Author Topic: IM-131 • A Shape Major Barre Chord Grip  (Read 19541 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:08:27 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

barderc

Re: IM-131 • A Shape Major Barre Chord Grip
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:12:35 pm »
While getting to grips with the other 5th string barre chords, A-major is a nightmare - definitely the hardest chord for me so far.  Unless I go incredibly slowly, either my 3rd finger ends up touching and slightly muting the 5th A string, or I don't put enough pressure on the first E string and it half rings rather than being muted (I can't bend my third finger knuckle back enough to clear it and allow it to ring cleanly) or I put on too much pressure (rather than just enough to mute it) and end up making the first E string ring out.

Does anyone have any tips other than to keep at it?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 07:19:17 am »
most of the time you don't need to worry about playing / hearing the (thin) e string with this shape barre chord ... of course keep practicing though ... you could try playing the barre part of the chord with 3rd finger, 4th finger or fingers 2,3,4 together

inthewind

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »
I actually didn't know I was doing this until this lesson and took a close look at my A shape but ...
My pinky sits on the E string to mute it.  It snugs right up next to my ring finger and kind of sits on the corner of the fretboard and just touches the E.  If I think about it I can't do it so I don't know if this will work for you or not but you can give it a try.

EggiEggson

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:18:05 pm »
Hello guys (my first reply to this outstanding course :) )

In advance: Sorry for my English.

I tried really hard to handle the chord with my 1st and 3rd finger, it absolutely didn´t work. But I figured out that it is much easier for me to press the B/G/D strings with my pinkie finger - as a side effect, the high E string gets muted automatically, I didn´t have to train much on that.

What do you think? Could this way be a disadvantage in future? Is it preferrable for other people who have the same problems and maybe also figure out they get better/faster results using the small finger?

Offline freigeist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:13:54 am »
Hi EggiEggson,

at first: almost everyone has problems with the A shape bar chords at the beginning ;)

Some great guitarists play it that (pinky) way (e.g. clapton sometimes). From time to time I have seen Justin playing it that way too.
So I think it´s not a problem, but I prefer the "proper" way. It´s hard to learn...really....for almost everyone.
The standard fingerings are not chosen randomly. They have established themselves over the centuries because they are in most cases the best (or let´s say easiest way) to play.

The whole web is full of beginners who say something like "I can´t do this", "I´m physically not able to do it", "My fingers are too short"...and so on.
In most cases, people simply give up too soon. Yeah it´s easier to say that you can´t do it than practicing for hours and hours.
Do not get me wrong, I don´t want to say that your problem is not enough practice. I only wan´t you to think about it. :)
I personally use only "my way" if I have tried it for month the "proper" way.

Not a good example for "proper" technique but for long work ;)
The "hendrix style" e shape with thumb.....
It tooks me 100+ hours...but after all it was possible and I´m now able to play hendrix tunes his way.
I think it was worth the work.
Yes i know a bad example because it´s not a proper technique for e shape bar chords ;).
But I learnd the "right" one first so I can play both. That´s the way you should think. First the "proper" way, then alternative techniques.
You can only judge which technique is better for you if you master both.

But thats only my personal opinion. It´s your decision :)
There are a lot of great guitarists with own techniques...like knopfler, hendrix and so on..... ;)
But I think I'm not as awesome as these guys.....so I prefer the "normal" way ;)

Gazrovers

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »
I really struggle with playing Bb and B chords :( it feels like i have to really have to bend my wrist

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 07:18:14 am »
I really struggle with playing Bb and B chords :( it feels like i have to really have to bend my wrist
you are not alone ... when I was still a youngster learning songs on my acoustic I used (I still have) a Bob Dylan book .. old and battered now ... and a 100 Songs for Buskers book .... and used to curse that so many of the songs were in keys that needed barre chords at frets 1 and 2 ...

it will come, gotta practice and build strength plus technique
 :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:47:06 pm by close2u »

Diesel McGunner

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:05:37 pm »
Should I work on muting the 1st string, it is technically supposed to be ringing out which it does but everyone else seems to mute it?

I'm not sure exactly what's going on here. Barre chords were supposed to be the hardest thing to learn, especially as I have tiny hands, but I learnt the E shape in about a minute, it just happened. Then the A shape is supposed to be really hard but I got that pretty much straight away too, except for that all of the notes ring out, as though I'm playing with all four fingers but I'm using just 1 and 3. I guess I'm kind of lucky to have just the right shape hands or whatever and barre chords are quite easy for me.

But anyway, should I be trying to play muting the highest note? When I just naturally play an A shape barre it comes out as all five strings quite clearly, which is technically correct but still if most people play it muting the 1st it will sound different.

Les Mikel

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:22:36 pm »
Hey,

I just can't play a a shape barre on the lower part on the neck. They really hurt and I just cant get the note ring out clean. I try to play this chord for over a few months now. I recently tried to play the chord with my pinky for the barre and not my 3rd finger. That works out very well. I get the notes clean and I can change to it pretty fast.

Is this a proper technique or should I learn the barre with my 3rd finger?

Offline knighty 1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »

i've been practising my A shape barre chord  and its coming along fine thankfully.
 My queary is , since learning my E shape barres ive got used to using my middle finger for added pressure as justin shows in the E shape 7 and minor 7th. i  now do this on my A shapes is this ok ,it works and i can get to other chords quicker than having my middle and pinky under the fret board :)

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 01:59:45 pm »
@ knighty 1

I believe in having as many options open to you as possible.

The E7 and Emin7 grips he shows allow you to use your middle finger for extra pressure. However, there are other common grips for those chords (that I believe I've seen Justin use) that don't allow you to do that, as they require all three fingers. The A shape is a little different in that there really isn't a whole lot else you can do with that middle finger even if you wanted to (As I write this, I think of a chord shape that would...).

I'll admit I use an extra finger to "reinforce" a barre at times (min 6 at some frets comes to mind). But I'm trying to strengthen my fingers so I don't have to. So I guess I'm saying do what you have to do to make the chords sound good and your changes clean while you're learning. Then try to remove as many "crutches" as you can (we probably all have some that we're stuck with).

Then again, I've also spent hours practicing to be able to get the thin E string to ring out when playing a Fender (for those who don't know, Gibson and Fender guitar necks have slightly different widths and length's. A Fender's neck is narrower) by angling my finger so it points a bit down toward the bridge while keeping a good firm grip on all the strings.  I guess I'm just anal that way.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:01:47 am by close2u »
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 04:40:56 pm »
it works and i can get to other chords quicker than having my middle and pinky under the fret board

If you are putting fingers "under" the fretboard, you are doing something wrong ( that likely has to do with arm/wrist angle ).

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

77sahar77

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 03:14:54 pm »
I want to know if muting the thin E string is necesary because when I playing the A shape barre chords I succeed to bend my ring finger enough to unmute the string but Justin recommend to mute this string.
So what is the right thing to do?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 05:08:09 pm »
The note E is part of the A chord, so it isn't "wrong" to let it ring out. If it sounds good in what you're playing, let it ring. If it doesn't, mute it. Simplistic answer I know, but there you go.

Since the highest notes determine the melody, being able to keep it unmuted will help you if you go on to play 'melodic' chord progressions later on.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:01:12 am by close2u »
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App