Author Topic: IM-128 • Ear Training Exercises  (Read 11103 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:06:38 pm by close2u »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

LESbum

Re: IM-128 • Ear Training Exercises
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:07:00 am »
In Rhythmic Dictation, each set is played twice, not 3 times, as the website states.  It almost made me question my ability to count.  ;)

Also, the writing convention for beats and stops used in the answer sheet is different from the one taught in TB-010 How To Read Rhythms.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:30:50 am by LESbum »

Offline Razzmatazz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:37:07 am »
I'm doing pretty well with the chord exercises and the major scale (much better than I thought I would, actually - my scale exercises were perfect from the first go), but the rhythm just utterly baffles me. I've got some experience with note reading so I'm quite familiar with the notation, but I just can't seem to figure out the counting with rests. I'm particularly having trouble with hearing the difference between a quarter note clap and an eighth note clap + quaver rest. I've tried different pausing techniques and went through an exercise a dozen times, but trying to write it down just breaks my brain :(.

I've been pretty good with putting rhythm in practice too, figuring out strumming patterns is usually pretty quick for me. Any additional hints on the rhythm ear training exercises though?

reeve sinclair

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 01:58:15 pm »
does anyone know the answers? i can't download them. my computer's really slow. Thanks

donZabol

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:54:23 am »
I don't see link to the answers

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:53 pm »
I don't see link to the answers

scroll all the way down you'll see this link.

donZabol

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »
Blind I Was, Thanks

Saphira

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »
I have a question on the rhythm part of this.  When you have a rhythm that goes something like  1  (rest on 2)  &  3   4  should I not tie the &  3 as 1/8 notes together.  ( sorry, I'm trying to make something up so I don't give away answers)  I know Justin's answers to this problem just wondering the official thinking on this. If either way is correct, or if you don't tie when the up beat comes 1st. 

I know on an instrument like trumpet you can "hold" the note longer, but when clapping I don't think Justin can "hold his clapping" a little longer. 

Did anyone even get what I'm desperately trying to ask?

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 08:39:13 pm »
Part C seems like a flawed exercise.  It is impossible to distinguish rests from tied notes with clapping.  It took a few listens before I could even hear the clapping over the sound of the metronome in bar 1.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R, Boss Katana Mini

hulv

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 01:16:41 pm »
Are not there a mistake in rhytm 2C #1 exercise? In the 3rd beat or time (that's how google translated that word) there are 3/4 but other beats has 4/4

Offline keith789

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 09:52:34 pm »
I have just tried this lesson and also cannot understand how to tell the length of a clap, why has no one answered this question?

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 12:39:47 pm »
Claps have no duration.  They occur in an instant.  Like a drum beat, a clap cannot be assigned a duration.  A clap is not a quarter note or eighth note.  You cannot tell the difference between a quarter note clap and an eighth note clap with an eight note rest because claps are instantaneous.

In Exercise 2C, you are NOT trying to determine the duration of a clap.  Like Justin says in the video; write a time line out and figure out WHERE the claps occur in time.  That is, write out:  1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+  for exercise 2C #1.  The cowbell is marking time on beat 1, 2, 3, and 4.  Where do the claps occur?

I don't hear a mistake on 2C #1 exercise.  There's a four cowbell beat lead-in.  Perhaps the first beat was missed??

There are NO tied notes in exercise 2C.  When you have a rhythm that goes something like  1,  (rest on 2),  &,  3,   4,  you might want to tie together the notes on 1 and 2.  This increases the duration of note 1 and shows that the beat occurs on 2.  It might make the music easier to read.  Wiki has an article on ties and their use.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tie_%28music%29
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline keith789

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 09:52:53 pm »
Thanks for the help, I have had another go at the exercise and can mark the claps on a 1+2+3 etc but then converting this to rests still seems like a flawed task to me as Justin is clapping on both "count" and "and" beats so how do you know if a rest is a 1/4 or 1/8 note? It looks like from the answer sheet that if the clap is on the "and" it is always an 1/8 note but surely this is not necessarily so. Is it not possible to have for example a 1/4 note followed by an 1/8 rest followed by another 1/4 note which would be starting on the "and" not the "count"?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 10:21:56 pm »
Is it not possible to have for example a 1/4 note followed by an 1/8 rest followed by another 1/4 note which would be starting on the "and" not the "count"?

If I understand what your asking.
If a 1/4 note is followed by an 1/8 note the 1/8 note is the and.
If a 1/4 note is followed by an 1/8 rest the 1/8 rest is the and
If a 1/4 note is followed by an 1/8 rest followed by a 1/4 note the 1/8 rest is still the and
the 1/4 note will fall on the count.

Offline keith789

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 09:54:09 pm »
Sorry but I cannot see how your last example works "If a 1/4 note is followed by an 1/8 rest followed by a 1/4 note the 1/8 rest is still the and the 1/4 note will fall on the count." I have tried to write this out:

count:      1  +  2  +  3  +   4  +
               |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
1/4 note   _____
1/8 rest             __   
1/4 note                _____

The first 1/4 note starts on the 1, the 1/8 rest starts on the 2 and the next 1/4 note starts on the and after the 2 not on the 3.
Looking at Justin's answers what he seems to have done is whenever he claps on an and but not on the count before he puts in a 1/8 rest on the count before and makes the clap a 1/8 note. But as has already been agreed the clap cannot have a duration yet he is writing some claps as 1/4 and some as 1/8. So I think that my real question is can a 1/4 note start in a bar at a 1/8 count (and) position? I have looked at a few music theory books and sites and cannot find an answer to this.
Thanks.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 01:12:21 pm »
So I think that my real question is can a 1/4 note start in a bar at a 1/8 count (and) position?

Yes, it can.  However, the reason you might do it one way or another is to make it easy to read.  The way to make it easy to read is to show stuff happening on the beats; that is, show the 1,2,3,4 count in the bar.

So if it's a 1/4 note rest, you show a 1/4 rest on the beat.  If it's an 1/8 note rest on the beat, you show an 1/8 note rest on the beat. 

An 1/8 note on the beat followed by an 1/8 note rest is equivalent to a 1/4 note on the beat in percussive notation IMHO.  Since we've agreed that the percussive sounds have no duration.

That's my point of view and I'm sticking to it.   :P
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline RevolutionarySpirits

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 08:58:32 pm »
I agree this lesson is very confusing.  If a clap has no duration (is not a quarter note clap or an eighth note clap), there is no way to arrive at Justin's answers. 

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:11 am »
If anyone is still having a problem with this...

2C

On each exercise you count in 1 2 3 4 Then you have 4 bars, then that 4 bars repeats(no count in the second time)

The claps have no duration in that they simply occur either on a beat or on an &. You are only counting to 1/4 or 1/8 notes. You are not trying to figure out how long they sustain, you are trying to determine which beat they occur on. IOW, their sound starts on a beat or an & and that's what you try to determine.

The easiest way is to count 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &...  have a pencil and make a mark each time you hear a clap. Aftyer 4& STOP... Now you know how many claps are in the first bar. Do it again to be sure.

Now after knowing the exact number of claps count 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & and tap you hand on the beat or & and it should line up with the claps.

so for 2C#3  your first bar should be C(1) & 2 & 3 C(&) C(4) &  so you clap/tap on 1, the & of 3, and 4.

The following bar your will clap on the 1 & 2 & to start....

Don't confuse note durations with meter or time division. This exercise is to discern time division and where a sound occurs. Do not concern yourself with how long the note lasts.

A guitar note might sustain for 3 bars so you might concern yourself with that. But right now you are trying to determine when in time do these sounds start. On which beat do they start. Each clap starts on either 1 2 3 4 OR the & of any of those.. .1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &  8 possibilities or 1/8th note. 1 2 3 4 = 1/4 note resolution and using the &s makes it 1/8th note resolution.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App