Author Topic: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2  (Read 35399 times)

Yithpistol

Re: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 12:00:28 am »
I am having the very likely common problem of tapping my foot on the accent. I think this was enforced by starting out with accenting the first beat when learning the 16th note strumming. My muscles seem to associate the accent with a foot tap. Everytime I accent a beat my foot goes to tap it. Drives me crazy. I always drag this part of the regimen past 5 mins and into 10 or 15 because I feel like I am almost there.

So I guess the consensus here is to do it REALLY SLOWLY. I had some progress letting each metronome beat represent an 8th note. When the beat is too slow (30-40) it presents a totally new problem of trying to play evenly through a large gap of time between beats.

So Day 3 on IF-2 and I am still trudging through this accent pattern. Still, it seems a really great way to learn to play & count & "think" complicated rhythms. I have a feeling when I get through this I will be very proud of myself.

Any other advice on getting the foot in control and independent of the accent?

Offline jerronimo3000

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 01:20:39 am »
like you said, you just have to do it very very very very very slowly.  Try counting out loud, without playing your guitar, and stress the #, ee, and, or uh for the accent that you would normally play.  Tap your foot only on the number.  This should help you associate the number with a foot tap and not an accented syllable.  Once you can do this, get your guitar and continue saying the rhythm out loud while you play.  As always, start slow.  :)

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 09:59:17 pm »
Something somewhat related, I have huge trouble playing a reggae beat at full speed (16th note strummin)

When I do it slow I can say "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" and tap on 1-2-3-4 and strum on the &'s, but when I speed it up I really have to focus ALOT to keep strumming on the and's. Dont have it SOMEHOW with accents when I was tapping in IM-2 lol, weird huh?

You'd think that that would be harder (accents)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 05:34:02 pm »
What songs do people know that use this Bo Diddley pattern? I have never listened to any Bo Diddley before. The ones that I have heard are

Faith - George Michael
Le Freak - Chic

and various George Thorogood songs.

What others do people know?
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 01:45:55 pm »
Any of you that are struggling to keep your foot going solid while you're doing the 16th strumming patterns, including the accents - by far the best thing you can do is to practice at a slow to medium tempo, forget the accents, and just really work on getting a really strong down feeling on the beat. A solid tab of the foot combined with that down strum on the beat is what you really after.

Of course, playing with a metronome as well should help you keep the tempo even and consistent too.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

DeathMagnetic

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 02:19:14 pm »
How well should I be able to play this before moving ahead to the next rhythm-lesson?

I can play it right now with the accents and foot tapping only on the beat, without a problem. I can't count that good in my head though. I can't count the beats only (like: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4), but I can count 1-e-&-a-2-e-&-a and so on.

Should I move the the next, or should the counting be 100% before?

augiewaz

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 08:35:37 pm »
Does anyone know what speed we should be going up to on the metronome for this?
I can go up to 90 without issues, slowing working up towards 100.

I dont want to know in the sense of being super fast but more what kind of speed could you expect a song that incorporates such a rhythm to be played at.

Thanks

Offline filiped

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 10:47:01 pm »
hi everyone.

excuse me, so, in the future I still gotta tap de foot on the beat?
is much harder to be playing a song while thinking about it. It realy goes instinctly?

Can do it, but I still get lost in the midle of the patern sometimes and gotta stop and think about what I was doing.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 11:03:57 pm »
Tapping your foot is not just for beginners. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJ1k2HMoRU

I always tap mine EXCEPT in this Bo Diddly pattern, which I still cant quite get. So, I am a bad boy.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 187
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 12:03:41 am »
Tapping your foot or bobbing your head will become natural as your internal metronome kicks in.
Watch Justin when he's playing a song. He keeps in the groove by bobbing his head.
http://justinguitar.com/en/SB-301-HoleHearted-Extreme.php

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 02:34:30 am »
Yeah, it's weird. As you keep doing it, you find yourself eventually just tapping it the rhythm without even realizing it, or even trying. Trust me. I have always had absolutely no rhythm at all, so it's weird to me to suddenly realize that I am tapping along sometimes.

The neat part about it is that it is teaching you to internalize the rhythm instead of having it as something just out there in the song to keep up with. It's not about your foot at all really, it's about making you the metronome.

Eventually it's not something you try to do, or want to do, or need to do. It's just something you do without realizing it.

Offline samiosh

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 02:39:37 pm »

I dont want to know in the sense of being super fast but more what kind of speed could you expect a song that incorporates such a rhythm to be played at.

Thanks

Well this is my question too... i keep practicing slowely (i'm around 70 now) but i want to set a goal like strumming 16th notes at 120 bpm or something...
Any advice???
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:24:43 pm by samiosh »

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 187
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 03:37:13 pm »
Get a metronome that has a increase speed feature. One that you can set to increase the clicks after
X amount of beat after X amount of time. So if your comfortable at 70bpm then start at 60bpm and have
the metronome increase the speed by 2 beats every 10 seconds until you start making mistakes.
then start at 70bpm. Keep doing this for 5 minutes every time you practice and you'll get faster in no
time.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 09:26:35 pm »

Thanks

Well this is my question too... i keep practicing slowely (i'm around 70 now) but i want to set a goal like strumming 16th notes at 120 bpm or something...
Any advice???

It depends on what style of music you want to play. I know it's a generic answer, but it's the truth. If you want to play shred lead guitar you have to be able to go a lot faster than someone playing country rhythms.

If you told us a few songs that you wanted to be able to play we could probably help you out more. If your metronome has a 'tap' tempo feature, you can listen to one of your 'goal' songs and tap in the beat - that will give you a number to go for. Actually your goal should be a bit higher so your not trying to perform at your maximum - you want to be performing in your 'comfort zone' which will always be a bit slower.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline samiosh

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 07:25:57 pm »
It depends on what style of music you want to play. I know it's a generic answer, but it's the truth. If you want to play shred lead guitar you have to be able to go a lot faster than someone playing country rhythms.

If you told us a few songs that you wanted to be able to play we could probably help you out more. If your metronome has a 'tap' tempo feature, you can listen to one of your 'goal' songs and tap in the beat - that will give you a number to go for. Actually your goal should be a bit higher so your not trying to perform at your maximum - you want to be performing in your 'comfort zone' which will always be a bit slower.

I play acoustic guitar, one of the songs is "The Who - Pinball Wizard". I just wanna set a max speed goal (a long term goal) so if i want to play any other song i don't have to start practicing all over again. I don't know if i make myself clear i'm not so good at english  :-\

Get The Forum As A Mobile App