Author Topic: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2  (Read 35436 times)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
Re: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 10:17:06 am »
It has been years for me, and on this one pattern I have never been able to do it either., and I alwazs tap my foot and bounce my leg around and all sorts... I have learnt to live with it, but deep down inside I feel deficient somehow.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 07:08:57 pm »
I started off really slowly.......like 20bpm slow and waited until I could do around 3 mins with no mistakes then raised it to 25bpm and repeated. It does get harder once you hit around 80bpm.

What I did was really stamp your foot on the beat as you're building up the speed and shout out the accented strums to implant them in your brain  :) It's harder to do at faster speeds but once you have it raising the tempo is a little easier.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline Slowtwitch

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 10:18:22 am »
After me posting here yesterday, I decided to give the foot tapping another go with new determination and focus - at very slow speed...

Any hey presto!

I managed it ok for approx. a minute at a time before fumbling up, 30-40bpm, but at least it is a start

:D

Offline FCBfan

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 04:35:08 pm »
I'm having a go at this.... real slow + foottapping... not easy.
Muted struming ok, but then just one chord and I'm thrown off.  :D
After a while, however, it starts to work.

Patience and persistence !

Offline FCBfan

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:28 am »
Me again...
this one will take a while.

Justin suggests to start slowly at 60bpm.
Well, this is way to fast for me to start of with.

I think, to get going at this + foottapping and strumming an actual open chord (which is strangely enough more upsetting than muted strumming) : 44 bpm.

Are you sure you're comfortable to up the tempo ? Try making a chord change from eg G to C... from bar 1 to bar 2, or within the bar at the 3th beat for example.

Offline Stratofaster

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2014, 10:44:34 am »
Is it normal that i can do all kinds of pattern without a pick smoothly , and when it comes to using a pick it sticks in the strings very often ?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 11:54:22 am »
Is it normal that i can do all kinds of pattern without a pick smoothly , and when it comes to using a pick it sticks in the strings very often ?

Yup! :)

What pick are you using?

The advice is to use a really thin, flexible pick to start with:

"Jim Dunlop Nylon Gauge: .38mm or .46mm
These are very thin and great for strumming. However, any very thin pick will be fine; just try and get as thin as possible. I think this type should be first choice for a beginner guitar player, as they are very forgiving when you are learning to strum. "

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-107-PicksHolding.php

If you're already using one of these, then I'm afraid it's just practice! :)

Offline Stratofaster

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2014, 02:12:14 pm »
Hi
I was using a 0.67 one , i just buy the 0.38 and it is a bit easier , thanks , with practice can i strum later with e 0.7 or even a 0.8 without problem ??

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2014, 02:58:20 pm »
Yes. In the meantime relax and loosen the grip on the pick, not quite to the point of loosing the pick. Keep the pick flat to the strings, not at an angle. If you angle the pick there is a component of force that makes the pick want to rotate in your fingers, and you have to grip tighter to control it. You want a light pick and grip so that your pick and fingertips give instead of the pick catching in the strings.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 04:27:30 am »
Hi
I was using a 0.67 one , i just buy the 0.38 and it is a bit easier , thanks , with practice can i strum later with e 0.7 or even a 0.8 without problem ??

yes. I mostly use a .88 pick now, but used much thinner before. Guitar picks are very personal. there is no wrong there. Some very good guitar players use quite thin picks while others use super heavy ones. It just depends what you want to do.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 12:20:45 pm »
I'm struggling with this pattern.

I can accent on the beat.

But struggling to accent every three strums even at a snails pace.

Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »

Start off painfully slow. 20bpm. Do muted strums with no accents and just count out the pattern verbally instead of in your head. Accent your voice so you're kind of shouting louder where the accented strums should be. I bit like a singer will accent certain words in a song. "1 ee & ah two ee & ah three ee & ah four ee & ah" are your lyrics. Once you're used to this you start strumming without the muting.

Through the course, any accents up until now have normally been on the beat and so you're synced your foot tapping with the accent in your head. Now the accents are sometimes on the beat and sometimes not and you don't have that connection. The accented shouting gives you a mental anchor on which to place the accented strums so you're syncing the strumming with your voice. Does that make sense?

Once you get it down at 20bpm you raise it up just 5bpm at a time. As it gets faster it's harder to count out verbally but by then it'll be getting into muscle memory and you might not have to do it all by actually shouting.

Also, give a good stamp on the beat with your foot. Some beats are accented and some not and it's harder to keep track of the beat when the accents can be anywhere in between.

I found watching my knee useful too. My knee is at it's lowest on the beat and highest on the '&s'. Sounds more complicated than it is written down but I found these things all helped me.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline lastnightilie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2014, 11:14:53 pm »
Am I the only one whose sense of rhythm totally falls apart at slower (<60 bpm) speeds? I guess that doesn't really make sense - you should either have a sense of rhythm or not have one - but it definitely happens to me.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 02:35:36 am »
Am I the only one whose sense of rhythm totally falls apart at slower (<60 bpm) speeds? I guess that doesn't really make sense - you should either have a sense of rhythm or not have one - but it definitely happens to me.

Nope. That's totally normal. Lower than 60 bpm is tough.

When I need to go lower than 60 I just set the metronome for double that and play every other beat (e.g. if I can only do 40, I set it at 80).

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2014, 10:54:40 am »

Start off painfully slow. 20bpm. Do muted strums with no accents and just count out the pattern verbally instead of in your head. Accent your voice so you're kind of shouting louder where the accented strums should be. I bit like a singer will accent certain words in a song. "1 ee & ah two ee & ah three ee & ah four ee & ah" are your lyrics. Once you're used to this you start strumming without the muting.

Through the course, any accents up until now have normally been on the beat and so you're synced your foot tapping with the accent in your head. Now the accents are sometimes on the beat and sometimes not and you don't have that connection. The accented shouting gives you a mental anchor on which to place the accented strums so you're syncing the strumming with your voice. Does that make sense?

Once you get it down at 20bpm you raise it up just 5bpm at a time. As it gets faster it's harder to count out verbally but by then it'll be getting into muscle memory and you might not have to do it all by actually shouting.

Also, give a good stamp on the beat with your foot. Some beats are accented and some not and it's harder to keep track of the beat when the accents can be anywhere in between.

I found watching my knee useful too. My knee is at it's lowest on the beat and highest on the '&s'. Sounds more complicated than it is written down but I found these things all helped me.

Sorry forgot to reply to this.

This really helped me. I can't believe how much I've improved in 6 days.

Thank you.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App