Author Topic: IM-126 • Open Position Note Reading  (Read 12109 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:05:13 pm by close2u »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

LESbum

Re: IM-126 • Open Position Note Reading
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:00:40 am »
I am only the only one who thinks separating lines and spaces is a bad idea when trying to memorize the notes?   It seems getting them down in order would be much easier for the brain, since you're following their natural sequence that way?

Offline thesnowdog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:15 am »
No you're not alone.  But that's the way I learnt as a young tyke so it's a bit difficult to unlearn what I have learned and test the theory. :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:01 am »
seems odd, but it's the way I learned and it worked for me. never tried teaching the other way. maybe I try it sometime and see if it works... but for now - lets stick with what we know works eh! ;)

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Ironcross83

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 03:54:09 pm »
In respect to the part where you hold down the bass notes while playing the other notes, do you play the first note and bass note at the same time and what finger would you use?

Machmood

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 07:13:17 am »
   I think it's a much better idea to buy one of those cheap guitar books and do it step bye step. For Instance first you learn the notes on the first string and it has  a few boring songs to play using only those notes. Then once you have that down it shows you the 2nd string and has a few songs using the 2nd string, then has songs using both strings and so on.  This step bye step process makes it 10000x easier then seeing a a bunch of notes and just trying to randomly memorize them. Actually you don't really need a book, just figure out the notes on the first string, print out some blank paper justin provides and just make up a "song" using only those strings. For instance just put 4 notes per bar for 8 bars using only notes on the first string, it doesn't have to sound good its just to get your mind/hand connection down.  as always use a metronome and work untill you just know the notes instinctively, then move on to the 2nd string etc.  Im pretty sure they sell song books using only the first position once you get all the strings and wanna put it into use. I think for the 10$ it cost to buy a book to learn the first position itll be worth it, if you cant afford it then just try what I said.

LESbum

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:37:23 pm »
Machmood, it seems to make even more sense to learn it one string at a time, thanks :)    Not that I'm questioning Justin's judgment, of course :P

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:21:01 am »
I think learning to read music is worthwhile.  Even if you're not a session musician, it's nice to be able to read and play a head (i.e. melody) from a fake book, or to play duet sheet music with family and friends that play instruments like violin or piano.

One of the better ways for learning to sight-read on guitar is William Leavitt's Modern Method for Guitar, published by Berklee Press (and, I believe, used at Berklee for guitar instruction).  Teaching the guitarist to read music is one of its main design goals.  The introduction says "This book has been specifically designed to accomplish two things:  1. To teach the student to read music... 2. For the gradual development of dexterity in both hands."

I think Justin's exercises and instruction do a great job of #2, already, but adding in 5-10 mins of the sight-reading exercises from A Modern Method for Guitar will definitely produce results for #1.

Offline Gibbon

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:59:54 pm »
One question. How do I know if it's notes in the open position? I can use the chart Justin made on the website, but what if I find a piece of music and not sure if it's played in the open position?

Need to know both how to tell if it's notes in the open position and also how to read them, but I think the first is more important at the moment!

Please help me and thanks beforehand.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 04:31:47 pm »
@gibbon

The short answer is you don't.  Which is why tab has become so popular.  Tab is argueably a better method for guitar.

So you don't really know until you come across a note that CANNOT be played in the open position.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Gibbon

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 04:48:09 pm »
Wow really? Thanks for answering, will have to look into this a lot more, I like it, but it seems very hard:P.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:08:45 pm »
Shadow's right.  If the piece is written for classical guitar, the standard notation will sometimes provide fret numbers to tell where to play the notes.

Like this: http://www.classicalguitarschool.net/music/1060.pdf
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Gibbon

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 08:27:30 pm »
That makes sense, I suppose. Thanks!

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:35 pm »
I am an old fart.  I remember pre-tab days... pre-internet...

I would get sheet music, the "vocal, guitar, and piano" of tunes.  Sometime you could dig out the guitar riffs out of the piano score.  All you really got for guitar was a chord symbol over the beat where it changed.

You would work out the part and then suddenly come to a note that "forced" you awkwardly out of position.  Then you would have to decide; was there somewhere could have shifted position earlier, should I start this whole section in the new position, are there other shifts... lot of work, re-work.

Shadow

Offline Gibbon

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 09:51:03 pm »
I guess some things became easier with the internet and all, but it must have felt really rewarding when done with transcribing a piece, ehh?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 10:28:18 pm »
Well to be honest if the "now me" could travel back to the "then me" I would take Justin's #1-best-ever-if-you-only-learn-one-thing-here piece of advice back in time to myself:

"PUT DOWN THE SHEET MUSIC AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO PLAY IT BY EAR!"  In other words, "TRANSCRIBE".  Then I didn't know I could learn to do that... aside from physically being able to play that is the most bang for the buck thing you can do to learn to play...

One man's opinion...

Shadow

Offline Gibbon

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 11:06:25 pm »
Yes they say that's why there were so many great guitar players from older times, they didn't have the internet so they got their ears trained in hearing good music and being able to hear when it sounds good or bad.

Offline Melsie

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 12:28:40 am »
I have a quick question:

I know that C4 is played at the first fret of the 2nd string. Normally I would expect C4 to be notated on the first ledger line below the stave, but in the music for this lesson, it's notated an octave higher (where I would expect C5). I know that usually when instruments are written an octave higher on the stave, there's a little 8 sign below the treble clef but there's not in this case.

So my question is: is the music on the lesson page written an octave higher, and is that standard for guitar music? I figure the answer is yes to both, because otherwise there would be too many ledger lines or a bass clef would be needed too like piano music, but I'm just looking for some confirmation. :)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 10:01:22 pm »
... is the music on the lesson page written an octave higher, and is that standard for guitar music?

I believe so, yes. I'm sure that Justin has said as much somewhere, but I had a quick read of the lesson page and couldn't see it there.

AFAIK, it's not the convention to show the octave symbol, just that the convention is to play an octave below the notation.

Offline Melsie

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 06:04:13 pm »
Thanks misterg, much appreciated. :)

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 07:14:08 pm »
Working diligently on this; I can already read sheet music (decades of piano help there) but the challenge is transcribing from the sheet music books I have to tab (I know, Justin said to do it by ear...).

I am trying to be able to quickly sight read and know the locations of the notes on the fretboard INSTANTLY.  As in not using having to take a few seconds to use the "octaves" method for strings 2-5, 3-5, 4-6 as described in the PMT book or IM lesson 116.

This is quite difficult; I truly feel for those who cannot even read sheet music as they have another layer of "code" to translate.  At least I know the notes off the sheet page but one of the challenges is finding the CORRECT, best-sounding note on the guitar.  Having the same "C" in like 3 places is baffling, then laying out the notes and determining what the proper fingering would be for them is incredibly difficult.

I wonder if this is something that is covered later in a different Justin course, or better suited to work through with a live person...

I am not trying to be Tommy Emmanuel, Sungha Jung or Gabriela Quevedo and arranging a pop song for fingerstyle - I'm just trying to lay out the melody/treble clef notes to make learning the fretboard more interesting.  The proper fingering once the notes are determined is really tough; I'm guessing you have to decide if you are going to strum or fingerpick, then that will drive how the song should be tabbed out.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:33:59 am by captainamerica »
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 03:59:28 am »
Justin doesn't emphasize note reading in the BC or IM. He has recently released a book though:

https://www.thejustinguitarstore.com/collections/books/products/the-justinguitar-note-reading-for-guitarists-book

I haven't seen it, but it might be of interest to you.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Get The Forum As A Mobile App