Author Topic: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2  (Read 35438 times)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 187
Re: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 07:39:53 pm »
Keep upping your speed each day by 5 or 10 beat when your practicing and you'll get to 120 or higher
in no time.
As for playing song like Pinball Wizard you have to do the same thing, start slow enough where you don't
make mistakes and each day practice it a little faster.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 12:48:01 am »
It depends on what style of music you want to play. I know it's a generic answer, but it's the truth. If you want to play shred lead guitar you have to be able to go a lot faster than someone playing country rhythms.

If you told us a few songs that you wanted to be able to play we could probably help you out more. If your metronome has a 'tap' tempo feature, you can listen to one of your 'goal' songs and tap in the beat - that will give you a number to go for. Actually your goal should be a bit higher so your not trying to perform at your maximum - you want to be performing in your 'comfort zone' which will always be a bit slower.

I play acoustic guitar, one of the songs is "The Who - Pinball Wizard". I just wanna set a max speed goal (a long term goal) so if i want to play any other song i don't have to start practicing all over again. I don't know if i make myself clear i'm not so good at english  :-\

Just a rough tapping into my drum machine/metronome tells me Pinball Wizard is somewhere around 120-130 bpm.

But keep in mind - 1/8th notes at 120bpm are slower than 16th notes at 90. So even setting a bpm goal isn't really the end all and be all of speed. Just set your metronome to go only as fast as you can play the most difficult section with NO mistakes. Then slowly work your way up from there.

There really are no shortcuts. Practicing one minute chords changes and scale runs will help - one more than the other if you're focused more on lead or rhythm, as will playing other music - don't focus on just one piece or you can fall into the trap of learning a memorized 'groove' instead of being able to play whatever comes your way.

I believe strongly in learning to sight read - which means looking at music to a song you've never heard before and being able to play it from what's written there.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline samiosh

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 01:55:02 am »
Thank you for your reply.

Well i have an acoustic so i only play rhythm guitar, I always practice my 16th notes strumming with a metronome for 5mn every day and i speed up only when i feel very comfortable with it, so i'll follow your advice and keep practicing like you told me and i'll not worry that much about the speed  :D

about sight reading, i only play guitar as a hobby so i don't think i'll need that.

Thank you everybody so much for the help ^^

Offline jabiodriozola

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 11:00:07 am »
Hello:

could i get the 16th strumming patterns and try to apply them to a song that i've been playing with diferent 8th strumming patterns?
i suppose the answer is "yes"
but i prefer to ask...

sorry for the spelling of my english!!

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 04:28:50 pm »
The question isn't, whether it's 8th note or 16th note strumming, it's whether or not the rhythm played with the pattern fits the song. Just try it out and see, what fits best.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 05:23:55 pm »
Hello:

could i get the 16th strumming patterns and try to apply them to a song that i've been playing with diferent 8th strumming patterns?
i suppose the answer is "yes"
but i prefer to ask...

sorry for the spelling of my english!!

Yes, he's got a few in the lessons here and there. I think most of his 16th note patterns are on his strumming DVD's though.

Practice doing straight 16th note strumming first - then start leaving some notes out, or putting some in between an eighth not here and there.

Note: once you can do 16th note strumming consistently, you can use it to change any 8th note strumming pattern into all downstrums (or all upstrums for that matter).
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Gibbon

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 10:30:50 pm »
A yes or no question here: I can do this pattern perfectly, part from one thing. When I do the second accent I lift my foot, but I'm not tapping it until the "2"(when I'm supposed to!) so is this a problem? I think I normally, without thinking about it, lift my foot at the same time as my hand is going upwards on the beat before the actual tapping, but will this be a problem here? Since I'm actually tapping on the right beat and I can play this and all other strumming patterns until now without any problems

If so I believe it'll be taking me years to unlearn, I didn't even know I was doing it, until now:(

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 187
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 10:53:20 pm »
As long as you're tapping on the beat. I see no problem

Offline lastnightilie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 12:42:51 am »
@Gibbon, I think it's natural to pick up your foot on the beat before you tap... like when you are counting eighth notes and tapping on quarter notes, you would tap on the numbers and pick up your foot during the &s.

My question: I have a lot of experience with rhythms from music theory classes and things, and I have never had a problem (that I can remember) with tapping on the beat. However I never really learned how to play/count with accents until I did this lesson. I found it really easy to play the pattern (the counting in threes thing helped me a lot), and with a bit of effort it wasn't so hard to count with accents (like saying out loud "ONE e and A two e AND a..." and now I can easily count that way and do the accents at the same time, in time with a metronome. I cannot for the life of me do the foot taps. I'm trying really hard.

From all you foot tapping advocates, what is the downside of being able to play something in time with a beat but not being able to tap your foot only on the downbeat? I'll probably keep trying but I don't really see why it matters.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 01:10:36 pm »
From all you foot tapping advocates, what is the downside of being able to play something in time with a beat but not being able to tap your foot only on the downbeat? I'll probably keep trying but I don't really see why it matters. 

It helps to know where you are in time in a score.  On which beat in which measure.   :) 
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 03:39:13 pm »
Should I be trying to change chords while strumming this patter ? Or for that matter any of the other patterns in the Intermediate course?

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 03:45:03 pm »
once you have the pattern down comfortably, yes.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 08:35:57 pm »
And until you have it down, no.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Majinn

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 12:12:23 pm »
Wow, I was goig to post something on here but lots of people seem to have had my problem.

I guess I will just have to slow things right down! Thanks to every one who took the time to post something on here, lots of useful reading material.

Majinn

Offline Slowtwitch

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 07:24:49 am »
I also struggle with foot tapping with this pattern.

Slowing things down, even waaaaay down does not seam to work for me.

I've got this pattern (and variations) waxed and playing chord progressions using it without any issues - up to about 100bpm. I actually have the next pattern in IM3 waxed as well - with proper foot tapping, leaving out notes, mixing it up etc, but for the life of me I can't get the foot tapping happening on beats 2 and 3 with this pattern.

I've been at it for a few months now and normally I've very good at tapping beats and independence of my hands and feet (almost like drummers), but this one... :-[

Get The Forum As A Mobile App