back about a year ago, for which I'm greatful.  :) Also I play it sometimes with my pinky if I need the high E string (it doesn't mute it like my 3rd finger).
However, a few days ago I had the chance to practice with a professional musician who looked horrified when I played it with a bar with my 3rd finger. He said that it will ruin my finger joint if I keep playing it like that and that I should use my 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger instead.
Does any of you have experience with such a problem, or heard of cases like that? I have more loose joints than average.
Thanks in advance!

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 10:28:55 pm »
I've been playing A shaped Barre chords with my third finger and sometimes my pinky for over 35 years
and have never had a problem. Justin has been playing since he was 10 and he doesn't seem to have
any problems either.
What kind of music does this professional musician play? I don't know anyone who plays A shaped barre
chords with their 234 fingers.

Offline ogabor

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:19 pm »
Thanks for the quick answer!
He plays guitar and lyre for more than 30 years as a profession (classical, plus blues and jazz as a hobby), that's why I took his warning so seriously. So it's more of his personal... thingy I guess.  ::)

Offline FCBfan

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 09:02:29 pm »
Hi all,
First of all, to all of you who think they can't do it : YOU CAN ! Believe me. When I started out on the 5th string, I had the same problem as most of you.... "And I thought the F chord was hard ? This one is way harder and hurts more". Practice, Patience and Persistence.... Just don't give up. It took me and most of us, I think, a lot (!!!!) of time. And even now, I still get some buzzes from time to time. But I'm getting there.
So, just keep at it and try not to get too frustrated.

Secondly, a question towards a moderator or anyone else who may have an answer....

When using A shape majors on up strums, I keep hearing that muted 1st string. I mean, it's muted alright, but you always get that high pitched, kind of 'puck'-sound when the chord starts ringing out. I hope you understand what I mean. I find this annoying. Is this the way it's supposed to be played ? I mean, when I form, on the same fret a 7th, minor 7th or sus chord, the high e rings out nicely as it should, also on an upstrum.
I start to have the tendency to start the upstrum higher on the strings, towards the Second string, to avoid that muted sound of the high E. Any thoughts ? Thx !

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 09:17:01 pm »
There are 2 choices:

Fret the thin string cleanly with your index finger barre and lift your 3rd finger barre over this string enough for it to sound out;

Or:

Mute it completely by partially raising your 3rd finger.

It can still sound out if:

i) You don't lift your 3rd finger enough, and the note ends up being fretted by it;
ii) You lift your 3rd finger right up, but don't fret the note cleanly with the index finger barre.

If you figure out which of those is happening, you will have your answer! :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 03:45:19 am »
Hi!
I learned to play this chord shape from this lesson back about a year ago, for which I'm greatful.  :) Also I play it sometimes with my pinky if I need the high E string (it doesn't mute it like my 3rd finger).
However, a few days ago I had the chance to practice with a professional musician who looked horrified when I played it with a bar with my 3rd finger. He said that it will ruin my finger joint if I keep playing it like that and that I should use my 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger instead.
Does any of you have experience with such a problem, or heard of cases like that? I have more loose joints than average.
Thanks in advance!

I don;t know about ruining your joint but some people do want you play the chord that way. It has a bit different sound... a bit 'truer' perhaps. It's obviously very hard to do way up the neck and it doesn't lend itself to playing some other rock oriented things. But yes...

===============

I start to have the tendency to start the upstrum higher on the strings, towards the Second string, to avoid that muted sound of the high E. Any thoughts ? Thx !

That is what I would do, if I didn't want to hear the note muted or ringing. Only other option is to remove the string which creates other problems.
Gone

Offline FCBfan

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 12:13:35 pm »
There are 2 choices:

Fret the thin string cleanly with your index finger barre and lift your 3rd finger barre over this string enough for it to sound out;

Or:

Mute it completely by partially raising your 3rd finger.

It can still sound out if:

i) You don't lift your 3rd finger enough, and the note ends up being fretted by it;
ii) You lift your 3rd finger right up, but don't fret the note cleanly with the index finger barre.

If you figure out which of those is happening, you will have your answer! :)

Thx for input, but it really is muted....
It makes exactly the same sound when muting only this high e string with eg your index finger and doing an upstrum. It's mainly on the acoustic, though. Because of the amplification on an electric, you won't hear it that much.
My question is : do you all just upstrum on an A shaped major as you would on an open chord , or avoid the high e as well ?
You can hear a clear difference when upstrumming from the first string upwards as opposed to an upstrum from the second string upwards.
I hope what I'm writing makes sense, is understandable.

Thank you !

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 03:06:46 pm »
Yes, it makes sense. It's simply hard ot miss that string but if you can learn to simply strum the center 4 strings then do so. It depends on how you strum or even if you finger pick, you could pluck all 4 strings at once or do short strums. If you do long aggressive strums it's going to be much harder. But... aggressive strumming should be much more difficult to hear.

IOW, 'strumming' can be a very subtle thing and yes you could miss that string... or sometimes it will be very hard o miss it.
Gone

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2014, 03:41:02 pm »
My question is : do you all just upstrum on an A shaped major as you would on an open chord , or avoid the high e as well ?
Strumming is a skill like everything else. Your going to have to learn many different approaches to it.
I personally do what ever the song I'm playing needs. If it's playing the A shaped barre chord so the
e string rings out. I play the e string as part of the chord. If the song requires just the inside 4 string
that what I play.

I don't know what level you're at or the type of music you play but you should learn how to play the
e string as part of the chord and learn how to miss it when needed. This is a more important skill for
acoustic than electric but still a skill you should have under your fingers.

Have you tried using your pinky instead of your ring finger?   

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 10:56:30 pm »
I seems like I'm one of the lucky ones. I've nailed this chord first go.

Although it just tired my hand out quick. It's just of building up the strength.

Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline CCameron13

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 10:17:55 pm »
I actually learned it barring with my 4th finger. I believe I first started really doing it learning to play White Room by Cream, watching Clapton do it as someone mentioned earlier (years ago). Definitely makes it easier to get that 6th string some room to ring, although I agree that the chord usually sounds better without it. Often I even catch it with my thumb wrapped over the top of the neck, not necessarily on purpose but if it just so happens to be there from whatever position my hand was in last.. I haven't found much disadvantage to it just yet.

Offline lazi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 06:08:46 pm »

I am also part of the "pinky" movement - it just seems so much easier- can anyone here tell me if there is a real disavantage? Also changing from E to A shape works quite well.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2015, 11:36:24 am »
Justin often uses the pinky for the bar for this grip iF you watch his son lessons.  No disadvantages, but on occasion you will want to use your third finger so you can play a sus4 by fretting the note a half step higher than the barre on the second string.  So it is good thing to be ABLE to use your third finger for the barre to grab that note even if you normally play the barre with the pinky.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline marzzz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 07:24:26 am »
I have always played this barre chord with my third finger flat- bending the knuckle and arching it up is something of a revelation, because Justin is right about the wrist position. Now to try to unlearn my bad habit....

Offline sadra

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2015, 12:26:06 pm »
hi
i just wonder that why its so easy for me to get these A shape major chords.i easily do it! i can play the first string which justin told should be muted. so what should i do? should i mute it or let it sound?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2015, 12:48:31 pm »
@Sara

Depends.

As long as you are SURE the high e string note you are playing is the note under your index finger (same fret as the root note), you can go ahead and let it ring. 

But if it is the note under you ring finger (or pinky, depending on which you use) you should not let it ring.  That note turns the chord into a 6th chord, which won't work in a given song in many cases.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2015, 03:28:27 pm »
hi
i just wonder that why its so easy for me to get these A shape major chords.i easily do it! i can play the first string which justin told should be muted. so what should i do? should i mute it or let it sound?

What Shadow and some people have very flexible fingers and have no problem bending it
backwards to lift it off the e string. If you aren't lifting it and playing the e string with the
BGD strings you're not doing it right.

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 07:32:58 pm »
Thought I'd better ask this question before getting into bad habits, assuming I am !

Although I'm struggling with the 3 string ring finger bar, on quite a few occasions I've found that I'm barring the 1st string with my index finger. Ok that's good but it seems very inconsistent and more likely to happen moving towards the nut, normally 5th to 1st fret - above the 5th I seem to lose the pressure.

Now I know from what Justin says that its ok not to play the 1st string and just play the chord with the A shape across strings 2 to 5 but should I worry about being inconsistent ? Will it stand out eg 5th fret D with all 5 strings followed by 7th fret E with just the 4 ?

I've only been working on this shape for 2-3 weeks and I'm trying to do the 1 minute changes real slow, to avoid the practice makes permanent, until I feel happy landing the shape. But should I be aiming for one or the other, given that I seem to be able to lift my ring finger clear of the 1st string?

Grateful of any pointers, as I don't want this to turn into another F Barre/BC Stage 6 Nemesis  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Get The Forum As A Mobile App