Author Topic: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2  (Read 44273 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:08:03 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:02:27 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

player-one

Re: IM-125 • Intermediate Rhythm Guitar 2
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:27:13 pm »
general strumming question:

when it comes to strumming ( playing with just one guitar).. should we be counting constantly with fixed pattern or just let it flow freely?

i kinda let it flow but sometimes i am not sure if i am in time

flyhead

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »
As long as you master being able to play perfectly in the prescribed pattern, then yes, let it all hang out. If you are unable to keep a perfect pattern going, then no, you need to work on technique and timing; playing freely cannot be a soft option for lack of practice.

player-one

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »
thanks!

i have been wandering around 'intermediate' level for a couple of years and was learning via online/books etc.

I have been able to stick to 'prescribed pattern' usually though not practising with a metronome which is a big mistake.
When I strum, I tend to (without thinking) vary the pattern and accents slightly on each chord change just to keep things interesting throughout the song. I do aim to change it on time and kinda use my tapping foot/head as a guide to timing.

Question is if that is ok or if I should always stick to the same pattern, but let it subconsciously flow?

ps: I am glad Justin made this intermediate series because now i can really go through the basics and get a solid foundation. Thanks!!

flyhead

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 06:54:58 pm »
When practicing strumming, keep it technical and by the book. When performing, follow your instincts. It is often said of guitarists that there are few who are truly accomplshed or dependable rythm players. It's worth putting the work into honing your skills in this regard; when you do eventually vary your patterns you will be able to do so whilst keeping perfect time.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:01:42 pm »
playing the one pattern real good is a great skill to develop. When you play "for real" there are bound to be some little variations, but on the whole it should lock into some kinda groove!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Ironcross83

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:32:31 pm »
I can do the accent pattern ok and almost in time but as soon as I put my foot in I cant seem to stay on the pattern more than one bar, im thrown out of time and everything goes to a big mess... Any suggestions for me?

flyhead

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »
Learn to do it incrementally. Just combine muted strumming with foot-tapping (it helps to use a metronome or perhaps a backing track) before incorporating chord changes.

TheCircle

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 11:26:05 am »
Great lesson, really like this pattern. I've got the strumming going really good at any speed,playing along to a metronome to keep in time, BUT, as soon as I attempt to tap my foot, well, you know the rest. I played muted long with metronome solid listening to the beats and keeping the strumming perfect. Maybe this is a good way of just putting the beat into your subconscious?  ???

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 02:45:54 pm »
...as I attempt to tap my foot...

Hate to go all "wu wu", but...  Don't attempt to tap your foot, let the foot tap itself.  It will find the beat.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

TimHelcycles

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 06:02:19 am »
I had big difficulties with this,. I could play the pattern, but once I added the counting and foot tapping, it was impossible. Solution is to play it really slowly, 'cos almost everything is possible if you do it slow enough. There's still lots of practise to do with this, but now I can play it in moderate speed.

inthewind

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 01:18:50 pm »
I was also having problems with the foot tap.  Then about a week ago I noticed I was unconsciously tapping right along with the metronome.  Of course as soon as I noticed it all went to crap.  "The more you think .... "

Svenshinhan

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 08:28:27 pm »
It took me a few days to get the foot tapping to actually be on the beats instead of the accents.

At first, as soon as I started tapping my foot, either I'd put the accents on the tap, or I'd tap my foot on every accent. Speed mattered little, it was just mentally difficult.

The reason is that you have to keep track of two "separate" rhythms, the normal foot tapping and the more irregular accents. I'd suggest just adding ONE accent at a time like Justin said in the vid and just play the rest normally until it feels comfortable, then add another.

After a few days my foot didn't feel the need to stray anymore and I can just play the rhythm without having to think too much about it. I haven't gotten it down perfect yet, but I can go on for like a minute or so before a mistake sneaks in. Now that it feels more natural it also stopped feeling like two separate rhythms going on at the same time. In my mind they've sort of fused together and are just part of a whole. Give it some time. :)

donZabol

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 11:22:51 am »
I have a problem with that E shape barre chord pattern. When i'm relaxing it the note on the low e string is ringing a little longer than the others.

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 11:42:14 pm »
...as I attempt to tap my foot...

Hate to go all "wu wu", but...  Don't attempt to tap your foot, let the foot tap itself.  It will find the beat.

I dont completely agree with you.

It took me alot of focus and concentration to get my foot tapping on beat by itsself.
But at the start I was like, counting 1,2,3,4 and tapping my foot without playing.
Then I was strumming on 1,2,3,4 and then I was strumming on 1&2,3&4 and that gave me a bit of trouble but i focussed the first few days and then it came to me out of nothing.

But I still had to focus at the start.

Yithpistol

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 12:00:28 am »
I am having the very likely common problem of tapping my foot on the accent. I think this was enforced by starting out with accenting the first beat when learning the 16th note strumming. My muscles seem to associate the accent with a foot tap. Everytime I accent a beat my foot goes to tap it. Drives me crazy. I always drag this part of the regimen past 5 mins and into 10 or 15 because I feel like I am almost there.

So I guess the consensus here is to do it REALLY SLOWLY. I had some progress letting each metronome beat represent an 8th note. When the beat is too slow (30-40) it presents a totally new problem of trying to play evenly through a large gap of time between beats.

So Day 3 on IF-2 and I am still trudging through this accent pattern. Still, it seems a really great way to learn to play & count & "think" complicated rhythms. I have a feeling when I get through this I will be very proud of myself.

Any other advice on getting the foot in control and independent of the accent?

Offline jerronimo3000

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 01:20:39 am »
like you said, you just have to do it very very very very very slowly.  Try counting out loud, without playing your guitar, and stress the #, ee, and, or uh for the accent that you would normally play.  Tap your foot only on the number.  This should help you associate the number with a foot tap and not an accented syllable.  Once you can do this, get your guitar and continue saying the rhythm out loud while you play.  As always, start slow.  :)

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 09:59:17 pm »
Something somewhat related, I have huge trouble playing a reggae beat at full speed (16th note strummin)

When I do it slow I can say "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" and tap on 1-2-3-4 and strum on the &'s, but when I speed it up I really have to focus ALOT to keep strumming on the and's. Dont have it SOMEHOW with accents when I was tapping in IM-2 lol, weird huh?

You'd think that that would be harder (accents)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 05:34:02 pm »
What songs do people know that use this Bo Diddley pattern? I have never listened to any Bo Diddley before. The ones that I have heard are

Faith - George Michael
Le Freak - Chic

and various George Thorogood songs.

What others do people know?
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 01:45:55 pm »
Any of you that are struggling to keep your foot going solid while you're doing the 16th strumming patterns, including the accents - by far the best thing you can do is to practice at a slow to medium tempo, forget the accents, and just really work on getting a really strong down feeling on the beat. A solid tab of the foot combined with that down strum on the beat is what you really after.

Of course, playing with a metronome as well should help you keep the tempo even and consistent too.

DeathMagnetic

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 02:19:14 pm »
How well should I be able to play this before moving ahead to the next rhythm-lesson?

I can play it right now with the accents and foot tapping only on the beat, without a problem. I can't count that good in my head though. I can't count the beats only (like: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4), but I can count 1-e-&-a-2-e-&-a and so on.

Should I move the the next, or should the counting be 100% before?

augiewaz

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 08:35:37 pm »
Does anyone know what speed we should be going up to on the metronome for this?
I can go up to 90 without issues, slowing working up towards 100.

I dont want to know in the sense of being super fast but more what kind of speed could you expect a song that incorporates such a rhythm to be played at.

Thanks

Offline filiped

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 10:47:01 pm »
hi everyone.

excuse me, so, in the future I still gotta tap de foot on the beat?
is much harder to be playing a song while thinking about it. It realy goes instinctly?

Can do it, but I still get lost in the midle of the patern sometimes and gotta stop and think about what I was doing.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 11:03:57 pm »
Tapping your foot is not just for beginners. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJ1k2HMoRU

I always tap mine EXCEPT in this Bo Diddly pattern, which I still cant quite get. So, I am a bad boy.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 12:03:41 am »
Tapping your foot or bobbing your head will become natural as your internal metronome kicks in.
Watch Justin when he's playing a song. He keeps in the groove by bobbing his head.
http://justinguitar.com/en/SB-301-HoleHearted-Extreme.php

Get The Forum As A Mobile App