Author Topic: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2  (Read 44271 times)

Offline Stratofaster

• Good Vibes 0
Re: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2014, 10:44:34 am »
Is it normal that i can do all kinds of pattern without a pick smoothly , and when it comes to using a pick it sticks in the strings very often ?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 11:54:22 am »
Is it normal that i can do all kinds of pattern without a pick smoothly , and when it comes to using a pick it sticks in the strings very often ?

Yup! :)

What pick are you using?

The advice is to use a really thin, flexible pick to start with:

"Jim Dunlop Nylon Gauge: .38mm or .46mm
These are very thin and great for strumming. However, any very thin pick will be fine; just try and get as thin as possible. I think this type should be first choice for a beginner guitar player, as they are very forgiving when you are learning to strum. "

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-107-PicksHolding.php

If you're already using one of these, then I'm afraid it's just practice! :)

Offline Stratofaster

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2014, 02:12:14 pm »
Hi
I was using a 0.67 one , i just buy the 0.38 and it is a bit easier , thanks , with practice can i strum later with e 0.7 or even a 0.8 without problem ??

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2014, 02:58:20 pm »
Yes. In the meantime relax and loosen the grip on the pick, not quite to the point of loosing the pick. Keep the pick flat to the strings, not at an angle. If you angle the pick there is a component of force that makes the pick want to rotate in your fingers, and you have to grip tighter to control it. You want a light pick and grip so that your pick and fingertips give instead of the pick catching in the strings.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 04:27:30 am »
Hi
I was using a 0.67 one , i just buy the 0.38 and it is a bit easier , thanks , with practice can i strum later with e 0.7 or even a 0.8 without problem ??

yes. I mostly use a .88 pick now, but used much thinner before. Guitar picks are very personal. there is no wrong there. Some very good guitar players use quite thin picks while others use super heavy ones. It just depends what you want to do.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 12:20:45 pm »
I'm struggling with this pattern.

I can accent on the beat.

But struggling to accent every three strums even at a snails pace.

Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »

Start off painfully slow. 20bpm. Do muted strums with no accents and just count out the pattern verbally instead of in your head. Accent your voice so you're kind of shouting louder where the accented strums should be. I bit like a singer will accent certain words in a song. "1 ee & ah two ee & ah three ee & ah four ee & ah" are your lyrics. Once you're used to this you start strumming without the muting.

Through the course, any accents up until now have normally been on the beat and so you're synced your foot tapping with the accent in your head. Now the accents are sometimes on the beat and sometimes not and you don't have that connection. The accented shouting gives you a mental anchor on which to place the accented strums so you're syncing the strumming with your voice. Does that make sense?

Once you get it down at 20bpm you raise it up just 5bpm at a time. As it gets faster it's harder to count out verbally but by then it'll be getting into muscle memory and you might not have to do it all by actually shouting.

Also, give a good stamp on the beat with your foot. Some beats are accented and some not and it's harder to keep track of the beat when the accents can be anywhere in between.

I found watching my knee useful too. My knee is at it's lowest on the beat and highest on the '&s'. Sounds more complicated than it is written down but I found these things all helped me.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline lastnightilie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2014, 11:14:53 pm »
Am I the only one whose sense of rhythm totally falls apart at slower (<60 bpm) speeds? I guess that doesn't really make sense - you should either have a sense of rhythm or not have one - but it definitely happens to me.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 02:35:36 am »
Am I the only one whose sense of rhythm totally falls apart at slower (<60 bpm) speeds? I guess that doesn't really make sense - you should either have a sense of rhythm or not have one - but it definitely happens to me.

Nope. That's totally normal. Lower than 60 bpm is tough.

When I need to go lower than 60 I just set the metronome for double that and play every other beat (e.g. if I can only do 40, I set it at 80).

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2014, 10:54:40 am »

Start off painfully slow. 20bpm. Do muted strums with no accents and just count out the pattern verbally instead of in your head. Accent your voice so you're kind of shouting louder where the accented strums should be. I bit like a singer will accent certain words in a song. "1 ee & ah two ee & ah three ee & ah four ee & ah" are your lyrics. Once you're used to this you start strumming without the muting.

Through the course, any accents up until now have normally been on the beat and so you're synced your foot tapping with the accent in your head. Now the accents are sometimes on the beat and sometimes not and you don't have that connection. The accented shouting gives you a mental anchor on which to place the accented strums so you're syncing the strumming with your voice. Does that make sense?

Once you get it down at 20bpm you raise it up just 5bpm at a time. As it gets faster it's harder to count out verbally but by then it'll be getting into muscle memory and you might not have to do it all by actually shouting.

Also, give a good stamp on the beat with your foot. Some beats are accented and some not and it's harder to keep track of the beat when the accents can be anywhere in between.

I found watching my knee useful too. My knee is at it's lowest on the beat and highest on the '&s'. Sounds more complicated than it is written down but I found these things all helped me.

Sorry forgot to reply to this.

This really helped me. I can't believe how much I've improved in 6 days.

Thank you.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline Chronic

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2015, 05:21:48 pm »
Hello, So, I'm stuck on this lesson.  I just cannot tap my foot to the beat and play this rhythm. I've tried at the most slowest speed and still can't do it.  I can play the rhythm fine without foot tapping, but I just struggle with tapping on the beat.  My foot wants to tap on the accent. I just can't stop doing that.  My question is should I keep trying (which I've been working on for 2 months) or move on?  This is the last thing that I haven't worked out in IM foundation 2. 

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2015, 06:00:08 pm »
Can you listen only with out playing and tap correctly?  Do that more.

Can you clap the rhythm while tapping correctly?  Do that more.

Can you simplify the rhythm, or eliminate the accent, and tap correctly? 

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Boris.Toninski

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2015, 05:19:23 pm »
I'm practicing this pattern for some time and now I want to try it with some real songs.

Can someone suggest some songs except Faith, that are using this pattern?

Thanks!

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2015, 08:37:50 pm »
Only started working on this lesson this week and the plan is to progress through RUST DVD 2 patterns 24 to 27, the latter being covered by this lesson.

Interesting to go back over the last 5 years of comments in this thread, to find I'm not the only one having trouble adding the foot taps !

Guess slowing down to 20 bpm or so is the answer but should I be foot tapping to start with ? If I count the
One e & a 2 e AND a 3 e & a FOUR e & a for example I can strum in sync. Add the foot I'll tap One Two And Four missing the 3 entirely. So should I just slow down and tap or just count to start with?

Secondly I normally use a .6 or .73 max grip for rhythm - Dunlop III for scales - I'm still heavy handed when strumming with little or no finesse, so should I think about going back to a .46 or .38 for these techniques ? I remember someone saying sometime back (possibly Drubbing or Bradt?) that they only got a feel for playing softly when they started learning accents, so should I just grind on with the thicker picks?

Just about seen off my F barre Nemesis after 21 months, to have it replaced by a new one and the A shape barre to come  :(
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2015, 11:54:29 pm »
AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
I think summarises my attempts at this so far without resorting to uncouth language!

After several days trying, I managed to get it right for 4 complete bars earlier including foot tapping, then it all fell apart, and I wanted to cry. How can something that appears so simple be so hard?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2015, 11:03:44 am »
OK, just updated this with a bunch of new tips :) hope it helps!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2015, 11:57:42 pm »
New tips look good, however I know where my problem lies.

I can play the rhythm perfectly well without foot tapping, but I have a mental link between the accent and foot tapping. I need to break that mental link, which ultimately comes down to plenty of slow practise :\

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2015, 11:20:55 am »
I just couldn't tap my foot. I found it distracting but now I bob my head and everything else when I get into it!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2015, 07:50:53 am »
Keep practicing tapping your foot it will be a great help moving forward.
I find that my foot goes all by itself. Can't really play without it tapping anymore and it seems to be part of me playing now. Just need to keep at it and it will come natural. The foot is a great tool.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2015, 08:27:38 pm »
Yes i will. I think I'm so chuffed that I've learned to 'play'  that I'm rushing everything. I'll take your advice and concentrate more on lessons and less on hammering out more and more songs. :)

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2015, 09:47:08 am »
My problem is that all chord changes are smooth in the sense that as I change from one chord to the next, the previous chord (or at least some of the strings from it) continues to ring a bit as I hit the second one...so there is some flow/continuity to the sound. 

Except: as I go from C/G to F, as soon as I release the C/G chord, all its sound instantly stops, so when I hit the F chord a second later, it's a jerky stop/start sound. 

Am I doing anything wrong...is there any way to keep the C/G chord ringing a bit as I hit the next chord? Thanks...Suzi

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2015, 05:38:05 pm »
No, that is the nature of the strings and that happens to everyone. The trick is to practice so much that you do not hear the changes happening. It is easier in a band setting but playing alone you easily focus on the changes.
The C/G chord and others have most strings fretted and therefore almost all the strings gets muted when releasing the grip.
I wouldn't worry too much, it'll come to you in due time. Just make sure to play loads of songs and your changes will start to smoothen, so to speak.

/Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline OrangeCitric

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2016, 09:36:33 pm »
This thread looks like it's been inactive for a while, but meh, I'll try to ask anyway.

I can play this pattern perfectly, even doing the muting thing and changing chords (I'd say) flawlessly. But I can't count along to it or tap my feet along, I get lost after the "a" of the first beat. I'm pretty frustrated that I can't even play it at 20 bpm without stopping, but I can play it so much faster if I just let it groove.

How could I fix this?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2016, 10:07:17 pm »
This might make it worse, but is how I got it down in the way back.

First try to get it down at with 8th notes.

So,

ONE and two AND three and FOUR and one AND two and THREE and four and.

Also it helped me to put the guitar down, tap my foot counting aloud, and to throwing my head down on the accented down beats and then back up on the accented up beats.  Looked and sounded like an idiot I am sure.  But helped me get the foot tap thinking 8th notes.

Then once that was natural I repeated that for 16th notes as shown in the lesson.  You just eliminate every other foot tap.

Worked for me.  But I can see how it could make things worse for some folks.

Oh, also, find a song that uses the rhythm in either 8th of 16th form and learn it.  Having a bass and snare thumping and whacking while you doing the syncopation helps.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2016, 01:47:02 pm »
Slow is the name of the game for this one and perseverance  :-\

But Shadow's suggestions will help, as it was the accented head bobbing that finally did it for me  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Get The Forum As A Mobile App